Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garden steam train engines  (Read 4869 times)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
Garden steam train engines
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:53 pm »

Are there any members here with steam railway interests? Im thinking of getting into steam rail but require some initial recommendations
for a reasonable quality brand engine (live steam) please.
I know they cost serious money but I will have to get over that!
Thanks ...
N

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Garden steam train engines
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »

I assume that you are talking 32mm narrow gauge although most of the equipment is also available in 45mm.

For live steam the 2 standard brands are Accucraft & Roundhouse. Both are well tried & tested.
 https://www.accucraft.uk.com/categories/live-steam/
http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/

There are other very good suppliers but these are by far the most common & are both good reliable product ranges.

You might care to join the 16mm Association:
 https://www.16mm.org.uk/

Make every possible effort, & then try even harder, to get to the 16mm National Show. You really do want to attend:
https://www.nationalgardenrailwayshow.org.uk/

If you are talking gauge 1 or ride on then these will not help.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »

TF This is ideal info for me - just knowing the more well tried and tested engines is all I need to start looking at whats on offer.
Garden railway 32mm could be the better gauge for me but if they convert then that or 45mm I can consider, I guess the size dictates the price?
Roundhouse have some nice little loco's as well as the Silver Lady I notice!
Nord.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:27:25 pm »

TF This is ideal info for me - just knowing the more well tried and tested engines is all I need to start looking at whats on offer.
Garden railway 32mm could be the better gauge for me but if they convert then that or 45mm I can consider, I guess the size dictates the price?
Roundhouse have some nice little loco's as well as the Silver Lady I notice!
Nord.

No they are the same locos with the wheels set at different spacing - some you can adjust but others need new wheel sets.
Obviously bigger or more detailed locos tend to cost more than smaller simpler ones within the same gauge.

32mm is the traditional UK narrow gauge scale - it is O Gauge Track. The small wagon etc suppliers concentrate on 32mm.

45mm is the LGB, Aristocraft, USA Trains etc electric gauge that can also of course be used for narrow gauge. It is Gauge 1 in scale track gauge terms. I have used 45mm in the garden & would recommend that if you want to look at that you convert your locos to battery & radio control. Electric pick up in garden conditions is a whole different thing to nicely protected inside & our climate does not help. 

As I said go to Peterborough. The whole 32mm industry turns up & you will come away so much the wiser. There is no substitute. You can get there by train for the day & there is a shuttle bus from Peterborough railway station if you do not want to drive. I would see it as a great day out & a real investment.

I am assuming that you have come across the dedicated "Garden Rail" magazine which Smiths (amongst other) sells?
https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/garden-rail/

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:09 pm »

Thanks TF most useful info.
Is there anywhere in particular to go to view second hand loco's or are they to be avoided in general?
N

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »

Thanks TF most useful info.
Is there anywhere in particular to go to view second hand loco's or are they to be avoided in general?
N

Yes there are places that sell 2nd hand locos & they are all at Peterborough. I am afraid that I don't have any names. I would be happy looking at 2nd hand but not if you are not fully familiar with what you are buying.

Out of interest the 16mm Association is organised into area groups. As Garden Rail can be a lonely hobby you will find that each centre has frequent meetings in the gardens of the members. Around here you can go to one most weekends & occasionally in the week as well. Around here the meetings are not charged but you offer £1 to cover the refreshments which is normally refused. This is invaluable in getting to know what you are doing & to avoid expensive mistakes. You might well also find a loco for sale which the other members will know well. Quality locos do not depreciate much & most are worth more than they cost new. This makes it a less expensive hobby than it might first appear to be.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:01:12 pm »

Ok , you obviously know your way around this hobby and the Peterborough scene, an important question - How much should I expect to pay
for  say an 0-6-0 loco of reasonable quality - perhaps a Roundhouse model?
N

fpravenscroft

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:07:37 pm »

if you go to the 16mm site you will find details of all the local groups if you contact them they will advise you and you will be able to go to there gardens and see for yourself i think kent has quite a big local community
regards
peter

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 06:42:07 pm »

Yes, will do. The kent group looks to be my nearest, they seem to be operational during winter too.
N

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 02:36:58 pm »

I had a 3/4 Tich and am currently rebuilding a 3/4 scale Northern.....

There are plenty of very nice out-of-the-box engines.  I think first you want to decide track size, location. Are you hauling to a local club? What track size do they have?

If building in your garden and you have limited room consider Aster.

There is NO LIMIT to size or style with model railroads.  Internet will be your best friend for research.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:55 pm »

Although what you a being recommended are live steam trains they are still toy like I would very much recommend going to Gauge 1 these locos are as close to scale as you can get and they have to be driven just like a full size by adjusting the water into the boiler and speed all done inside the cab. I have built many Aster kits which are amazing to do and get much enjoyment out of building and running the engine. Have a look on these links the G1MRA website is very detailed where you can go to a club and see them for yourself running and chat with fellow enthusiasts.

http://www.g1mra.com/
https://youtu.be/N15_L8MOXvg
https://youtu.be/dRb283jNq7M

Cadser

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 10:30:14 am »

Yes i have an interest i have garden railway on my decking live steam sm32. I also have a 5” Britannia locomotive and a 4” traction engine. To be honest there ruddy time consuming and it makes a change to be involved with model boats. I especially like to watch yachts being raced and i am currently building one.
Brian

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:24:53 pm »

Yes i have an interest i have garden railway on my decking live steam sm32. I also have a 5” Britannia locomotive and a 4” traction engine. To be honest there ruddy time consuming and it makes a change to be involved with model boats. I especially like to watch yachts being raced and i am currently building one.
Brian

Wow! a 5 inch Britannia would love to see that run I recently sold a 5inch Torquay Manor and now regret it IOM yacht racing is very addictive you will be hooked on it 

Cadser

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:22:28 pm »

Hello Tony just had my first try at rc sailing. Wow it was great.  Just got to get hold of one which a chap has offered me at the club I went to and away I go. 

The steam engines are very engrossing and this makes a great change.  Have a look at North Wales model engineering web site, I am somewhere on there. 

Brian

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 10:05:36 pm »

If you ever fancy building one from scratch ? Have a look for Cracker the drawings are on the web and it can be tarted up a wee bit. A nice simple wobbler and part of its charm is its toy like appearance
Just built a T boilered one as a fun quick build

cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW6PKkHYcaQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.