Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone crossed the English Channel with a radio controlled Model. ??  (Read 3047 times)

The long Build

This was a question I wondered about 10 years ago whilst sitting on the stone shore in Dover waiting for my Partner to complete a solo crossing  , and then thought about it more recently whilst doing a 2-way Relay swim.
Stupid question really but considering that as the crow flys it is only 21 miles to France, from Dover.
I realise that it would probably be impossible to do it without  accompanying the model in a support vessel, (For the transmitter to stay in range only)  but wondered if it has ever been done.. I seem to recall some mention many years ago of someone having a go at it but can find no information.
Just Curious.

swordfish fairey

Re: Has anyone crossed the English Channel with a radio controlled Model. ??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:50:32 pm »

Believe it or not, the first to cross with a radio controlled model boat was a chap called George Honnest-Redlich, a pioneer in r/c. In 1951 he took across a boat called Miss ED powered by a 3.46cc engine. I presume there has been many more O0.......Smudge

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:51:57 pm »

I think someone crossed the Channel with a Vic Smeed designed 54" Vivacity design once.
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »

Not all that long ago (in the scale of things.....) a guy drove an 11' model of a Federal liner across the channel.  Got the details somewhere but can't be bothered to look it up. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:34:14 pm »

Dear All,

It sounds as if it has only been done one-way so far? How about a two way trip then?

Regards, Bernard

p.s. I am dropping the 2 after my name now... not seen a same name on here, and it takes too long to write!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:41:53 pm »

It sounds as if it has only been done one-way so far? How about a two way trip then?

Perhaps a sponsored event by MB Mayhem for the RNLI, a mass crossing.
With 2.7ghz you could take a fleet. And a Mersey class lifeboat to carry all the batteries. O0

Only kidding. ;)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:06:18 pm »

These days it could be quite a hairy operation, a bit like trying to cross a busy motorway with a R/C Dinky toy!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:00:44 pm »

That would play havoc with the seperation zones!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 03:06:53 pm »

No worse than cross channel swims!At least they would move faster. 8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bluebird v2

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 03:24:24 pm »

Hi All

My twopenneth worth.   I know there is a lot more to it than just throwing your model in at one end of the Channel and sailing it across to the other side.   

Not so long ago Riggers & I contemplated sailing HMS Leeds Castle from one side of the Tyne to the other (across the Harbour) using two radio control transmitters on the same frequency. Marc on the North side and me on the South Side approximately 1/4 mile distance between us.  Obviously, the Leeds Castle has, for this purpose, upgraded motors to give her that extra 'umph' in an emergency.  Also, we enquired about the building of a satnav navigation system (in case of radio failure) which would bring her to safety.

However, one of the things we needed to gain, unbeknown to us, but, I found out later, was the permission of the Harbour Master - and, it would be required that there would have to be a 'chase boat' as well and a specific time setting - these are just a few of the things that you have to take into consideration.

After reading this thread - it has rekindled the flame - this has me thinking whether we should attempt it or not.

I can get the chase boat and I should imagine a photograph of the Leeds Castle crossing the path of the QE 2 as she enters the River Tyne on the 17th of this month, it would be quite spectacular.

Aye
John E
Bluebird

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:01:59 pm »

These days it could be quite a hairy operation, a bit like trying to cross a busy motorway with a R/C Dinky toy!
Surprisingly not as hairy an operation as you think , I have in one way or another now been involved in about 4 Channel swims, Relays and my Wifes solo in 1997 this took a time of 11hrs 33 minutes, and more recently a 2way in august .
You would have to be (I think)accompanied by a pilot vessel who are in constant contact with the coast guard. I am not aware of anyone attempting (legally) to swim the channel without being registered by one of the two organisations who run Channel Swims. While the Channel is very busy, very few tankers , ferry's , at the time Hovercraft and now the faster condors come to close (200 meters or so) and I would also imagine that any attempt by a model would be of similar size to that of a swimmer and faster.
A swimmer is allowed to stop and have food as long as they do not touch the boat, so changing a battery to me is the same as feeding so as long as no tweeking is done and the model not taken out of the water would be counted as none stop. I'm not sure that the 2 organisations would be interested in taking part but at the end of the day for the pilot its easy money.. They charge about £1500.00 for a solo swim.

RipSlider

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:11:12 am »

There was an R/C plane that made the crossing, none stop, a few months ago.

Biggest issues, if I remember right, were that it had to use french radio gear, and so needed special dispensation from OFCOM. As it was an electric model, that has to fly at a constant speed for a long duration, they kept blowing ESC's, so M-Troniks built them a special one for the purpose.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.