Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug: Parahaki  (Read 2339 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
1960s Refinery Tug: Parahaki
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:36:30 am »

I've just finished my latest project: a scratch built 1/50 1960s refinery tug, originally built by Brookes of Lowestoft for the Northland Harbour Board in Whangarei, New Zealand.
It's not the most beautiful of tugs but it does have distinctive lines and does look quite powerful.
If you're interested in the build process I have a complete build log at: http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=6333.0

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug: Parahaki
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:39:42 am »

... and a few more.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:08 am »

Remember being towed into the refinery once when we had a engine stop working these were great looking tugs always kept in tip top condition she use to push us in on her own had some power tassie48

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:35 am »

Nice to see a model of a different looking tug!!!  :-))
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:42:31 am »

Nice looking tug, like you say she looks powerful  :-))  You are extremely talented!
Hama

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:38:45 am »

Apart from the overhanging bridge which makes it look odd, I think your tug has some beautiful lines to it, well done for building such a sweet looking ship.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:56:43 am »

Nice build Steve, you have made a nice job of her  :-))

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 07:44:24 pm »

Tassie: Yes, Parahaki and her identical twin Ruamanga were built to handle rescue work as well. The chairman of the NHB at the time, Sir Ralph Trimmer, had some pretty big ideas for the future of Whangarei. Apart from the refinery there was also a large glass works proposed for the town and as it's a deep water port he intended for it to become one of the countries biggest. He ordered two more tugs from Brookes a couple of years later – the Waitangi and Herekino. They were smaller, more manoeuvrable, more powerful and better suited to harbour work. For a while Whangarei had the best fleet in the country – it was known as Trimmer's navy. The pilot boat boat was built to a very high spec and was very luxurious inside. Unfortunately the glass works never went ahead and there was very little rescue work. Ralph was probably too big for Whangarei and rumours started that he had had the pilot boat built as a gin palace for the board members.
Strangely enough, one of the major political parties is currently pushing for Whangarei port to become the major NZ port – 50 years after Ralph had envisioned it.

After many years service in Whangarei the 2 rescue tugs went up to the Cook Islands in the Pacific and are now stationed in the Marshall Islands.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »

Thanks Danielle, I've been enjoying your trawler builds very much. Big call to start the hull again.

Thanks Hama, how's your ferry build going. I imagine it's still too cold up there for any resin work, or outside testing.

Thanks Brian, been following the Barents build with great interest. You make the electrics and electronics look deceptively easy. I thought the ROV bay was especially excellent – the oil stains were brilliant.

Thanks Chipchase, I've picked up heaps from your builds. Haven't been able to get my hulls even close to your standards though. Very envious of your X Bow. My wife would kill me if I tried to slip one that size into the house. One day, maybe?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.