Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi Guys - what shall I build?  (Read 3035 times)

scoobster

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hi Guys - what shall I build?
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »

Signed up to the forum last year but now is the time to take the plunge and buy myself a boat!!!  :-)) have never built a kit boat so have no experience building from scratch

Anyway I have some basic RC gear and 7.2v battery packs from my RC Cars which I could use to get me started if needed but I'm having a hard time making my mind up which way to go. I like scale naval boats from WW2 period up to the modern stuff and also like a few of the fire/police and lifeboat models.

I have a budget of about £500 (wife won't let me spend any more  <:( ) so the 2 options I have come up with so far are-

1: a Proboat RTR Alpha Patrol Boat (or similar to use straight away) and also get a kit for around the £250 mark to build while still having the RTR boat to sail while I'm building it

2: spend the whole budget on a Graupner HMS Belfast that Cornwall Model Boats have on special for £509 and use the RC gear I have for the time being and upgrade the RC gear later and then add working features, lights etc. to the HMS Belfast

any opinions on Graupner HMS Belfast? or Proboat Alpha Patrol Boat as far at RTR's go?

Would buying one of the 1/35 scale plastic MTB kits and converting to RC be something a novice kit builder could manage?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

al2612

• Shipmate
Re: Hi Guys
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:56 pm »

Hi -I have no experience of the full kits you mention but I started RC Model Boats a couple of years ago with a conversion of the Italeri Elco MTB. If you have basic modelling skills I'm sure you can manage it and the principles of the build can be applied to all models of this type. I was helped greatly by Stan Reffin who post regularly on Mayhem. Check out his excellent build log of the Elco it may help you decide. Since my build I have done an RC conversion of the 1/72nd Flower Class Corvette ( with extras ) and now doing a full scratch wood build of a Lobster style picnic boat. You will soon get the "bug" !!!
Link below to Stans build

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51992.msg532915.html#msg532915

Alan

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:33:57 pm »

Welcome :)

Scratch built kits nowadays are very precise compared to many moons ago, don't be put off because its your first build or worried, just take your time with it & enjoy it, also remember you got the net as a massive reference during your build where you can pull up pics/videos & even build logs if your lucky of someone else who has built the same model etc so you won't be going in blind as they say. I'm part way through my 1/12 scratch build TUG, no kit. no instructions etc its purely scratch built from plans I have & this is also my very first build! (my build log is in my sig at bottom of this post), At the start some said things like "start off with a small kit first etc" but you know yourself what your limits are, over the years I've built numerous model kits (not RC just small static models) but this helps when i'm now building my TID Tug, so don't let anyone put you off just because its your first build. Like i say, you know yourself what your limits are, no one else does, sure they can advise & that's what it is, just some advice, i've seen a few topics where someone has asked similar questions (not on this forum but others) & the *newbie* decided to against advice of so called "elitists" & start a scratch build, needless to say the elitist chaps got the hump because the newbie didn't take there advice! but the newbies build ended up a great model etc.

So my advice, go for a kit, not only is it fun, but when you first put her to water you will feel great knowing that you built it up from pretty much nothing & now she sails! I did my 1st water test with my TID the other day & i was chuffed to bits, still a long way to go with the build but i was very happy with what ive accomplished so far :) Just remember though that with kit building, you will need all the tools/materials & this can add up in terms of £££. If you think you will be building more in future then any tools you buy for your 1st build won't be wasted money, but if you think this will be the only build your going to do, then maybe ask around friends/family to borrow some tools etc instead of buying them ;)

As for converting static models to RC, this can be a whole new ball game! ..sure it can be done, but can also be very tricky depending on the size of the model & the way its been built, they usually require quite heavy modifications, my advice on this as your first build is to avoid & get a kit that's designed for RC! ;)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:33:11 am »

Welcome........several ways to do this. Is there a local club??? you seem to be wanting military ships, you could go for the belfast, then buiold a cheap Glyn Guest plan (free in model boats mags)of a warship...wil cost you about £30 ALL IN IF YOU IF ALREADY HAVE THE RADIO EQUIPMENT.
if there is a local club, ask around, if not go on various club websites, a lot have for sale pages....see what is around. A lot of people want a Bismarck! check the for sale pages on here and go back and see what has not sold. Check crapbay sometimes a bargain, try to buy local so you can see the boat before buying....pictures lie a lot.
Plastics..........flower class corvette from revell/matchbox (same kit) in 1/72 is a beginner favourite, easy to convert and pretty forgiving, the 1/35 Italieri range are ok, you can pick a kit up fom £40 to £250 unmade, then time spent building it, there are plenty of reviews and how to's on you tube.
remember if you go for a proper warship like belfast she is long and narrow and will lean into cornering, a bit unnerving to begin with but take it slow and get the feel of her. Fast patrol boats (if they are fast) can dig in on cornering and sometimes flip over! agasin just take it easy and get the feel of the boat. lots of people go for military tugs as they are slower (allegedly), or tugs in general.
Best advice though is go to a local club, they will normally let you have a go on the boats and see what you think. you might fancy a submarine!!!! (if you can find a club with and active unit who are not off already on a special OP)
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

scoobster

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:19:32 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guys, went to the local model shop today and had a look at the Elco 80 plastic kit which looks great but the guy in the shop showed me a couple of kits better for a first boat build and think I have settled on a Krick WSP 47 police boat.

Its quite simple kit to start with but can be upgraded with moving radar, lights and working water cannon  :}

So looks like I'm going with option 1 and going for the Krick Kit to build but still looking for a nice RTR scale or semi scale boat to get me on the water asap so any ideas of what to look at in terms of RTR boats would be great.

http://www.rc-boote-news.de/news_boot/news/news_bericht.php?shownews=9

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:50:40 am »

Hey :)

Nice looking boat you bought, enjoy the build :)

As for RTR, what kind you looking for, Tugs, War, Leisure etc?

Facebook:

scoobster

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:06:27 am »

When I first started to look at boats I had it in my head I wanted a warship of some kind  but the more I look around the forum, web and shops the more I'm open to other types (too much choice lol).

The local shop had a RTR Hobby Engine Southampton Tug in stock that looked ok but was worried it was more of a toy than a scale models but looks likes its based on a real Tug the Wyeforce based in Southampton which is cool

So guess what I'm saying is I'm open to almost anything for the RTR as long as its kind of scale and not a power boat. I'm quite lucky as I have a few clubs not far from me. One is for high speed boats but after speaking to a few lads there the fast boats tend to use battery packs up quickly so have short run time but there's another 2 clubs that run on smaller ponds better suited to scale boats which is the way I'd like to go

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hi Guys - what shall I build?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:29 am »

Topic renamed    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 03:43:47 am »

When I first started to look at boats I had it in my head I wanted a warship of some kind  but the more I look around the forum, web and shops the more I'm open to other types (too much choice lol).

The local shop had a RTR Hobby Engine Southampton Tug in stock that looked ok but was worried it was more of a toy than a scale models but looks likes its based on a real Tug the Wyeforce based in Southampton which is cool

So guess what I'm saying is I'm open to almost anything for the RTR as long as its kind of scale and not a power boat. I'm quite lucky as I have a few clubs not far from me. One is for high speed boats but after speaking to a few lads there the fast boats tend to use battery packs up quickly so have short run time but there's another 2 clubs that run on smaller ponds better suited to scale boats which is the way I'd like to go

Hiya, well all depends on your budget i guess, the southampton isn't a bad RTR model, but to be honest you will find most RTR models will have a little bit of a "toy" look to them, but you could always add some of your own little touches & even some weathering effect, the other alternative is keep your eyes open for a used model that's already been built, ebay/forums for sales sections etc & even the likes of Gumtree :)

This maybe better than the Southampton in terms of realism as it has more detail such as rubber tyres around the outside & cabin detail etc, also has a smoke generator included for the smoke coming out of the stacks, lights/nav lights & fog horn that can all be turned on/off from the handset... its made by same company Hobby engine:

https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/Hobby%20Engine%20Premium%20Richardson%20Tug%20Boat%20with%202.4ghz%20Radio%20System

Facebook:

Smyster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:06:29 pm »

Again

If you fancy building yourself a model why dont you buy a kit off ebay someone has bought and thought to much for me, I paid £80 for my started SMIT Nederland a £400 kit, missing a few fittings but take your time and mine will be about £200 ish replacing the missing parts not including rc kit. Seen a good model slipway trawler Maggie M only make £132 last Tuesday, bid on it myself but thankfully lost as the wife would have killed me. Quiet a few bargains popping up that will keep you busy while you sail your out the box boat. New on here myself and have had loads of good build advice, good luck with what you buy

scoobster

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 07:20:09 pm »

Thanks for all the advice fellas I made a start on the Krick WSP 47 today spent a small fortune on glue and tools etc. on top of the cost of the kit lol but really enjoying it so far

Thanks for the heads up in the Richardson Tug Tizdaz looks nice and I think with a few scale extras adding would look nice on the water

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:04:32 pm »

Hi Scoob and welcome.
Enjoy your kick build and take your time.
Personally, I would not bother with an RTR, build yourself a Springer. Easy to build and very cheap, use the radio gear you already have and you could be on the water in a fortnight.
Great experience and much loved by all at the pond.

Simon

RST

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:24 pm »

Thanks for all the advice fellas I made a start on the Krick WSP 47 today spent a small fortune on glue and tools etc. on top of the cost of the kit lol but really enjoying it so far

Thanks for the heads up in the Richardson Tug Tizdaz looks nice and I think with a few scale extras adding would look nice on the water

Thats a good choice, espeially with the recent magazine coverage on the build.

Remember with tools etc, they'll last to the next build, same as scrap material, save anything useful for a rainy day!

For a beginner I highly recommend picking up the Model Boats mag every month and having a good root in your library for model boat books -anything by Paul Freshney, Dave Abbot etc etc, no matter how old are still great starters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.