Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ocean Liners: Speed and Style. Exhibition at the V&A Museum London and Dundee.  (Read 3907 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Anyone interested in the classic age of ocean liner travel will be interested in the forthcoming exhibition at the V&A Museum. The Exhibition will run from Feb 3 to June 17 in London and then transfer to th V&A Dundee from September 15 to Feb 24 2019
Exhibits include an 18ft model of Queen Elizabeth plus many items of unique memorabilia from the Golden Age of Travel.
Full details here:
https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/ocean-liners-speed-style?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjaisq8vp2AIV7bvtCh151AZcEAAYASAAEgKIG_D_BwE

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Colin thanks for that.  Ticket price seems a bit high.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Yes, but it seems to be the norm for these exhibitions now! I suppose it is a unique opportunity though.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

I was on a Mediteranean cruise on Cunard Queen Elizabeth 18 months ago and we had a series of talks on the classic Liners.  By chance one day I had a light lunch and it was a bit crowded and shared a table with a gentleman of about my age.  After introductions he turned out to be the lecturer and we had a fascinating long lunch.
He spent the whole summer spending a week on a ship and then picking up another one, giving his lecture.  No pay just food and board for a one hour lecture every day.
A rather pleasant working holiday.
I was tempted to be a dancing 'gigolo' on cruise ships, they have agencies for this, about 10 years ago. ( I have my certificates!) That is not so good 3 dance sessions a day and frequently the 'rep' on a tourist coach.  I was chatting with a dance host, they are all men, and he said it was hard work, same conditions, no pay and no romancing the ladies!
regards Roy.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

What was his name Roy?

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Colin I can't remember but I will check my diary to see if I noted it down.  He was very good and very knowledgable on the subject.
There were many lectures during the 17 day cruise but few were even vaguely technical.  I think you have said that you are not a stranger to cruises, the reason I did not recognise him straight away was that I watched the TV relay of his lecture in our stateroom.  (You do not have cabins anymore!).  It was a lovely view sitting on the balcony and we had good weather 80% of the time

Personally I would not cruise again, I was restless half of the time finding I was filling in time (excellent library).  I went dancing twice a day and that was good but wearing on the knees. But I am not one to sit in the sun and the pool was quite small, it was a nice but I have ticked that box so that's it.

As a tip for a newcomer, arrive at the terminal (we went to Southampton) several hours before you are told and you will get on early.  For us it was much nicer to have lunch on the ship and wait for the room to be cleaned than standing up queuing at the check in.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Was it William (Bill) Miller?

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Colin, I have checked my diary and I only made a passing comment, no names, sorry I don't know, Bill Miller may have been the guy I can't remember.  Does Mr. Miller do that as a past time?
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

William (Bill) Miller is maritime royalty! You may have been in the presence of greatness!

http://www.billmilleratsea.com/

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Colin, I do not recognise him, must be an 'also ran' that I met.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

I visited the Exhibition yesterday, it was fabulous - much more to see than I expected.

Report and pics on Model Boats Website: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=133266#2319184

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer

Very cool.  The streamline designed liner was the work of Norman Bel Geddes.  I've often thought it would make a great model but you'd spend a lot of your time pond-side explaining that "it doesn't go down! it's not a submarine!"  Actually, it would make a really cool submarine ocean liner too!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.