Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Failtie  (Read 11785 times)

Darts26

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Failtie
« on: March 03, 2018, 05:46:34 pm »

Hello fellow boat modellers I wonder how many of you are like myself individuals building and trying to sail all alone with no local club. I live in the Highlands on the coast but unlike some of my friends further North I have never put a boat into the sea. Almost all the freshwater around me is for fishing or private use only so I struggle to sail my boats in safe waters. Later this year I am trying to organise an event in a town 30 + miles away as there is a boating pond there no longer being used.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Failtie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:06:18 pm »

Hello Shipmate! How many boats do you have then?
I cant help thinking you may have chosen a tricky hobby with no water nearby!
What is Failtie?
Good luck with your planned event anyway
Nord/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »

Hello Darts, welcome.    We have a fellow local in RST, he will probably chime in soon. Is it Tarlair you were thinking about ?   A bit further  south is Loch Insh where the aeromodellers have an annual splash-in (second week-end in September)  The Tarlair Club came down one year to introduce the boating side of modelling,in a full-size touring coach with wags, children and dozens of model boats. That venue is a bit handier for those from the central belt that might fancy a hielan` weekend. Full restaurant and bar, accommodation etc   There a nice sheltered lagoon plus the loch. rescue boats etc.  If you have any Springers we could arrange a fun competition  {-)
..well can you land on this?

Darts26

• Shipmate
Re: Failte
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »

Failte, I added an extra i when I should not have, means Welcome in Gaelic. I have been building model boats for 20 years but my main passion is radio-controlled aircraft which I have modelled even longer. I not so long ago rejoined the Cairngorm Model Flying club so I know all about Loch Insch and have flown off its water myself. Sorry I digress from matters marine. In my fleet at present I have a steam drifter which I built and named "INS 612 Solemn Promise," 4 other drifters, 2 semi-kit, 1 extra long hull and plan and the last scratch built, all in different states of build and each different to the others. A puffer, a Chris Craft Barrel-Back and a small grp yacht.

Hopefully the attachment will come through ok.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:29 pm »

Hi & Welcome

There is some (limited) interest is starting a group in area,  (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59813.0.html) however getting enough to make it viable is proving difficult.

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:47:41 pm »

Hi SJG001 I have replied to the link you posted here. I was given your contact details the other week by Andy in the Sports and Model shop.

RST

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:59:31 pm »

Am just 10 milesway in Culloden.  Yes theres nothing around here club-wise, we know there's modellers in the area but (like everything in the area) it's a bit frustrating sometimes.

I found the "paddling pool" in Nairn a cpl of months ago -shamefull as I've been walking there for 10 years + but always 100yds the other way so never saw it there before!  Any reason why that can't be used? It's just like the boating ponds from my 'yoof on holidays in England.  Theres another pool in Inverness aside from Whinn Park.

I must admit I am a bit ignorant of places to sail a bit "down south". I find the A9 south of Inverness an abhorrent road to drive on, sometimes worse since the cameras went in so I pretty much only drive it for work, or to see family in the central belt now.

Rich

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 09:55:17 pm »

Hi Rich, just a quick reply to both your postings as I am away from home. Would it be an idea if say you, SJG001 and myself met up at Whin park then together investigated all possibilities we have jointly mentioned here for boats on to water? So that rather than have a disjointed discussion on here we can acknowledge the good and bad points that each site raises there and then. That way we could then make a conscious decision to informally have a sail meeting at a particular site and see where it leads.

Darts26

RST

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »

I've suggested a meet / chat before -even in a pub for a beer or Diet Coke one evening or Sunday afternoon.  It's not that disjointed to be honest -I think there's only four of us in the area!  I reckon facebook has a wider audience (I'm told everything / everyone in the world is on there now) but I'd rather give up a limb than register on there again so I don't know.  Meet-up sounds a sensible suggestion at some point if we can aggree -even if it's somewhere like Brodie or Simpsons etc?.

Rich

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:44 pm »

Hi Rich, sorry I had to attend a course at the end of last week and it has affected my medical condition. I am all for meeting up as long as the others are in agreement, as I feel the quicker we make a move the better. We need to agree to a usual water and set up meeting times too.

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:33 pm »

Hi people, the canal has a very low pontoon where the rowing club hang out, take a look on google street view, cross the Tomnahurich bridge and turn immediately left where the cruisers tie up, go along the path about 500 yds and you will see the building..

Years ago I used to dabble about with fast noisy boats and now that  I have more time to myself I have decided to have another go but more slow stuff this time.  Recently we moved to the fastest town in the north and at present I am at the planking on a Bluenose 2 but I would like to have a go at  something bigger and motorised, either a cal mac ferry or battleship.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:43 pm »

Hi Sabre and others, what about the Sea Scout/ Cadet facility just over the Muirton swing bridge ?   There are pontoons and rescue boats plus potential recruits. One senior member assisted with the loch Ness model lifeboat  attempt.  They must have an "in" with the canal people.      The Scottish Federation held  the National Championships at Tarlair some years ago, maybe  they could be persuaded to come out of the Central Belt again. Whin Park would be ideal with perhaps some tourist or local government involvement. A nucleus  of locals could work under their auspices, maybe even the Sea Scouts. Success of such an event would certainly bring model boaters out of the woods and form a Highland club. Maybe a RNLI Lifeboat fund raiser event or Naval charity if a visiting RN was visiting the city ?  Local press would give some coverage and  spread the word to lone modellers  about forming a club instead of just running a small-ads etc.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 11:19:15 am »

One problem with the Fed Nationals is that it is run by the local club who provide all of the facilities. This includes tables, shelter, food, docks and buoys for the events. Without an existing club you don't have this, smaller clubs tend not to put their names forward to run this event due to the work needed to organise it.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:40 am »

Exactly why one would ask various "park" people "Tourist" people and local  government , canal, Sea Scout/Cadet and sporting, educational sources to help establish a healthy/educational/outdoor attraction to their areas.   The model boating interest has faded since Jackie Wilson`s model shop closed  and the fast ic events that were such a feature in the area are no longer.  If  the few locals that might not know how to run a national event were assisted by people from other areas and told what to ask local authorities for lake space, tables, marquees, parking etc etc they (the locals) could offer local knowledge and scrounge facilities. Event public liability insurance I don't know about, if scale,  slow electrics,sail and steam only then I don't think it would be too much to ask park authorities to chip in %)   I`m thinking of course of the Inverness Whin Park with for those that dont know it. A showcase event for model boating, a public event for the park management funds and PR and a recruiting event for a local club. Do you think boaters would come up for a heila`n do Jim ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »

It is a pretty nice place Whin Park, Inverness  Recent visit showed no weed, very clear water.

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:02 am »

That's a cracking looking location, bit of a pull for me though....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:17 am »

465 miles one way  :o  says Google !   However we used to have model waterplane flyers come to Loch Insh highland Splash-in week-end from Dorset, London, Stoke-on-Trent, Birmingham , English Lake District etc as well as all over Scotland.  One year there was three full-size seaplanes  :-))     Just shows that if you get everything right " then they will come" , to quote a film title.   Hasn't been like that for years now.   Captain Fizz, cheap Ryanair/Easyjet  flight or overnight Rail Sleeper or part of your annual hols to the Highland capital, loch Ness etc ?  I could even arrange for world travelling Red Oktober springer to make the trip from Japan or wherever it might be. O0   Does anyone know if there ever any organized model boating on Whin Park pond ?                           Please note that Fudpucker Airlines no longer use the Whin International Airport. The miniature railway runs some weekends and and weekdays during school holidays.

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »

Where is the local airfield?
I know of one young man who needs to get another 160 hours towards his commercial licence!
We could probably make it in one hop from Coventry.
A springer fest. We could bring Radio Joe along with the new Gala Girl.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »

Ah Gala Girl , puts my Springer efforts to shame :embarrassed: , a real beauty.  Main commercial airfield is Dalcross (Inverness) 10 ish miles from city.  If you can do grass strips Glen Feshie Gliding Club caters for visitors. It is 2 miles from Loch Insh 7 miles from me ( note spelling, there is an Insch in Aberdeen,miles away)  Feshie strip is 38 miles from the city.  Other airfields I`m not sure , there is one at Dingwall. I`m not sure if the former RAF WW11 Dallachy caters for full size but models fly there. Maybe our Nairn contact Darts26   could advise in his direction,   Look-up Loch Insh Watersports if you want to come up in september for the seaplane event.  I wonder if some of the other contributors to this thread would bang a Springer or two together as a bonding thing and entertain the public at some place , Duthy Park ??? O0

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 02:23:04 pm »

Sabre , where are you ?     Everybody else on this thread interested in a water polo event for Springers ? Darts, RST, et al.  Picture is a Springer working as a rescue boat at Loch Insh Splash-in a few years ago. Aircraft is a Jiant Jabberwock by Don Stothers.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 04:20:38 pm »

We seem to have two threads on the same subject. Can we combine them under the other title as it is more explanatory ?

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 04:34:17 pm »

For those waiting to hear about the possible boating event in late May/June time in Dingwall, due to miscommunication with other parties, I send word via a husband and it was most definitely not what I said Andy, and the fact that the booth at Dingwall park won't be ready till late on the summer I have been asked to delay until then. Further reasons for this are that there is possibility that it is to be incorporated into a Family Fun day with amusements for the children plus MAYBE some sort of local producer stalls in the grass area.

As regards flying tution apparently there is a club at Kinloss barrracks who teach people on a Cessna and the gliding club that was at Dallachy moved many moons ago to Easterton airfield, Birnie, Elgin.

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 04:41:09 pm »

Guys is there much interest in Rich's idea of meeting up to meet each other and to possibly move things on to a more formal footing? The weather looking more favourable so maybe that's the impetus we need to charge batts and get on the water.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 09:50:17 am »

As regards flying tution apparently there is a club at Kinloss barrracks who teach people on a Cessna and the gliding club that was at Dallachy moved many moons ago to Easterton airfield, Birnie, Elgin.
   I dont think CaptFuzz`s friend needs instruction, just flying hours. Looks like he has his own aircraft, or hires one, and can take passengers so has a good number of hours already.   Any thoughts about Springers for entertainment value at Dingwall ?   A visit to Whin Park sounds like good place to meet, asking about date from all interested ?

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 10:35:37 am »

...Hi Guys...

If you were to get an event organised in Inverness or surrounding area I would certainly be interested in coming up from Glasgow for a wee Jaunt...
Maybe a wee camping trip with boats could be possible...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.