Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Job offer, declined  (Read 2601 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Job offer, declined
« on: January 31, 2018, 05:46:56 pm »

My wife is finally thinking about retiring, although she already gets the State Pension.  I retired a few years ago.
She said she might think about getting a part time job, near home, if she gets too bored.
It was then that I offered her the job of Model Boat Makers Apprentice, easily adapted to a part time basis, hours to suit whatever she felt like doing.

For some strange reason she declined the job offer.  No idea why   It is a job that suits me to a tee  ok2
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Job offer, declined
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:45:25 pm »

Is this the one where you get to be a partner and get £250K?
Roy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:00:44 pm »

She might think the instructor can get a little grumpy.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:25 pm »

ahh, but have you offered any desirable incentives. {:-{

that usually does the trick. {-) {-)

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:08:03 pm »

I think you may have frightened her off with the one year contract.
Roy

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:22:53 pm »

She probably thought OH my lord all ill be doing is making the tea or coffe and then thought HANG ON MO I ALLREADY DO THAT so what the heck will I be doing...MMMMMM nowt is going to change so NO

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:34 pm »

I only started building boats because of a faulty television.  Ours only seems to receive forensic dramas !
You know, people combing around a crime scene wearing white teletubby suits.

Frankly she has little interest in what I do in my man cave, so it was pointless trying to encourage an aptitude that didn't exist.  However, I still try (jokingly) once in a while to encourage her. 

She has a big Vauxhall Zafira.  Even the front seat folds flat.  I did ask if she could put me on her insurance . . .
Why?
So I can borrow it on Sundays, when you don't use it.
Why?
Well, then I could take it to the lake, and maybe build bigger boats !
No.
Arbitration can be so monosyllabic  :D

Maybe I should just buy a white Tellytubby suit?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 09:04:59 pm »

I only started building boats because of a faulty television.  Ours only seems to receive forensic dramas !

Frankly she has little interest in what I do in my man cave, so it was pointless trying to encourage an aptitude that didn't exist.  However, I still try (jokingly) once in a while to encourage her. 

She has a big Vauxhall Zafira.  Even the front seat folds flat.  I did ask if she could put me on her insurance . . .
Why?
So I can borrow it on Sundays, when you don't use it.
Why?
Well, then I could take it to the lake, and maybe build bigger boats !
No.
Arbitration can be so monosyllabic  :D

Probably cost you less to buy a Zafira than it would to buy a divorce, {-) %%
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:16:06 pm »

Have you got fully comprehensive insurance Bob? If so you can drive other vehicles  :D Do the sets of keys get hung up on hooks or out in a bowl? If so........

Pond weed is your enemy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »

I brought my model boats with me into my marriage.  Just before the day I made a set of curtains on the sewing machine curtesy mother in law to be, a lovely lady. 
I did not really want to make the curtains but I was learning to use the sewing machine, what I wanted was a set of sails for the yacht I had just made and did not want to cock them up so I needed to practice.
regards Roy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:58:03 am »

Can we hear from Wives & Girl Friends who do take an active interest, occasionally coming to the lake with you, or even build their own boats.  I know you are out there  O0

This thread was not intended to have a go at WAG's, just to highlight some of the difficulties when they decline invitations to become involved in your hobby.

The Old Gals

• Full Mayhemer
  • If you can't beat 'em . . .
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:44 am »

I believe the saying is: “happy wife, happy life” but it does work the other way round.  Boat building keeps him from under my feet and I know where to find him when he’s needed or dinner is ready.  A loud whistle from me (the real McCoy, two fingers in the mouth and a piercing wolf whistle that brings the dog back from a mile away) seems to work.

Come summer I am quite happy to bake a cake or two (and eat any leftover!) and go along to the pond and sail some boats.  I am not into building but do take my technical team (OK, hubbie in disguise) to remedy any issues pondside.  Apparently, I am also renowned (nay, feared!) for my extortion skills in extracting money for raffle tickets etc. 

All in all, it’s great fun, good fellowship and keeps the legs and arms tanned.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:13 am »

Oh! gosh I think I am in love!
Roy

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 12:00:53 pm »

Well Mrs Stav does come to the lake sailing with me

Dave

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »

Have you got fully comprehensive insurance Bob? If so you can drive other vehicles  :D Do the sets of keys get hung up on hooks or out in a bowl? If so........

Um........................not quite.

Some comprehensive policies let you drive other vehicles but some do not.

Insurance cover for vehicles other than the insured is never comprehensive but rather some form of third party cover.

Beware.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »

From what I remember of the police fly on the wall programs (guys in black uniforms  :police: who work with the telly tubbies), insurance to drive anothers vehicle is only possible if you are named on the policy as an additional driver (obviously not the main driver), you can get the owner of the vehicle to add you or another to the policy for any length of time until and upto the policy end date, for a fee.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 04:45:21 pm »

Never mind the insurance company, if the wife says "no" that's final, especially if you're not conversant with picking car locks.

Seriously, You FIRST need the owners permission, then (dependent on the terms of the Policy) may only be third party only covered.  However, with the owners consent it only costs a small amount extra to add a named driver, who will also be comprehensive.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 06:33:51 pm »

My wife has the week planned out, monday morning zumba, tuesday night zumba, wednedsay used to be badminton, thursday pilates, friday shopping, weekends for local hiking.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:01:55 pm »

Useful to know chaps, I will keep that in mind in the future:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 03:05:38 am »

I'm interested in the insurance system in the UK where only specified drivers are permitted to drive a vehicle. Here, my comprehensive policy allows any licenced driver to drive my vehicle, with my permission, of course, although if the driver is under 25, and has an accident, the excess is much higher. I recently changed insurers and was asked if any other member of my family younger than me (they all are :(( ) drove the car. I mentioned our oldest son, who's 56 and lives with us, and immediately got a significant reduction in the premium :-)) . I then asked if two younger family members drove it would they double the discount....... sadly not %) . It was worth a try :} .

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 22 queries.