Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New shed. Wood or Metal?  (Read 6871 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New shed. Wood or Metal?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 02:02:12 pm »

.................... I can do this since my wife has now left me.............................

Sounds a rather dramatic solution to wanting a shed!  :}

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »

Just to reinforce what others have said: timber, and as expensive as you can go. A proper timber building  (log cabin type) would be my choice but they are £000's so might be a little out of reach.  A bespoke building from a local company sounds a good prospect, or build your own design and get exactly what you want. But definitely not a B&Q garden shed. However much you work on it, it still won't improve the quality of the basic structure.

Greg

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 03:22:41 pm »

There are a lot of modern replacements for wood these days - look at Cembrit which is a fibre concrete panel that lasts forever. You can get it in large sheets of different colours and surface finishes or even fake wood-grained planks. Doesn't need painting or any maintenance - it's that trendy exterior cladding that architects use on modern buildings.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:48 pm »

Cheers Guys  :-)) :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 03:44:52 pm »

Thinking more about the idea of getting a local builder to do it for you. Other than what has already been said about material costs, they already have the know-how, experience and the tools to do the job. What is more, they can do you proper electrics, with an independent fuse/breaker box in the workshop, and power running into the workshop from underground. That would be much better than the the extension power cord running overhead between the house and the shed, which can be a nuisance as well as a hazard.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:39 pm »

:-)) :-))

One of our shore crew is a qualified spark and as I work in a school which was newly built a while back, I've got lovely aluminium trunking that can be used. Gathering up bits and pieces as I go.

There is a local guy that builds sheds not far from me so going to call out to his workshop over the next few weeks, plus all the others to get a feel of what they can offer.

Declan

inertia

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »

I don't know what planning rules for outbuildings apply in N. Ireland but the English ones are explained here https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/0
I bet there's little difference between the two.
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:42 pm »

Don't the NI ones need to be bomb proof?

Colin

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »

{-) {-)

Not now Colin. Don't ya know there's a ceasefire.  <*<

You've been in yer shed too long :}

Don't the NI ones need to be bomb proof?

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:42 pm »

Spent well over £1500 for a 16x16 wooden shed over 10 yrs ago double cladded it and insulated it before I wored it ect I Every 2 years I give it a coat of Ronseal wood stain to tart it up Only last year I had to replace the roof due to the felt tearing off in a storm But I did use a steel sheet corrugation on top of the exsiting roof after it had dried out ..even when it rains you can not hear it on the roof

Dave

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 09:25:44 pm »

Hmmmmm, think out of the box for a moment.....!

Why not dig down, no one need know, no planning permission, get rid of soil like they did in the 'great escape' and you end up with a weather proof man cave that can double up as a nuclear bunker when Kim Dung Wee pushes the button......... %%
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 10:11:19 pm »

If you cannot have a separate shed for gardening equipment, then have a small section for gardening paraphernalia to live in, possibly with a separate door (like a cupboard?) and then you can keep the wrong things from sneaking into your Mancave.

My friend put a shed up and before he knew it three bikes were stuck in there as well as the lawn mower allowed for making life difficult enough that he stopped using it. I think the roof fell in three or four years ago. He didn't build big things, only looking to paint miniatures, but he has a desk in the bedroom (supportive wife) and uses acrylics.

The moral is, plan ahead and account for all unexpected items 'that might be dumped in the shed'  >:-o
Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 02:59:41 am »

in favour of artificial grass and decking. problems sorted
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 04:47:54 pm »

I have a 3/4" T & G shed which was double dipped and professionally erected on an eco deck with 4" wooden bearers and guttering.  Cost well into the 000's but one of the best investments I made.  I won't allow anything else to be stored in the shed, I have other storage facilities for that.  Lined and carpeted, with frost heaters for nightime use.  I can spend hours out there and even put the old cordless telephone system to good use when we bought the new one.  Means the wife doesn't have to come out and I don't have to go in. ;)   Bought a nice office chair from the local charity shop, and all the racking came from either B & Q or Homebase when it was in the sale. O0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.