Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modellbau Sievers Crane Barge 1/2 info  (Read 3069 times)

RST

Modellbau Sievers Crane Barge 1/2 info
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:26 pm »

Hello,

I'm scratch building my own version of the Van-Esch crane barge 1/2 after fond memories from old of the German kit in MB magazine.  I am NOT building a replica -Van Esch have 4 barges and mine will be "Crane Barge 5" or something like that!  However I'm surprised how little there is on the web about this kit -did nobody buy or build this now obsolete it!!!???

I have the original articles from MB back in the day, there is a youtube video here...

https://youtu.be/8EfOlVMX9mw

...did nobody else build this kit?  I'm looking for any better pictures other than the plethora I have from google searches and the 3/4 pics of barge 3/4 from their website.  I have exhausted google images and every other means of searching.

My model is about 150mm short of prototype at 1:48 / 1:50 scale  -but fitted in with my wood stock.  Single prop with gear pump as bowthruster.  Made my own schilling rudder.

After some very long searching I finally found what the square board evident on allot of European barges and tugs was for Lo!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_sign

Cheers for any model pic help and I'll have to sort out some proper image hosting since demise of photobucket,

Rich

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Modellbau Sievers Crane Barge 1/2 info
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:06 am »

I have just watched the YouTube film.

She seems a simple enough boat to scratch build using the information given.  I rather fancy the crane would take an immense amount of power to lift the boom however.  Indeed, I rather think it might tip the craft over if hung out over the side.  %)

I look forward to your pictures when you get up and running.  Try our picture forum system which you may find satisfactory.

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:28:52 am »

No it wouldn't Ken. Booms of this size typically have a lifting weight of around 20 tonnes, out sideways and I reckon it would be pumping water into ballast tanks to counteract any leverage the boom may induce - just the same as your Seabex does in real life.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:30 am »

My reasoning for the difficulty in lifting this boom is based on it's length.

I have built a few cranes. The first Seabex I built lifted Ok because the arm length was in a decent proportion to the height of the tower and the multi-pulleys were able to overcome the leverage required.

Going by the picture shown below, the arm length is tremendously out of proportion and I figured the forces need to lift it were considerably larger. I should imagine the use of hydraulics would be essential as an ordinary model boat motor is not going to be powerful enough.

I had the same problem when I built my ladder fire engine out of aluminium, where the lifting force would have been tremendous and I could not work out a way of doing it. The proper way would have been to fit hydraulics and making the ladder out of lighter material.

Hope this helps my argument.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RST

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:29:16 pm »

Guys I don't think there's an argument about cranes here but the boom looks proportionally correct to me.  If you look on the specs for the barge I think it's 10Te SWL.  I won't be r/c'ing my crane but it wouldn't be that hard to do.  It will have to be repositionable for access to the deckhouse and the main hatch.

Interestingly half the pictures of the barge show steaming along with the boom fully raised!  TBH there's probably not much weight in it and ballasting must take care of it.  I presume the crane is that long with the fly jib so that it can load from the quayside or straight onto a ships deck -the lifting radius when slewed out must be relatively short, and ships spares are often not that heavy.

I clean forgot about AIS and there's a fair few more detailed pics on marinetraffic!

Mine's only a passing resemblance but a pic so far is here.  I'm not to happy with my crane boom, I think it's too deep and I'll probably shave the bottom of it down a bit.

(sorry, can't get anywhere with PB these days, it won't even let me rotate the pic.  Trying to set something else up now).

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/RSTA/IMAG2508.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

RST

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »

No it wouldn't Ken. Booms of this size typically have a lifting weight of around 20 tonnes, out sideways and I reckon it would be pumping water into ballast tanks to counteract any leverage the boom may induce - just the same as your Seabex does in real life.

I can say on her sister ship we had 2 things to aid lifting ops (we had a 150Te knuckleboom by the time I was on her).  There was an Intering system based on compressed air -loud and a pain when mobilising as the exhaust was on port side aft -very noisy on the quayside!  I also submitted the deck plan to the Bridge for each project.  The Crane Op would radio the bridge before a decent size lift and the First Officer etc would make sure the boat was ballasted accordingly by shifting water in/out of the trimming tanks.  I think it was Intering for the anti-heeling -it's going back a few years now!  I'm guessing SSL use ballast tanks for lifts on this river barge, not sure -there's not much info out there.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.