Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Symmetrical Boat  (Read 11842 times)

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Symmetrical Boat
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:57:37 am »

This is my first model boat. It is a wooden 1/50 fishing/trawler type. A kit from China.
It is going to be symmetrical (I hope) because I ordered two kits and will join two bow sections. The plan is to have a boat, in a diorama, which will travel up and down a section of river water. The does not turn around, so it must not look as if the boat is reversing back along the river.

Here is an Internet picture of the completed boat. I photo edited to see what it might look like with two bow sections.
Bottom photo shows how I received the package and what was inside it.

Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Symmetrical Boat
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:30:53 am »

I cut the two keels and decks in half and use scrap template wood for joiners.
I used heavy glass items to apply pressure, and the glue does not stick to glass.
The bottom photo is just to see what it might look like.

Peter.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:59 am »

That's a neat solution to a "diorama dilemma" - nice one :-)

...oh, and a warm welcome to the Forum :-))

Regards,

Ray.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:57:25 pm »

Welcome  :-))

I can think of another solution for dioramas, that may or may not work here. Sorry if I am telling anyone how to suck eggs.
If you have something that only travels from left to right and right to left again, you can still turn a boat. Have a piece of string/line attached to the traveler, with the other end attached to the keel of the boat, towards the front, with some slack in it. The string will pull the boat, and the boat will turn on its own.
Just a thought that entered my head.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:21 pm »

and the boat will turn on its own.

Always assuming the 'waterway' is wide enough to allow the turn.
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:48:20 pm »

and the boat will turn on its own.

Always assuming the 'waterway' is wide enough to allow the turn.

Granted :-)

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:25:08 pm »

Many years back, for our Model Railway Club annual exhibition, we cannibalised a section of an old layout for a window display in a local shop. A GWR railcar ran across a viaduct, and off stage, then ran back again. This set up ran 16 hours a day 7 days a week for three weeks. Each day I changed the railcar (we had two) and serviced the other. No bother with turning around, both railcars were double ended. An electronic counter kept a tally of the number of "trips" and after the exhibition I sold them both. "Mint condition, carefully run in, regularly serviced, only 44 miles on the clock."

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:18:23 am »

That's a neat solution to a "diorama dilemma" - nice one :-)

...oh, and a warm welcome to the Forum :-))

Regards,

Ray.
Thanks Ray for welcome.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:23:44 am »

Welcome  :-))

I can think of another solution for dioramas, that may or may not work here. Sorry if I am telling anyone how to suck eggs.
If you have something that only travels from left to right and right to left again, you can still turn a boat. Have a piece of string/line attached to the traveler, with the other end attached to the keel of the boat, towards the front, with some slack in it. The string will pull the boat, and the boat will turn on its own.
Just a thought that entered my head.
Thanks tigertiger for welcome.
That is an interesting thought. There is enough room for the boat to 'rotate'. But since I now have a symmetrical boat frame, I'll keep following this line of construction.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:33:06 am »

Many years back, for our Model Railway Club annual exhibition, we cannibalised a section of an old layout for a window display in a local shop. A GWR railcar ran across a viaduct, and off stage, then ran back again. This set up ran 16 hours a day 7 days a week for three weeks. Each day I changed the railcar (we had two) and serviced the other. No bother with turning around, both railcars were double ended. An electronic counter kept a tally of the number of "trips" and after the exhibition I sold them both. "Mint condition, carefully run in, regularly serviced, only 44 miles on the clock."
This boat will have to work whenever somebody wishes to operate the working diorama, which is a lift-span bridge. The boat traverses under the raised bridge. Upon the next bridge operation the boat goes back under the bridge. The whole display is for the Ballina Maritime Museum, Australia. So I am hoping that this display of working parts will operate for many years to come. I know that one day it will cease to operate and nobody around to fix it. On that day the display will no longer rely on its working parts for its attraction. I am aware of this while building the diorama. I am putting as much creative effort as I can in the hope that it will be able to stand on its own as an attractive display when static.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 01:46:57 am »

I decided to raise the deck a little by adding some wood between bulkheads and deck. The reason is to have a straighter angle between hull and water (by raising the water line (so-to-speak). This will make it easier to separate the boat from its flat base. To explain further: the boat will be attached to a vane which passes through the display table. A pulley system, under the table, will move the vane along a 3 mm gap (slot) in the display table (river portion of the diorama). The boat needs to come off its waterline plate for any repairs to its navigational lighting.

Peter.

RST

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 01:51:41 am »

I was gonna say, if it's a back and forth movement you require perhaps look at model rail gear.  "Auto reverser" modules like "Heathcote" work day on day for eons on DC track and can be mixed with other controls.  If you can hide a pair of OO or N gauge rails buried in there and perhaps something like a stripped out Kato locomotive body in the hull, the control of that is potentially very cheap, simple and reliable.  Kato is very good quality compred to others -and being Japanese potentially allot cheaper for you.  Tomix do mechanisms also and are also very good quality.

Cheers,

Rich

...late thought if you truly want nothing mech showing then there is a system which uses a plastic gear chain with magnets mounted on it.  This appeared i model rail circles pat 1 or 2 years.  The magnets pull on anything corresponding top-side.  Should be easy-enough to find on the web or replicate otherwise?

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 02:23:26 am »

:-)) Thanks Rich.
Sounds like a good idea with the railway system. Will give it a go if what I have already planned and half built does not work, or fails to be reliable.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 07:17:43 am »

By the way, all two instruction sheets had minimal writing and all in Chinese. So I had to simply go by the pictures. Even the pictures did not show all the available parts. So I researched on the Internet what these boats actually looked like. From this I also decided to add extra bits to the boat as well.

Planking seemed too much tension required to just pin it down and then rely on the bonding strength of PVA glue to keep it from unspringing. So I Googled about planking model wooden boats. Very interesting info. I learnt a lot. But I was not prepared to buy a planking iron. Then I saw an image for a DIY iron via a tea-candle and a tin can. I laughed, because I use such a device in winter to keep my cup of coffee hot in the garage. So I used that, and it worked wonders in shaping the planking strips.

Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:35:50 am »

Hi tinny, can you let me know where the kit came from?  It looks quite a neat kit.  Great tip on planking wood bending!
regards Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:25 am »

I cannot see the picture of the plank bender method too well Tinny. Is the plank fixed to the can?

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 10:10:56 am »

Hi tinny, can you let me know where the kit came from?  It looks quite a neat kit.  Great tip on planking wood bending!
regards Roy
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIY-Kits-1-50-Scale-Wooden-Sailing-Boat-Model-Ship-Assembly-Building-Educational-/352181639869
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:06 am »

I cannot see the picture of the plank bender method too well Tinny. Is the plank fixed to the can?
See photo top right. The upper plank is just resting on tin can for the snap shot.
The tin can gets very hot within seconds, so don't touch the can or you will get burnt!
What I do is place the flat piece of planking on top of curvature of tin can (Tin can is clamped to table). Then I use a screwdriver blade edge to hold down the end of the plank at the top and slowly pull down the planking strip and wrap it around the curvature and keep it there for a few seconds. The plank is then curved. You can curve the plank to basically follow the shape of the hull. The whole idea, as far as I know, is to minimize stress on the planking when gluing into place.
Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 10:27:38 am »

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:20 am »

Thanks Tinny, I checked it out but at 10 inches a little too small, I was looking for a little one about 18 inches long.  It is still a bargain at about £7.  Perhaps they only sell to Australia?  Where abouts are you Tinny?  I shall be near Sydney from mid Feb for a month.
regards Roy

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 11:35:41 am »

Thanks Tinny, I checked it out but at 10 inches a little too small, I was looking for a little one about 18 inches long.  It is still a bargain at about £7.  Perhaps they only sell to Australia?  Where abouts are you Tinny?  I shall be near Sydney from mid Feb for a month.
regards Roy
I am from Ballina, NSW. 800 km north of Sydney, 30 km south of Byron Bay.
Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »

Hi tinny I am visiting Woy Woy to stay with my son, hoping for an early summer!  Bit of full size sailing etc.
regards Roy

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 12:13:46 pm »

Hi tinny I am visiting Woy Woy to stay with my son, hoping for an early summer!  Bit of full size sailing etc.
regards Roy
I believe that is a nice location. I hope you will have a safe (sailing) and pleasant time with your son.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 07:09:23 am »

Since the boat needs to appear to be in water I do not have to plank the whole hull. So I figured where I thought the waterline will be and marked the bulkhead edges around the boat. Then attached a plank along the waterline.

I discovered that the best method was to trim the planks so they will be evenly spaced at each bulkhead. But that seemed too much work considering the boat will be painted and the planking will no longer be seen. Instead I just added planking top and bottom and then trimmed planks to fit the triangular gaps.

You know, I enjoyed doing the planking. I can see the attraction to building wooden boats, even scratch-building them. I might take this up as a hobby after the diorama project.
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 11:18:57 am »

Sandpapered the hull to take out the plank edges.
Then used a hacksaw to cut the boat in half. I cut just past the waterline so I got some bulkhead to sand down.

Peter.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.