Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv Cast Bluewhale scratch build  (Read 8232 times)

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mv Cast Bluewhale scratch build
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:47:33 pm »

Hello there,

Thought id introduce myself and ask a few newbie questions while im at it  :-))

Im 35 from Lancashire, recently moved here from kent. Have always had an interest in Marine modelling, but never acted upon it. Ive been heavily into Model Railways from a young age, so not affraid to use a stanley knife lol

Now, I completely understand your views on my 'going in blind' with a build such as an OBO carrier like MV Cast Blue Whale, however Im really looking forward to the task and skills i will pick up along the way, if it turns out to be an epic fail,  lessons will be learnt and I can say I tried. And you can say "we told you so"  ok2

So, excuse my lack of knowledge.

1. The Hull construction.

I have seen a very impressive model of the Emma Maersk container ship on You Tube, where the modeller shapes the hull with Styropor, chops the hull into sections for the bulkheads, cuts ply bulkheads into the correct shape and sandwiches the sections back together creating the basic shape. Now I understand for a working RC ship the hull needs space for radio gear ect, so the styropor in its hull shape would be in the way.

After this stage he covers the hull in Balsa, a while later a perfect hull finish for a static model.

My question is, could this method be used for a working RC model, or is this something that only a static model would get away with?

I ask this question as I feel planking the hull like you should, seems way above my experience. Obviously.

2. Sealing the Hull

The hull itself would obviously need sealing so that its water tight. What are the best ways of doing this with balsa wood? (If the above question is possible) and what filler is recomended for this type of job.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my questions, the youtube link for the Emma Maersk build is here .... https://youtu.be/8qlNx_6wD8Q

Best regards %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Mv Cast Bluewhale scratch build
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:58 pm »

Welcome to the forum MV! I like your avatar. It's simple but witty  :}

To answer your first question: Using styrofoam/styropor/blue foam etc is a small but interesting area in the family of model hull building. The methods I have seen created by Ron Rees (fellow Mayhemer and article writer for Model Boats) builds many of his models with styrofoam but without the balsa frames.

The hull is shaped externally and then, like a dugout canoe, the interior is removed. Ron uses a home made hot wire cutter with shaped blades from thicker wire bent to allow him to remove square sections of foam making internal cleaning and preparation for fitting RC 'gubbins' much easier.

This is not as difficult as it sounds if you have an eye for form, though you can cut card templates out matching the stations of the frames so you can carve and sand the exterior to the correct form.

For the second question, this was discussed recently on a topic and came down to two main schools of thought.

1. Accepting that the odd dink will occur, an old and loved method is to paint several coats of thinned dope or acrylic varnish onto the bare balsa hull followed by a layer of model aircraft tissue applied like you would GRP using a brush to stipple the dope/varnish onto the tissue. Do a couple of layers and then sand smooth adding a final layer of dope and then clean for priming.

2. GRP. This is not as difficult as it seems but it is messy, smelly and needs some preparation to get the best results. Also, if applying over styrofoam, it will eat this away for a pastime, so either use the Deluxe materials system with acrylic laying up resin 'Ezekote' and their mat, or a similar make from a supplier which will be cheaper if you need more than one packs worth of GR cloth.

With both methods, some practice and having alook in the master class section here will help you immensly. There is a topic on hull planking, Missy D is building the Mady-Jean, where you can see exquisite carpentray going on. Have a good read through all the rooms etc as you finding this forum is the model boating equivalent of Lord thingy finding Pharoah Tut's tomb!

Seriously.
Pond weed is your enemy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:50 pm »

2. GRP. This is not as difficult as it seems but it is messy, smelly and needs some preparation to get the best results. Also, if applying over styrofoam, it will eat this away for a pastime, so either use the Deluxe materials system with acrylic laying up resin 'Ezekote' and their mat, or a similar make from a supplier which will be cheaper if you need more than one packs worth of GR cloth.

If you intend to cover in GRP use epoxy instead of polyester or acrylic resin. It's still a bit messy but the epoxy doesn't have a strong smell and can be used indoors without complaints. Also if using epoxy use glass cloth not chopped strand mat. The mat strands are held together with a resin that dissolves in polyester, epoxy does not do this so the mat will not lay down properly. Epoxy does not dissolve styrofoam so can be used without any previous coating on the foam.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:49 pm »

Many thanks for your very detailed advice, all has been noted.
I have yet to purchase the plans for this build, but have been researching a couple of hull build techniques.

I do like the idea of moulding the hull shape like Ron has done with Emma, however I do like the idea of working with wood.

As an experienced Marine Modeller would the following Idea have any issues? That you could foresee?

The hull...

All bulkheads and keel? (Spine) of the ship are cut and formed with plywood.

Instead of planking the ship in the traditional way, infilling the gaps between the bulkheads with either Styrofoam or Balsa Wood cut or sanded to the shape of the bulkheads to form the hull shape.

The Styrofoam infill option would then be planked with Balsa Wood like Rons Emma Maersk. Once set formed and sealed the inside dug out for internal RC gubbins ect?

The Balsa wood Infill option would be cut and sanded to form the same lines as the bulkheads, sealed and painted?

I have yet to learn about how the weight of the ship can affect its ability float. Im guessing its not as easy as thats my hull it will float.. job done.

So.. do you think the above idea is barmy? What issues could I have if any?

Thanks once again for your advice,

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:33:53 pm »

If you want to Keep costs down, I would follow his method using polystyrene and evolve your design from that. But I would use blue or pink foam instead which has a denser structure. As Glynn Guest always says in his articles, look for medium grade balsa that is not too soft but can still be  processed by hand. A good supplier should be able to select for you, and if you have a really good model shop, they might have a good selection of balsa.

do you need to go down the  foam infill route with balsa planking route? The balsa will not be much harder than the foam and will, itself, need something to protect it such as already mentioned, i.e, GRP or tissue and dope. So do away with the balsa and coat your foam/ply frames with one of the above methods saving you money and time.

Ron Rees extolls the virtue of using women's tights as the fabric layer. Honest!
Pond weed is your enemy

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:37 am »

[...]I do like the idea of working with wood[...]
The hull...
All bulkheads and keel? (Spine) of the ship are cut and formed with plywood.
[...]Instead of planking the ship in the traditional way[...]
Sorry, but I have to ask: If you like the ideea of working with wood, why not go for the classic plank on frames method? It is not very different from what you're proposing, is pretty much the same amount of work. You still want to have frames/bulkheads and a keel, so you're already half way there.
There's how I see the process:
Option 1 (your original idea, with foam): Cut plywood keel and bulkheads > fill with foam/balsa> shape foam> plank with balsa> shape, filler, sanding, filler, sanding> use glass matt & resin to reinforce balsa> sanding, filler, sanding> cut foam and bulkheads to make room for rudder and propeller tubes, electronics, batteries and ballast etc.> primer> final paint coat.
Option 2 (what I'm suggesting): Cut plywood keel and bulkheads > plank with balsa / wood stripes> shape, filler, sanding, filler, sanding> use glass mat & resin to reinforce balsa / wood hull> sanding, filler, sanding> primer> final paint coat.
It would be equally messy :D just in a different way (instead of having foam bits and dust everywhere, it would be wood bits and dust). But you will have the advantage of having the space already free for your components and the possibility to plan the shape of the frames inside part according to your needs. Maybe some of the front frames can be bulkheads (to spare you some work) if you don't need the space there, but I would not recommend closed compartments where water can sip in without the possibility of intervention.
Hope it helps your decision.

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »

Hello Buntzi... you have a very good point, and i get that. But i cannot help but think planking looks so difficult. And maybe more could go wrong..
Im on the fence at the moment, i think once I obtain the plans i need, A decision will be made.
Im going to have a look at the artical on this ships build that was published in August 2000 Marine Modelling magazine.. maybe go down the same route. Im told it was a card build.

Once again thanks for the info.. all will be considered, hope to get back with an update soon... looking forward to getting into this hobby... have always wanted to.. life just got in the way  :}

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 06:38:56 am »

Hi there MV,
I understand your concerns. The Nordkap that I've built was the first try (for this method and many many other things too) for myself also, but it turned out to be much easier than initially thought.
Anyway, good luck with your build.

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »

So, Ive managed to get the plans for this build, very exciting looking them over..
Ive thought long and hard about what method of building to use, buntzi,  your advice was bang on the mark.

The actual plans are just for a card model, which has thrown a spanner in the works, (I thought I read for both card and plywood build) but I feel I could probably work from these to create a wooden hull like suggested. (Or a least try) being a novice, this could go wrong.. But... Going to give it a go.

The one question I do have... this model in 220mm wide and 1200 on length, The weight of this model concerns me with regards to the type of wood for this build, would you recommend any particular types?
Im thinking plywood for the structural frame work then Balsa for the planking?
Best Regards

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:57:07 am »

I'm glad that I could help a little. For such a large vessel, I would suggest either a stronger material than balsa, or some added reinforcements along the hull (I'm sorry, I miss now the english equivalent word for it). I guess even a single reinforcement at water line level should do the part (5x5mm wood stripe maybe?) or two shall add sufficient rigidity to the whole structure until you cover the frame assembly with balsa.
Honestly, I would go for the reinforcement idea rather than stronger wood. Also, 5mm plywood shall be strong enough for the frames, but the keel is the one to watch out for warping trouble.
There is not much difference in developing the plans for plywood instead of card. I wouls say that the main difference is in regard to the thickness of the hull. Card probably consider very less (1mm, if at all) thickness, while with balsa and all the other layers you shall think about 2mm thickness.
Hope it helps.

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:38:37 pm »

Hi there...

So.. ive started tracing all the bulk heads from the plans i have..
Now bearing in mind the plans are for a card build not a wooden build, The spacing between these bulkheads are 2cm, but there are 52 of them? Would I be correct in saying this amount of ply bulkheads in a build from a plan for Card could be too heavy?

Probably difficult to answer without seeing the plans...
Any advice in this area would be great.

Mv

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:21:43 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmlggicu5qbexsr/20180512_234158.jpg?dl=0

Work done so far, not really any point in this picture, to be honest just testing to make sure you can see an image for future posts...

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38:25 pm »

2cm spacing is unnecessarily close for a standard boxy-type cargo hull.

You say that the hull length is 120cm, beam 22cm? I'd be leaning towards building the whole thing in balsa alone - set the keel on a solid baseboard, with a frame every 5cm to 7.5cm, planking over the frames from the bulkwark downwards in something like 3mm balsa. Plank the lower sides and bottom once the hull's solid and safe to remove from the baseboard. Leave complex areas (stern, bow, bulb) to infill with block balsa and carefully carve later. A skim of glass tissue and resin over the top once it's sanded.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 05:48:27 pm »

Many thanks for the feedback dreadnought,
The bulkheads at the stern and bow of the ship are measured for the curves to shape the hull, so im guessing the bow and stern will have to remain at 2cm intivals, maybe space the bulkheads at 5cm at the center of the ship to reduce weight?

Sorry for all the questions, The keel.. would you suggest having the keel in Balsa? Or something a little stronger?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 09:20:41 pm »

"It depends"  %)

You could cut the keel and frames from (3mm) ply, and then plank in balsa - but you'll hate pinning balsa planks to a ply frame. Trust me: I've done this - I have the callouses. Personally (for a mostly box-shaped hull) I'd lay a 3mm sheet balsa floor where it's shown as flat on the plans, glue on a 6mm wide & everso straight keel (balsa) onto your building board, add 6mm balsa frames onto this (keep 'em perfectly perpendicular to the keel), and plank away with 3mm strips, starting at the top-edge at the decks and work down-the-way. Maybe 2mm or less would work with a final glassfibre skin. The final balsa/laminate hull you construct is a monocoque: a totally sturdy 'U' shaped structure whose strength doesn't rely merely on 'keel and frames' but on edge-glued planking and glassfibre skin.

You don't need to over-think this - check out some of the plank-on-frame builds.

Really difficult areas - bow bulbs, etc., where planking doesn't work - build up balsa blocks and carve/sand to shape.

Andy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »

Example:

Planking for the Dreadnought in 3mm balsa over 3mm play. The very bow (bottom of the picture) is block balsa carved to shape. (I've marked in dayglo pens the plating overlying this hull form, so all the wood is finally hidden).

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:37 pm »

The key is preparation. Also, make a maquette to test out some plank on frame ideas you have and fellow mayhemers have suggested. It need be only two oblong bulkheads with rounded corners on an oblong base on which you can practice cutting and fitting planks, then put these ideas into your build. Planking has the aura of being really complex, but it is just a case of making sure your frames are true, the edges are properly bevelled, and that the base board and keel are also true. BUT. If you are happy to build a composite with foam and wood then do so. If it turns out to be a real headache then you have learnt for the future, if you succeed, then you will be able to use your ideas and tips for future builds.

As Dreadnought says, do read some of the other build logs especially Missy D's, or Dreadnought's, or raflaunches, or Geoff,s amongst many others and you will see much knowledge of working with wood in our own nautical field.
Pond weed is your enemy

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:20 am »

[...]Now bearing in mind the plans are for a card build not a wooden build, The spacing between these bulkheads are 2cm, but there are 52 of them? Would I be correct in saying this amount of ply bulkheads in a build from a plan for Card could be too heavy?[...]
Cardboard is not nearly as strong as plywood. My opinion is that you can safely skip two frames (thus getting about 60 mm between frames). If the section is quite square, you can skip even more, as long as you provide a little bit of strengthening in the way of (let's say) 5x5 mm strips. You can also keep some more frames near the bow or the stern, but as @dreadnought said before, it's much easier to shape balsa blocks for the very sharply curved parts than to bend balsa sheets to follow the frames.
As for the weight of the model, I wouldn't be very concerned about this. At that size the model will have to weigh about 7-8 kg (I guess) to sit properly to the waterline, so I guess that not the weight is the one to worry about, but the sheer amount of work that you have to put in cutting and sanding all those 52 frames...
Hope it helps and good luck with your build!

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:20 pm »

Been a while since ive posted an update.

So far I have decided to build plank on frame, right side up.
I have my building board set up and built,  Stern frames are cut and finished, as well as two watertight bulkheads and one bow full frame. The keel is not fixed to the board as yet, still cutting and finishing the remaining frames.

Id like to post some pictures of my progression but dont have any web space.. I do have an instagram page 'mvmodeller'
With many pictures of my progression.

Having never built a boat before I can say im enjoying this very much.. and learning so much about ships id never have known before hand.

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions and advice

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 07:01:19 pm »

Ive come to a point in my build where im starting to think ahead...  I have a 1/4inch keel in place no frames attatched yet, im concious of the fact I need to install my prop. Would it be recommended to install this before the frames are added? Ive seen a few builds where you "simply" drill through the keel for the prop to slide in.. but i cannot help but think this couls wreck the whole project if a mistake is made.

I thought about jigsawing the space for the prop,and adding timber either side to connect the keel back together creating a hole for the prop the slide into.... if that makes sense? But I would guess this would create a weak spot before the frames are installed?

Here is the keel
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqE91PPn36V/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1luh3xk539g6h

Any tips would be great

MV

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »

Here's how I did my current build, just epoxy. You can see from the vertical lines where the frames will fit.  I also added a support under the fore end for extra rigidity. Adding support either side of the keel will add strength as will the frames when they are fitted.
Don't Assume Check

buntzi

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 07:19:08 am »

[...]Would it be recommended to install this before the frames are added? Ive seen a few builds where you "simply" drill through the keel for the prop to slide in.. but i cannot help but think this couls wreck the whole project if a mistake is made.

I thought about jigsawing the space for the prop,and adding timber either side to connect the keel back together creating a hole for the prop the slide into.... if that makes sense? But I would guess this would create a weak spot before the frames are installed?
[...]

I would say that both options are valid. Indeed, drilling trough the keel is not the easiest task there is, depending on the length that you need to drill. However, usually is just about 50 60 mm. You can start with a smaller drill (2 or 3 mm) that will have more space around it in your 6.5 mm keel and thus less prone to fatal mishaps, and then enlarge the hole with another pass with the proper diameter to accommodate your propeller tube.
However, the other option is equally valid, given that you have the spare thickness in that area. Usually, that part of the stern is quite thin so there is not too much extra material that you can add on the sides for strengthening the area. This can be the safer way to proceed, given that you can control better the alignment of the prop shaft with the keel. Don't forget to take into account the placement of the motor and its support, sometimes the place can be really crowded in that area.
Hope it helps,

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »

Many thanks for your replys, Ive decided to build the hull to a point where im ready to plank.. but before planking drill the holes for the prop like you suggested, along with the rudder hole.

Have another picture link to show my progression
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfbYeGHiXX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=o2f6d584ffd8

None of the frames are glued as of yet.. just attatched them to see how it looks.

MV

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »

Started work on some of the deck details of the ship while im waiting for more ply for the remaining frames..

Hatch Covers

I'm constructing them out of 3mm balsa strengthened with 3x3mm balsa strips underneath. Quite happy with the result. Cannot wait to get to the deck structures, really enjoy creating something out of bits and pieces

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br_FZ9Jn5N8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1h9g6h9h2stdr

I'm hoping I can build the ship with a closed hull, (I believe thats the term used) then have the superstructure and hatch covers removable. However this might be an issue as the hatch covers are 6x10.5cm so access here wont be great. The super structure is larger and is above the motor location so this has more chance of working. Until I see it ontop the almost completed keel and frames I will have a better understanding of what will or wont work.

MV

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 06:30:49 pm »

Hi MV,
I hope this link works, It is of my 21 foot long Bulk Carrier that I made in Sections.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49418.msg604720.html#msg604720

Len.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.