Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Radio are you using  (Read 4557 times)

Champdriver

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What Radio are you using
« on: April 17, 2023, 10:46:16 pm »

Hi All

I just took the plunge on a Billings Fairmount Alpine and have a Spektrum rugged 5 channel surface radio, however ( and the wife doesn't know this yet) but I am wanting to add much much more than just the five channels to this build. My question to you is what radio are people using when greater than five channels.
Your feedback is appreciated.

Michael

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: What Radio are you using
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 06:21:24 am »

Depends on what extra commands you need. O my Spectrum 5, I connected two of the channels to operate micro switches from mini servos. One is push on - push off to actuate the radar

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 06:35:05 am »

I’m using a Futaba 16IZ currently, nice radio and a big upgrade from my previous Jeti DS12

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 12:05:35 pm »

It all depends on what you want to switch and how you want to operate the functions. Action electronics who are a very highly company by many of us make an 8 way switcher that can be operated from one channel. It's not expensive either.

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 02:23:56 pm »

Radio master t16   Open source.  Really good, but it does take some getting used to.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 05:39:17 pm »

I use the FrSky Taranis Q X7S Access running OpenTX. Like you I wanted to play with more channels and am so impressed with what this system can do, I'm using an 8ch receiver with an additional 8ch via SBUS expansion.  But it does come with a health warning, tearing hair out, beating head against wall...  But if you like a challenge and want a very flexible system, it's very good.  If you want it to be usable out of the box, it's not such a good choice.

Some more info here on how I'm using it: [size=78%]https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65630.0.html[/size]

There's also a few more points on this page (message #308) of my Aquarama build and a video of the setup: [size=78%]https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64276.300.html[/size]

Hope it helps..!
David.

Champdriver

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 09:06:51 pm »

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
I was looking in general terms for transmitters how many channels what brand and wether it was designed for air or marine, boy did I get so much more. I didn't even know you could get open source radio's that were fully programable all i can say to those that have them knock your selves out (apparently some of you have), I'm sure once rigged they work great but there're about a 1000 light years ahead of me (for now). From the comments though I get the feeling that anything from 10 -16 channels will run all the toys on a complex model and then some and that anything above about 5 channels you need an aviation transmitter.
I am keen for chas's comments on the ACTion 8 way switcher, I came across that the other day and thought that would be a good option. My question though is when switching does it sequence one by one through all 8 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, all) and then turn every thing on in the last sequence or can you select individually as you work your way through the switches( 1,2, 5, 3, 6,7 etc) selective. Also the distinct feeling i am getting from these forums is ACTion electronics is the go to shop for scale model boat electronic options or are there other companies that people would recommend that I am not aware of that provide similar??
Thank you everyone for putting up with a relative newbie, I'm sure i'll be back with more question especially when it comes to the electronics side of things (I'm a plug and play kinda guy for now).

Michael

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 02:06:29 pm »

You could also use a Carson 14 channel radio set. They are intended for use in r/c trucks but work just as well in boats with lots of functions.

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/carson-reflex-stick-multi-pro-14-channel-2-4ghz-radio-set/

Mike :-)) :-)) :-))
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 11:56:38 pm »

Mike has just posted about the Carson sets, I'm considering one of these myself for a project I've just started, they look ideal for what many of us need, with lots of switchable functions. Has anyone on here tried one?
 Michael, an email to action electronics about the switcher is worth doing, it's always best to get information from a manufacturer.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 01:56:29 am »

there are two other relatively expensive (but not outrageously expensive) "truck" radios that might work...  the "FlySky Paladin PL18 ev"  and the "FrSky Tandem XE"  both can be bought with "3D sticks" which add additional proportional rotary features to the main sticks, as well as a large number of additional knobs and switches...  the Paladin is an 18+ channel radio, and the Tandem is a 24+ channel radio.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 05:53:40 pm »

im using a Futaba 18sz currently and only use 1 board that goes from boat to boat along with a Futaba 14sg as my now spare radio, still got a few Skysport 4 and 6 channel 40mhz sets which get used for bench testing stuff.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Champdriver

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 01:06:29 am »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback. I have one more question, what is the largest number of channels that one has used on a build. I’m starting a Fairmount Alpine and have calculated that I would need 10 channels and that doesn’t include a working crane if I can figure out how to make it work. I would like to buy one radio to cover all my needs going forward for years to come. The radios I’m considering are the Spektrum NX 10 , IX 14 or perhaps a frisky. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Pete

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 01:14:56 pm »

Using
Frsky Taranis  X9D+   (left over from aircraft flying)
multiplex pico (converted to 2.4 frsky)
Futaba 6ex
also a few off brand 2.4ghz car type sets..

1275mini

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2023, 05:52:11 pm »

Jeti radios for me

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2023, 06:44:13 pm »

As champ driver knows from another thread, i am currently using FrSky..  but i started with futaba, now own several Robbe F series, as well as Radiomaster.  I don't use Spektrum.  Friend who loves them (spektrum) has me set them up for him.  He has gone through  4 of them now, each either coming from the factory with issues that had to have warranty repair, or they will no longer work with newer receivers, so he either has to hunt for older used receivers, or buy a new radio.

Not to say other manufacturers aren't doing the same thing.  The newest FrSky radio i have will no longer work with 70% of the FrSky receivers i own.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2023, 07:29:30 pm »

This popped up on Utube today - Hobby Porter CT01 8-channel:
https://youtu.be/KojXuPD2r6Y

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2023, 08:28:31 pm »

Radio Master

ColinB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bateaux sur la Loire
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2023, 11:04:47 pm »

Sataba circa 1984 (Futaba rebadged for South Africa)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 10:01:37 am »

Sanwa Mini Two and Remcon Quantum Six.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 10:18:25 am »

As recommended earlier in the thread, if you want lots of channels and flexibility go with a set that uses OpenTX, which could be FRsky, Radiomaster, Jumper, Flysky etc.

Really there are no limits with those systems, you can route any control to any channel, mix them to within an inch of their lives etc. etc. Learning the open ended architecture does require a bit of unlearning though if you're used to premapped systems.

There are a bewildering choice of models to choose from, but I would get one with a multiprotocol module built-in, which enable the set to work with most receivers on the 2.4ghz band. Most sets on Open TX will give you 16 channels, and many go to 32 or beyond with a second tuner- I think you'll find the main challenge is remembering what control does what!

One other thing that may dictate choice is the format. If you want lots of auxiliary functions, you're probably best suited to a larger format 'tray' type transmitter like the Taranis X9E.

Plenty of secondhand sets on the market, many people seem to treat upgrading their sets as a hobby within itself, so if you don't care about the odd scuff, or tech that is a year or two behind the latest and greatest, then you can get a bargain.

Nick-R

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 01:33:02 pm »

After returning to the hobby after a break of some 60 years, my first build was an Aeronaut Queen - nice kit and reasonably simple reintroduction.  I bought a 6 channel Microzone set - transmitter and receiver. Six channels was future proofing but I only use two for speed control and steering. 

I am currently building a Billings Nordkap and have purchased a second six channel receiver so as not to need to swap the first receiver about between boats.  Seems to work perfectly well but I cannot speak to max range as my boats are never more than maybe 30-40 metres away!

There is some change in radio gear since I was 15/16 years old.  Back then, I could only afford single channel gear.  Pressing the transmit button caused a relay in the receiver to close, effectively acting as an on off switch.  Steering was by way of a sequential servo - first press turn to port, next press turn to starboard.  You could also get servos that operated a two position speed control (fast or slow) by sending a sort of morse code sequence of transmit presses.  The transmitter and receiver I recall was a birthday gift and cost £14 which at the time was about the national average weekly wage so today’s gear is way cheaper in real terms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.825 seconds with 23 queries.