Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sub antennas. Do they have to be sealed for underwater travel?  (Read 2539 times)

maplemariner

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
sub antennas. Do they have to be sealed for underwater travel?
« on: January 29, 2018, 03:34:36 am »

I have a Glyn Guest plan for a freelance sub called "SPOOK". I think it is very old, being a dynamic diver for one thing. It says "Plastic Coated Receiver Aerial Wire" must be insulated from contact with water. This is my first sub model so I'm out of touch with the very latest technology. If this is true, how does one insulate the Aerial? A stiff plastic tube with the upper end sealed? Tape wraps around the aerial?

One paradox is the operating drawings note DRAG on the fully extended aerial breaking the surface. Well, yeah, of course.

Some enlightenment please!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: sub antennas. Do they have to be sealed for underwater travel?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:55:09 am »

Hi

I always did seal the end of my R/X aerial if it was out in the water, as I was told that in time water would make its way along the wire by capillary action in to the R/X.

I just used some Milliput to seal the wire also it use to help keep the wire in place Not long after this I started to place them inside.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:23 am »

I think it is always best to seal the aerial wire.

As Fred says, most people operating model subs nowadays seem to leave the aerial inside the dry bit (or the water tight compartment (WTC) so it is perhaps less important. Just stretch the standard aerial wire from the receiver inside the boat. (Referring to 40Mhz here.)

David

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:00 pm »

Hi
I go along with David.

Have a look on the AMS forum http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/ take a look at the [/size]openLRS and 2.4 Ghz and Submarines[/color][/size]  it just may give you some ideas.[/color]
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.