Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: railing height v scale of model  (Read 3409 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
railing height v scale of model
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:16:07 pm »

this is probably a common question and im about to ask it again,

has anyone got a table which gives the heights of railings, (in particularly the top rail), in relation to scale of boat, so that when building a model you know what stanchions to use. 

going the other way I have the lidl yacht where the top rail is 25mm off the deck.  any ideas as per scale it may be?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: railing height v scale of model
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:03:05 pm »

Given that to be any use railings need to be about 3ft 6 inches to 4ft high - work from there ie at 1/72 scale railings would be .6 -.7 inch (15-71mm).

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »

perhaps someone can do a chart for all to see
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »

What scales do you want? A simple exel spreadsheet would do it?

I seem to be volunteering again - goes against the grain after 38 years in the military  ::)

Doug
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:11 pm »

Ghost

what I really meant was DIY...never mind half way there.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 11:07:17 pm »

Ghost

Here you go

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:28:21 am »

Very nice Doug only one problem, if you are colour blind like a lot of people are, you cant read black printing on a red background. ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:16 am »

Hi all, the scale height of a rail / rope / wire  for a sailing yacht is governed by being able to step over it for leaping off with ropes etc.  So the height of the wire / rope is an inside leg measurement, about 30 inches (75cms).  Sometimes you need to brace yourself with a leg on both sides of the wire!  Too high and it will bring tears to your eyes.
regards to all Roy

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:03 am »

Are stanchions of a standard size? Over a couple of hundred years they must vary. Surely the size required is the size indicated on the plan you're using?

Rick

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:20 am »

Hi all

Colour blindness: all you have to do is load the word doc, double click the spreadsheet it will load into Exel and you can then remove the colours.

Yachts: The question asked was about railings not ropes etc. The height is based on stopping people falling over the edge. 30" doesn't cut it.  :o The scale height can be calculated by dividing the true height in inches/mm by the scale factor. Conversely the true height can be calculated by multiplying the height by the scale factor.

Historic height: as the purpose of railings is to stop people from falling over the edge their height must have been pretty standard. Upon reflection I think 4ft is too high and the range must be between 3ft and 3ft 6inches. That said Rickf is right about using your plan.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 01:39:41 pm »

Dear dougal99,  full size sailing yachts i.e. those with sails, have stanchions with a flexible wire / rope threaded through, you can cock your leg over the wire and stand astride as I said.  Frequently there is a more robust pulpit and possibly a pushpit from where the wire is attached.
Yachts the size of Endeavour at 130 feet loa have this arrangement.

On a sail boat if you are upright you are probably going somewhere and then will sit down.  If you are standing upright you could be on the helm or holding onto the mast or shrouds.  Leaning on the stanchion wires you are not! They give a little support where necessary and will stop you going overboard if you lose your balance.
I have not been sailing for about 11 or 12 years but little has changed in that time, when I was, I was crewing on a Moody 425 which is 42.5 feet loa and visiting quite a few marinas, I saw many sailing boats, but do not remember any with rail stanchions or of a height and robustness you could lean on.  But who am I?  I bet there is a boat out there, somewhere, that  makes me a liar!
regards to all Roy.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 02:07:04 pm »

Having put in my oar earlier, here are some examples from my Torpedo Boat 80 build (1:48 scale) - see works photo below

Upper deck - two rail stanchions - total height 16mm, second rail 8.7mm. Scale height 34 inches

Bandstand (around fwd 3-pdr) - single rail stanchions - height 13.4mm. Scale height 25.3 inches

Turtle deck forecastle - single rail stanchions - height 12.8mm. Scale height 24.1 inches

As you can see, a varied selection. Incidentally, when I eventually get round to fitting them, I will be using James Lane stanchions.

Rick

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:02:30 pm »

OK RickF and roycv I stand/sit/lie down corrected.  :-[

However, I am not about to produce a table of every possible height in every possible scale - life's too short  ;D

Doug
Don't Assume Check

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:16:37 pm »

Hi dougal, Let me give you a hand to get upright again, after all I am  a mere captain and you an Admiral.
regards Roy

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 06:48:34 pm »

It depends on the vintage of your model. Modern regs are specific on bulwark and/or rail heights but in the days when it was down to custom , vessel type and shipbuilder, railings could be low or non-existant. Go to http://www.scotfishmuseum.org and click on 'Reaper' to see a case of the latter. Some vessels might have low bulwarks surmounted by handrails. In short, it's horses for courses and down to research.  :)

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 10:10:54 pm »

Are stanchions of a standard size? Over a couple of hundred years they must vary. Surely the size required is the size indicated on the plan you're using?

Rick
Are you talking about diameter or height? If you are discussing the steel variety then I think you will find them pretty much the same size no matter what size the ship they are fitted to. The human body does not scale itself up or down to fit the ship it is being bounced around on.
Stick with 3'6" and scale accordingly. Simple maths. If you put on a wooden top rail then the height will still be 3'6". It is only when you build at a scale of 1:24 0r 1:12 that you really have to consider the tapering of the stanchion. Cheers, BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.