Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv Cast Bluewhale scratch build  (Read 8240 times)

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Mv Cast Bluewhale scratch build
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 08:38:12 pm »

Len... thats a very impressive build, Massive. I see you installed Bow thrusters.. id like to install them on my ship but theres not much space

I took the liberty of showing your ship to the wife, just to make her aware that my 3ft ship could have been a lot bigger.. lol

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 08:45:52 pm »

I see your from Kent... I do miss Kent, I used to live in Tonbridge... have moved to West Lancs now. Where do you sail

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 05:43:25 pm »

I see your from Kent... I do miss Kent, I used to live in Tonbridge... have moved to West Lancs now. Where do you sail
I am with the Model Boat Association Dover and we Sail at Kearsney Abbey, River, near Dover.

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:24 pm »

Little update on where I have got to with my build..
All going well so far..

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »

Im getting to a point now where I shall start planking.. I have 4 or so more stringers to instal... double check the the planking fits snug.. then i will start.

Couple of things i need advice with..

1. Being a flat bottom hull.. what is the best way to plank? Strips of balsa.. or sheets of balsa?
The bulb areas at the bow and stern might be tricky.. bending the balsa to its correct form?

2. My frames are ply.. i plan to plank with balsa.. is there a recommended glue?

3. Ive read bending balsa by wetting it... placing it on the hull so it dries the shape needed is a good way... would you agree?

4. Any tips on filler?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »

Im getting to a point now where I shall start planking.. I have 4 or so more stringers to instal... double check the the planking fits snug.. then i will start.

Couple of things i need advice with..

1. Being a flat bottom hull.. what is the best way to plank? Strips of balsa.. or sheets of balsa?
The bulb areas at the bow and stern might be tricky.. bending the balsa to its correct form?

2. My frames are ply.. i plan to plank with balsa.. is there a recommended glue?

3. Ive read bending balsa by wetting it... placing it on the hull so it dries the shape needed is a good way... would you agree?

4. Any tips on filler?
1. For the flat bottom use sheet then start using planks at the turn of the bilges. You might be able to use sheet where the hull is flat sided, using planking   at the bow and stern where you have curves. For bulbs and extreme curves better to use balsa block and carve to shape.

2.A good waterproof white glue will do the job.
3. Soaking in water, especially warm water should make it more flexible. What will also help with balsa is choosing the right grade, some is more brittle than others and will snap rather than take the curve. One thing to watch is that soaking the balsa will tend to make it swell  so that when it dries it will shrink back. Glueing it in place when wet may lead to gaps between the planks when dry.
4. If using balsa you need a soft easily sanded filler or you end up with the balsa being sanded away first leaving the filler proud of the surface. You can buy a light filler intended for model planes which is water based and sands easily. My preference would be to use finishing epoxy to paint the wood first, this will soak into and harden the surface then use epoxy mixed with microballoons as a filler. This sands down at the same rate as the epoxy soaked wood and bonds well so won't come loose easily. If the hull is then given another coat of epoxy it can be sanded to a good smooth finish.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2019, 05:48:59 pm »

For anything you can get away with as flat sheets I try and use obeche instead of balsa these days. It's a bit tougher so makes sanding down easier. Afraid I get mine from local Hobbycraft. It's usually better stocked and straighter than what's in local hobby shop. Balsa seems better from hobby shop though (and cheaper).

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 05:51:28 pm »

This is my progression so far.. I feel its going well.. plenty more to do

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 01:27:10 am »

I have dry fitted the Hawes Pipes for the anchor chains.. these will be glued and trimmed to shape once the hull beneath the forecastle has been sealed with finishing resin. Looking forward to sealing and glassing the hull now.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.