Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angle of chine stringers  (Read 1547 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Angle of chine stringers
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »

With regards to my Swordsman build (33" long) I'm wondering what is the best angle to have the chine stringers?

They are going to be 2 laminations of 3 x 6 mm Obechi or Bass and I've drawn them so that they are parallel to the hull sides, my thinking being that I will only have to plane/sand the bottom of the stringers to the angle of the hull bottom.

But as the angle of the hull sides vary along their length, most noticeably between the last two frames (about 6") because of the concave in the sides of the transom, which would mean twisting the chines, and the chine rising from rear to front, so having to bend across the diagonal, I'm wondering if in fact it would be better to have the chine stringers vertical and then to plane/sand the bottom and side of the stringers to match the bottom and sides of the hull? 

Hope this makes sense!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Angle of chine stringers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:48 pm »

Well,  I've had a practice bend of  the timber  I'm using for the stringers and there is enough bend in both axis of the timber that I don't think it matters that much.

With the last 2 frames though I shall keep the angle of the stringers about the same.

I'm building another boat where the stringers are vertical, so more planning required, so I shall see if there is any advantage one way or another.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Angle of chine stringers
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:46:30 am »

Hi Chris
I steamed my stringers over a kettle to install them and let them dry overnight.
Looking at a number of plans the stringers run per the keel with a second stopping at frame 2.

Canabus

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.