Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem in Sunny LLanberis: August 30, 2008 - August 31, 2008
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhemers weekend in Sunny Llanberis 2008  (Read 163803 times)

andyn

Re: Mayhemers weekend in Sunny Llanberis 2008
« Reply #475 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:55 pm »

Didn't take a single photo all weekend, trusted you lot with that O0

Too busy playing with proper boats in my Sexy Waders  {-)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #476 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:37 pm »

its 10 mins drive from the lake and the contact info was posted by Stavros in the camping info thread.
:)

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

The long Build

« Reply #477 on: August 31, 2008, 10:10:42 pm »

Llanberis   The Movie

Just some clips I took .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3DXy_rWRP8

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #478 on: August 31, 2008, 10:12:55 pm »

bryn afon farm b&b: tel 01286 673 188

TugCowboy

« Reply #479 on: August 31, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon
Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Wow guys! looks like Stavros really organised a hell of a weekend. I really wish I could have come but It's been a hectic one as it is. I will certainly come to any further events organised there.
I really feel I missed out, and I'm sure I did!

Alex

andyn

« Reply #480 on: August 31, 2008, 10:21:55 pm »

Yup I would also like to say well done to Stavros, one hell of a show you put on there mate.

Kept us guys busy, and still kept the coffee coming our way even though we won all you electric guys' awards O0

Well done stavros ;D

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #481 on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:49 pm »

...yes before you ask, I hired a row boat to get those shots

And whilst he was in it - two tugs, Ironsider and Odin pushed his row boat around quite a bit  {-) {-)

andyn

« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2008, 10:40:33 pm »

Yes and I pushed him off in me waders O0

barryfoote

« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2008, 07:51:43 am »

Llanberis   The Movie

Just some clips I took .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3DXy_rWRP8

Excellent.

Gave us non attenders a real flavour of what we missed.

Barry

Stavros

« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2008, 08:50:09 am »

Hi Eddy approx 4 miles from venue to where Ghost stayed

Stavros

Captain Povey

« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2008, 09:41:27 am »

Well done Stavros, I wish I could have been there it looks like a great weekend. Looking at the video and listening to the voices and laughter it comes across just how much fun people were having, brilliant. I will have to get better organised for the next one and get there. Cheers, Graham.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2008, 01:52:50 pm »

I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I was coming, as you know, but had tooth ache all week end. It's now sorted with a missing rear molar and instructions not to do any work today.

Are there any pictures of the scale models? and did the large Waverley make an appearance please?

Hope to to be at the Warwick show later in the year. (gotta get my fix, as they say)

cheers... ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

SAB93

« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2008, 01:58:10 pm »

Hey Stavros,
It was an amazing and impressive weekend i enjoyed it alot  O0
You did a marvelous job and it was nice for us 'petrol heads' to learn about all the other models aswell!
Sally, Robin & Sue Butler

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2008, 02:33:55 pm »

well it was great to see some IC boats running, we dont get to see those in stoke on trent, the council has banned them

SAB93

« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:52 pm »

Oh dear although it is understandable some of the IC boats can be very dangerous

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2008, 04:04:49 pm »

Only if you get hit by one!

Yes they are big, fast smell & noisy... but what great fun they are and really impressive!  O0
I haven't done or even seen Offshore racing for ages but seeing the ones at Llanberis left wondering If mine will still fire up!  8)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »

Bring it down to our lake sometime martin, you're always welcome there, we'll get it running O0

SAB93

« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »

Glad to hear that people actually enjoyed the IC racing :)
Well here is my report on the Llanberis weekend its been sent to OMRA so fingers crossed guys!

Model Boat Mayhem Llanberis weekend

we were invited to an event held in the north of Wales in a place called Llanberis. The event was organised by a group called Model Boat Mayhem and the administrator was a man called Dave Jones (but as we knew him Stavros). Dave organised and controlled the whole day alongside him was his right hand man (steamboat) Phil.  All throughout the day different boats set sail on the three lagoons each one having a different purpose. There where competitions held and we flew the OMRA flag high and proud winning a few of them ourselves. We saw Tugs, Grey boats, Springer’s, steam boats and even submarines and each one was controlled differently to the other. Some of the club members allowed us to control their boats and have a go; in exchange we answered questions they wished to know about our club and boats. We also took part in a night sail with electric and pilot boats with torches and LED lights all over them trying to support them as much as they supported us during our demo of how fast our boats really can go.
The weekend was extremely well organised with a first aider on site all day to help if needed, lucky he wasn’t but he had a great time experiencing all the different types of boats with his son. There was a lady called Margret who handed out free tea and coffee making sure we were all well watered and she was even nice enough to fill our flasks before we headed home. The warden showered us with intriguing visits and he looks forward to next year seeing more of the OMRA crew and there speed demon boats. There were two trade stalls on site, Model Power and Component Shop, where people bought fittings and electronics for their boats.
The venue was very sheltered by the surrounding Snowdonia National Parks’ mountains so the little amount of wind gave us a flat calm lake. The lake was huge, roughly 1 mile wide with a length of around 2 – 2 ½ mile (Plenty of room for our boats, big and small). The car park was £3.00 for the day with toilets next to the slate museum and there were train rides up to mount Snowdon suitable for all the family. There was always something to do even if you weren’t very interested in the boats.
There weren’t as many OMRA members there as expected as many pulled out at the last minute but we did have our representatives. Doing such a marvellous job so far, we have been invited back to do our stuff again next year! Many members of the model boat mayhem and the public seemed very interested in what we do and how it’s organised, questions where thrown around and answered easily so that they could be understood. We helped out a new member of the OMRA club called Gary who has made his boat by scratch due to sheer interest in IC racing. Over the weekend he had various problems and after some help from Bill Warder and Robin Butler his boat was soon up and running! With thanks to Andy and his waders for constant launching and retrieving, things finally worked out for Gary. He was so determined to make his boat run well he won the Welsh leek award for perseverance. So by helping new members of OMRA while we were there everyone seemed happy and all the boats worked well in the end! It was a decent and enjoyable experience for all, exchanging knowledge on subjects and just being helpful all round.
Overall I would say it was a very successful and enjoyable experience to be able to share our knowledge and experiences with newbie racers and the members of the model boat mayhem who haven’t even saw an IC boat race before! We learnt a lot about the other boats and even about our own , we were well looked after and basically had a ecstatic time, it is recommended that next year you go even if you only turn up for the one day because it’s a lot of fun and new friends can be made.
Report by Sally Butler

OMRA representatives
Bill Warder
Andrew Nightingale
Robin Butler
Gary and the Davey Jones Locker Club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2008, 05:17:07 pm »

After a marathon round trip, ( due to me trust the stupid Crap Nav, 5 1/2 hours to do a 4 hour journey  >:( )
I'm back in safe 'flat lands' of East Anglia ( these mountain things will never catch on! ), back home and back to work.......groan!

Just quickly while I'm on tea break:

Well done Stavros, worked like Trojan all weekend.
( Stavros' knee was playing up and had to go home at one stage in obvious agony but was back a little while later all Drugged up and dashing about keeping everyone happy.) 'Hats off' to you sir!   Stavros knows how to put on a show I can tell you. The 6 low level flypast's by the mountain rescue helicopter was most impressive!

Steamboat Phil supplied a loads of equipment, including Free tea, coffee and biscuits.... and good entertainment.

Well done to Margaret for making the tea.... what a fun lady!

Highlights of the weekend....
The venue - the most picturesque model boat venues I've even been to ... one of the most picturesque Anything I've been to!
The OMRA racing,
The "Owl & the Pussy cat" in the rescue boat.
Margaret in the tea marquee.
The Colwyn bay MBC display.
Fouling Hanna's Springer on a obstacle mooring line.....
Doing exactly the same thing to Big Don's Northsider five minutes later... subsequently being banned from the lake!
Phil loosing at Straight Running again!
Great to see some very old boats (mainly 2nd hand from flebay) restored and working again.
The Suzy Q speed ski boat........ with working driver and skier!
Unpressurised sales talk from Mark - A Model World - and parting with money.
Unpressurised sales talk from Ian - The Component Shop - and parting with money.
Jay's totally indestructible speed boat - hit every rock at least 10 times and flew up out of the water at least 6 times and was still the last boat running!
Meeting up with many Mayhemers.
Meeting TigerTiger.

Parking within 10 feet of the water.... for everybody!
Facilities and toilets with 2 minutes walk.
The Vivian Diving Centre lake.
All the free slate.
The Slate Museum ( a MUST see! )
'Pete's Eats' breakfast.

Great cooperation between all all parties attending, (apart from one stroppy canoeist who tried to make a point of setting of between all the model boats...)
Friendly atmosphere of all attending.
Long unhurried chats with fellow modellers.
.... The venue and scenery... truly spectacular scenery.

Photos to follow......

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2008, 05:29:32 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #496 on: September 01, 2008, 05:32:35 pm »

I would just like to say a VERY BIG THANK YOU to Stav and Steamboatphil and crew for organising this weekend. Angie, Hannah and me had a great time and we can't wait till the next one.
Memorable moments:-
Martin tangling Hannahs Springer  ::) ::) ::)
Martin (again) tangling Dons Northsider tug ::) ::) ::) Nobody would let him near a transmitter after that!!! O0 O0
Phil walking into the lake to rescue a model and he forgot to put his waders on {-) {-) {-) ::) ::) ::)
Hannah winning her second award for her Springer O0 O0 O0
Meeting the OMRA guys and gals and watching these loonies race :D :D :D "Got to get me one of those" was Angies first words when they started running.
Meeting old friends and making new ones O0 O0

Mark, Angie and Hannah.

I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

The long Build

« Reply #497 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:17 pm »

Martin tangling Hannahs Springer  ::) ::) ::)
Martin (again) tangling Dons Northsider tug ::) ::) ::) Nobody would let him near a transmitter after that!!! O0 O0

I think a new thread should be started here  " Have You Been Martin'd " {-) {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #498 on: September 01, 2008, 05:38:45 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #499 on: September 01, 2008, 05:42:40 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.