Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > BRUSHLESS Motors and Speed Controllers

Which motors

<< < (2/4) > >>

canabus:
Hi Lifeboat
Check out the Hobbyking web site on brushless motors e.g. 4250-410, 4250-500, G60-500 and the 5055 series.
These have the specs, current and ESC requirements.
These motors are about 1300 watts(about 2HP)each.
If you use car ESCs like the HK60a-SL or HK100A you can run 3S(11.1volts) or 4S(14.8 volts).
A program card is required, but it's very easy to use.
I can post my setup on the ESCs if you require!!!
You require two ESCs(one for each motor) also a Y connector to link together for one channel(disconnect one of the red leads on one ESC).
Batteries you require are Lipo ones to handle the current draw, sorry the others will not cut the mustard.
5800mah 40C will work OK.
Canabus
Battery weight is between 400 and 550 grams each.

chas:
We might need a reality check here, this is a displacement boat, which seldom need much power, it depends on what it is. As an example, my 4 foot warship runs on 7.2 volts, and less than 2 amps, say about 12 watts. That makes it go well over scale speed.  If the model were one of the displacement lifeboats, that would be another matter.
  500 kV out runners should be fine for a big prop, but this also depends on the detail.
 Lastly, if the motors are low consumption, say less than 5 amps, they will work just fine on lead acid batteries of 10 ah or more.
  The devil is in the detail here, and until we know more, it's all speculation.
Chas

Netleyned:
A six foot displacement lifeboat methinks.
A couple of T12 from Mobile marine, with
big props and Gel Cells to use as power/
ballast.
Why o Why brushless?

Ned

chas:
Ned, if it does turn out to be a lifeboat, I absolutely agree. The T12s are superb for that sort of thing.
Chas

Lifeboat 70-001:
Thanks to you all for the info. Bit more on the build, like I have said six foot long, 18" beam, 7" draft, all up weight 150lb / 68kg, 90mm props. All ready tried a couple of blower type motors with problems ie blowing fuses (action Esc)  and yes I tried different combinations with Esc's, motors (4500rpm) by changing them around , on there own, with mixer, different motors etc. Or perhaps there is a problem I'm missing with it keep blowing fuses or Esc's faulty. So I thought why not brushless because some tug owners are using them now with good results but sounds like it might be an expensive option using brushless ecpecially on the battery side of things so to get decent running time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version