Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Naiad  (Read 1543 times)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
1/700 Flyhawk HMS Naiad
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:59:31 pm »

I was given the special edition version of this kit at Christmas it’s of the Dido Class cruiser HMS Naiad.
I have built 1/700 kits before and thought that Trumpeter’s Tribal Class destroyers were finely detailed of which I have built two with the WEM PE upgrade set. This model though takes detail at this scale to a whole new level; I’ve never seen such fine detail. The standard kit comes with PE as well; the special edition comes with even more PE and brass items. You can choose from a full hull or a water-line build. The hull measures 22cm.
My gripes about this kit are: no stand, you’re supposed to use the box as a stand, why on earth didn’t they include one, displaying such a finely detailed model as this on a cardboard box is a cheap and nasty solution; there is no nameplate; the instructions are not user friendly, not because of the detail it is the format, there are two sheets 54x18cms unwieldy to say the least, why not a booklet Flyhawk?
My main disappoint is with me, I don’t have the skills to do the model justice or the patience. The PE is so fine I have broken a lot of what I wanted to use and some of the extra detail I wonder why bother, they are so small no one would ever see them unless they view it with a magnifying glass.
You do need steady hands (coffee will make your hands shake too much), a good set of tweezers, an illuminated magnifying glass and a good selection of swear words.
This model is for the very best of modellers like those in the IPMS or professional model makers. The special edition is probably wasted on me.
I’ll do my best with it and post some photos when complete in a few months time if I’m still sane.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Naiad
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 06:24:03 pm »

I love the Didos, and have learnt there were several sub variations depending on weapons availability.

Keep us abreast of progress, I look forward to seeing her completed. Do as much as you enjoy doing and don't fret about some small bits as if you cannot see them then neither can we!
Pond weed is your enemy

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Naiad
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:55 pm »

I think there's a few bits in my carpet I'll never see again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.