Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy  (Read 8116 times)

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »

It is just possible that some of you will recall a clinker built 18" sailing dinghy built from a kit that had as its box a shell case surplus from the war . Mine is marked with the WD stamp dated 1947 .
I acquired this kit around 3 years ago and have since built this model only converted with radio control .
As some of you may know there is an excellent club 'Vintage Model Yacht Group' that has its own magazine ' Turning Pole' it was here that I wrote about the ADAMCRAFT .
This has put me in touch with 5 other owners and we are having a our first gathering on April 8 in North London and would be delighted to see other owners whatever the condition of their boat on the day .
Please email in the first instance phwallis@btinternet.com and I will send you further details . 

AYE

Peter Wallis

North Hampshire

Gareth F

• Shipmate
Re: The Adamcraft Sailing Dinghy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:10 pm »

Some of our shipmates are already aqainted with my  'built from plan'  Adamcraft, the one with the red gaff rig, bowsprit and foresail.
Well, sailing it regularly since 2012 has brought me so much pleasure. 
I look forward to the get together on April 8th and hope that all interested modellers are able to come along and join in.
Thanks to Peter Wallace for this. 
For those who may not be aware, original model and kits were designed in 1947,by Harvey A Adam,a naval architect and based on an early 18 foot Olympic racing class dinghy

Gareth F

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:49:52 pm »

Forgot to add - as always do let me know if I've got my facts wrong.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:15 am »

Hi Peter, where is the meeting on April 8?
regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »

We plan to meet at the North London Society of Model Engineers AL40NJ on April 8 from 11.00hrs .

Do you have an Adamcraft or W.H.Y as we would be most interested in hearing from you !.

AYE

Peter Wallis

North Hampshire 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »

Hi Peter, no I do not have an Adam craft, I guessed you would be at the NLSME.  Are you there as part of the toyboat vintage yacht group? 
I will almost certainly be there as I am an NLSME club member, My main interest is small boats and yachts.   I can bring some small boats to keep you company.
Have you been before?
kind regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 04:15:00 pm »

Roy we will be delighted to see you  please make yourself known to me - I shall be wearing my Frensham MYG cap .

I have today emailed your group - although Charles Smith from the VMYG may have already made contact but he's away at the moment .

Peter   

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »

Hello Peter, on a sunny day there is no better place to be.  I remember that Adamcraft used to do a fishing boat called Girl Pat.  The small outline in the adverts looked interesting but I never saw plans or a kit.  Is Adamcraft something you are interested in or is it just the dinghy?
Girl Pat was well known as the boat was stolen and sailed to sunnier climes until the law intervened.

Have you been to NLSME before?

regards Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:46:13 pm »

Girl Pat, GY176
Famous and still talked about in Grimsby.
Taken away by George Dod Osborne .
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »

Roy I wondered if your comments referred to Frensham Pond !
We race at Frensham every Tuesday mostly for fun -10 Rater, 10M as well as RG65 and Footy . A few members are developing a new 10 Rater design being fed up with prices charged in certain quarters.............................

I built my Adamcraft from an original kit 2 years ago with r/c remembering why I could not build one in the mid fifties - too complicated . If you let me have your email I'll send some pic's . Mine is the 18" version but there was a I think 23" with jib that you will see when we have our gathering .

I also have a classic TRi 48" that I rescued as well as Black Swan a 1912 true vintage all these I sail at Frensham where we have excellent facilities .

I shall look forward to hearing from you .

Peter 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:13 pm »

Hello Peter, I was thinking about whether you have visited the North London club as I do not remember seeing any small dinghys sailing and I attend almost all the meetings on our small pond.

I like but do not have a RG 65, FYI our pond is about 20 inches deep and a bit sheltered.
regards Roy

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:58:08 pm »

Hi Peter,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your articles in the Turning Pole and will endeavour to get along to the Adamcraft meeting if I can, I have several dinghies including one that I suspect was factory built. (I believe that, alongside the kit that was supplied in a tube, they offered pre-built models in a rectangular box).

I remember that Adamcraft used to do a fishing boat called Girl Pat.

Girl Pat was well known as the boat was stolen and sailed to sunnier climes until the law intervened.

regards Roy

Hi Roy,

I've not heard of an Adamcraft model called "Girl Pat" do you have any reference of this?

I know that Star Yachts of Birkenhead included a fishing trawler of that name in their 1937 and 1938 catalogues although I've never seen one.

Best regards,

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:03 pm »

Hi Vintage I seem to remember they used to advertise in Model Maker so some time ago now, when I have a moment I will delve in the garage to see what I can find.
regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
Adamcraft Meeting date change
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 07:33:22 pm »

I need to advise interested parties that the date of our meeting at N.L.S.M.E has changed to May 13 .

We plan to meet from 10.30hrs whatever the weather....................

AYE

Peter Wallis

North Hampshire 

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:02 pm »

Hi Peter,

I'll pass on the date change to those I've already invited; seems a long way off now but more time to tinker with the yachts!

Here's a picture of the box label for the factory assembled models as Vintage mentioned, I just need the yacht to go with the box now!

I'll post a few more pictures soon.

Roger

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:59 pm »

I've just added an avatar picture which is my own built replica on a calm day at Wicksteed, it follows the drawings that appear in Harvey Adam's book 'Model Boat Construction' published in the 1950s.
It's Bermudan rigged with the mast positioned further back but the hull and rudder are identical, in place of the original Bronze item I use quite a hefty lead keel arrangement for sailing and it can be a handful if the wind is too strong; luckily the built in buoyancy works!
I don't believe it was ever kitted or supplied built with this rig by Adamcraft but who knows....
Here it is.
Roger

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:18 am »

Lovely picture Roger that incidentally I've printed off .

What length is that hull - as you know I've changed my rig that has improved coming about . I would have liked to move my mast to your position with a jib but not that easy when she's already built not to mention the sail winch etc .

Shall look forward to seeing her on the water in May .

Peter       

Thelegos

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »

Hi Peter, the hull is 18" and constructed exactly as the original using copied sections and an original jig.

The attached image is from the book which features this as a build but doesn't show the gaff rig at all.
I'd seen Gareths dinghy when it was gaff rigged in action at Wicksteed (which is a joy to watch) and have one that was built in the 40's myself so wanted to try this 'Mk II' (as I saw it) as it was also penned by HA.

Roger

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:52:04 pm »

Just to be a bit pedantic but the rig shown on the original box is not a gaff rig but a Gunter rig. A gaff is normally at an angle to the vertical (e.g. 45 degrees) while the Gunter is near vertical. (Many years ago I used to sail a Mirror dinghy which had a Gunter rig.)

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 01:01:07 pm »

Hi I agree with Jim, I have a 32 inch loa fishing boat with the Gunter rig.  My one clips in place so that I can allow for the wind.
regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:02 pm »

Roger & Jim - Hi fellows.....................

I think my new rig is known as a Gunter sail that passes across the mast top and bottom . This certainly allows me most times to come about whereas the original  was hopeless .

On her first outing she capsized and sank but my buoyancy float enabled a full recovery . Since then I copied Sir Ernest Shackleton cover his carpenter made for their rescue boat 'James Cairn' that has proved 100% successful . As I sail her mostly on fairly open water I have found the cover invaluable . Don't forget our meeting on May 13 ..........

Peter

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 05:08:27 pm »

Hi Peter did or do you ever go full size dinghy sailing?
regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:48 pm »

No but our son took to sailing dinghy's and is now a liveaboard on his 40ft TRimaran in Cornwall . I enjoy sailing in the TRi as its so different and I have a 48" classic r/c model TRi that I sail at Frensham .

Peter

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:38 pm »

Hi Peter I used to sail dinghys but not a lot, I got involved with the Sea Scouts teaching sailing, that was a long while ago.  I am going to spend a month with my son, he has a 40 foot yacht I have not seen yet, we used to sail in his 34 foot one so I am looking forward to more comfort in a larger boat.
It gives you a better perspective on models if you are used to the full size, I used to sail a bit with a friend and his son in law in the Solent in a Moody 42, that was very nice.
I don't move quickly enough for dinghys any more.
regards Roy

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 09:24:35 am »

Roy let me have your email and I'll show you both TRi's .

At Frensham we have a number of ex sailors who have moved over to model yachts and they find the models more difficult to sail than the real thing .

Have to say the little ADAMCRAFT  has been difficult to sort out but the GUNTER rig has improved her sailing ability however I would have preferred to take your route . I did experiment with a jib with a bow sprite but failed to achieve the balance - i think the route course is that the mast is too far forward .

I tried speaking to real sailors whom I have to say were not that helpful ..........................

Peter   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.