Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Never trust your eyes, read the ad!  (Read 1560 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Never trust your eyes, read the ad!
« on: February 16, 2018, 08:51:53 am »

I was on Facebook yesterday and an advert for Aliexpress pops up. Mini Lathe etc etc $70. Wow I could really do with one of those. However instead of just clicking and buying after seeing the ad and photo, I actually logged into ( I have an account) to Aliexpress.

I then searched for the seller and lathe, lo and behold the price and photo did not tally! $70 dollars would get me a vice mounted rotary attachment that you turn by hand.

The lathe in the photo which can be had in the UK under various brand names was much more, £388 more plus another £310 shipping >>:-( £698 in total, for no warranty etc etc, when for a few quid more you can get the full coverage and protection offered in the UK by buying there. But one has to ask just how the Chinese can get away with adverts like this and what happens to the gullible people taken in by them? Caveat Emptor, as the saying goes.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Never trust your eyes, read the ad!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:07:01 am »

I recently got caught out on E-bay (I've sent a complaint to E-bay but don't hold out much hope) I was after a large capacity Flash drive (Memory stick, etc ) and found some 64 Gb on fleabay at a very good price, so good that I bought 2. When I received them I formatted the flash drive just to make sure there was nothing nasty hiding on the stick and the format confirmed that the drive had 61 Gb unused capacity but I could only get about 4 Gb of data on the drive.  The scam is that they take a small capacity drive and jigger the firmware so that it reads as a 64Gb drive.  It still works but will only accept the smaller amount of data. 
Lesson learned. "If something looks to good to be true, it usually isn't!"
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:25 am »

I recently got caught out on E-bay (I've sent a complaint to E-bay but don't hold out much hope) I was after a large capacity Flash drive (Memory stick, etc ) and found some 64 Gb on fleabay at a very good price, so good that I bought 2. When I received them I formatted the flash drive just to make sure there was nothing nasty hiding on the stick and the format confirmed that the drive had 61 Gb unused capacity but I could only get about 4 Gb of data on the drive.  The scam is that they take a small capacity drive and jigger the firmware so that it reads as a 64Gb drive.  It still works but will only accept the smaller amount of data. 
Lesson learned. "If something looks to good to be true, it usually isn't!"

The memory stick scam has been around for years - only buy them from reputable sellers.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:59:58 am »

I like these three

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:03:28 am »

The memory stick scam has been around for years - only buy them from reputable sellers.

True. I got caught once but ebay were very good about it and shut down the seller.   >:-o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.