Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Model Boat for fishing?  (Read 3249 times)

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
RC Model Boat for fishing?
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:37:38 am »

Has anybody used there RC boat for taking out a fishing line to the exact spot, where that BID fish hides out, and drops the baited line; and then comes back?
Peter.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: RC Model Boat for fishing?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:41:31 am »

Hi Peter, have used this method many times, you need a boat with a flush rear deck, put the bait and sinker on the rear deck then with your reel bail arm open gently move into the position to drop the bait. Depending on the water depth allow for the line drop buy moving further than you need, close the bail arm and gently pull the tackle off the deck.  Allow it to sink before moving the boat and move ahead to clear the line.
I have used this method at 100m range, but it is difficult to guess the right spot

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:19:09 am »

Sounds good.
I was thinking of more shallower waters near the mangroves to catch a Mangrove Jack.
Peter.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:24:02 am »

Peter, dont know much about mangroves but, prop screens might be useful, but the same use would apply

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:40:08 am »

Peter check out the bait boat section oon the main index.....plenty of uk based anglers use bait boats for Carp and Pike fishing

Dave

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:49 am »

Peter, dont know much about mangroves but, prop screens might be useful, but the same use would apply
Mark
Thanks Mark, that even makes sense it terms of keeping the line from inadvertent entanglement. I done see the prop getting tangled with the mangroves.

The whole idea of using a boat to cast the line has always intrigued me. The first time I heard anything like this was in the 1960's. An article in a Beach Fishing  magazine. Instead of a boat, it was a inflated wheelbarrow inner tube. The tube was placed in an under-toe (rip-tide) to take the tube past the waves.

From memory, there was a wooden cross beams laid on top of the tube to hold the drop line, sinker and bait. A piece of barley sugar was tied to the cross and the sinker. The barley sugar and sinker was in the water. After several minutes the barley sugar dissolved and dropped the sinker (with bait and the drop line).
Peter.

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:40 am »

Peter check out the bait boat section oon the main index.....plenty of uk based anglers use bait boats for Carp and Pike fishing

Dave
Great. Thank you Dave for reference. Will go and have a look.
Peter.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 09:47:51 am »

I think bait boats are used for just for just that - taking bait out to your chosen spot and unloading,
carrying a line out seems to me rather more of a problem since the weight of the line between rod tip and boat stern
will dip into the water without doubt and pull the hook end off the boat?
N

inertia

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 09:54:48 am »

There's no reason why the sinker and line shouldn't be secured by a servo-operated catch of some sort which you can release with a spare RC channel. Those Mangrove Jacks look like giving some good sport!
DM

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:59:15 am »

Yep! That would of course be a do-able solution . I was looking at the task too simplistically.
N

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:16:04 pm »

Sounds good.
I was thinking of more shallower waters near the mangroves to catch a Mangrove Jack.

ahh, the veritable red snapper.......a tasty meal.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:27 pm »

There's no reason why the sinker and line shouldn't be secured by a servo-operated catch of some sort which you can release with a spare RC channel. Those Mangrove Jacks look like giving some good sport!
DM
ahh, the veritable red snapper.......a tasty meal.
Jim.
Though I have heard about them, I have not as yet caught one nor tasted one.
Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 08:35:06 am »

Hi Tinny I am not a fisherman.  If you take a line out to the mangoves and tangled roots into which I assume the boat can actually access then drop a line.  Will you now have a straight fishing line from the hook to you?  If the unfortunate fish gets into the surrounding tree roots, how will you retrieve him?
I am looking forward to battered flathead and chips at the end of the week!
regards Roy

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 09:50:44 am »

Hello Roy.
...If you take a line out to the mangoves and tangled roots into which I assume the boat can actually access then drop a line.  Will you now have a straight fishing line from the hook to you? ...
I assume so.
...If the unfortunate fish gets into the surrounding tree roots, how will you retrieve him?...
I am not sure.

First of all I plan to drop the bait at the outside edges of the mangroves and roots. Then the straight line between bait and me has limited movement into the thick of things. Another fish we have here, but is now protected, is the Groper. The first thing they do is head for the rocks (its natural habitat). The idea is to hook them and don't give them an inch of escape - no matter how hard they pull and fight. If they snap the line, then a heavier line is needed.
Peter.

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 10:04:53 am »

this is the  bait boats  most anglers use here in the uk  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OSejDlE-4c

Tinny

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:22:31 am »

this is the  bait boats  most anglers use here in the uk  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OSejDlE-4c
Thank you for link.
They are getting more technical these days.
I prefer to build my own. Not because I think I can do better, but half the fun is the build and the experimentation of it all.
Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:05 am »

Further to reply 12 I have just had a very tasty flathead and chips.  Nice weather down here.
Regards Roy

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 05:59:29 pm »

Another approach might be a drone :), I have waterproof one with a servo controlled hook for payload release that might be perfect. Some versions let you use a camera at the same time to scout for the fish first. Not sure if it interests you at all just throwing it out there.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.