Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failtie  (Read 11782 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Failtie
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 10:58:20 am »

That would be great Norry. Camp sites galore even one within walking distance of the Whin Park. Lots for kids to do, miniature railway etc, Loch Ness a short drive, Canal and Loch Ness boat trips on the door-step. Fishing and dolphins on Moray Firth, oil rigs and tugs another short drive, Cromarty Firth. Bring a boat or three, tugs and Springers of course.  Spey Valley is 30 minutes up the A9, Polar bear cub is latest must have toy !  Your expertise as a member of one of the most illustrious model boat clubs in Scotland would be welcomed by an embryo Highland club.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:59 am »

Not in the immediate area but perhaps a recruiting ground for a "West Coast Section" of a Highland model boat club is the model show at Fort William on 5th May at the  Nevis Centre, An Aird. Ft. William    Somebody should knock-out a couple of posters suggesting a get together.

Darts26

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:51 pm »

This message goes out to all those who would be willing to take part in a boating event I mentioned at the beginning. I have a firm date of Saturday July 14th and the word is that the Fire brigade are to be asked if they will clean up the pond prior to the event. This will be the last day of Dingwall Gala week hence the day and date.
I have to draw up H&S plans regarding event planned, car parking, pond safety and any other matters the council want considered.
So skippers in the local area if you would like to take part can I please have notes of intention on here so that I do not over estimate the numbers attending. I will have my drifter and a puffer and maybe an ARTS tug.

Hope to hear from you soon.

RST

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:18 pm »

I'll make a note of that date!  I might have something to sail, maybe my Sangsetia or another very much smaller boat by then!

...Let me know if you need any help with HSE docs.  I'm updating our companies docs for audits again so sure I could help put one or two others together if it helps.

Rich

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:14 am »

I will check dates ,if all is ok I will give it a go .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »

Sorry been off grid doing a lot of voluntary and other work. I thank you for your offer of of writing the H & S paperwork and I see that you are over in Aberdeen way, that being said would you not require a site visit to satisfy that all relevant local areas, which may raise a concern, are covered in the plan?

Still waiting to hear back from Debbie at Sports and Model shop what the other stalls that day are providing and that they will be able to have an open booth in the park.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 11:05:27 pm »

RST is the person  that said about the HSE paper work not me in Aberdeen ,I am having trouble typing  this . Not sure where RST bides.
David48
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 05:20:17 pm »

Ok thanks for clarifying this. Sorry folks been dealing with too much again lately to keep you all up to date.
Firstly, RST can I re-ask the question if you were to go ahead and do the H & S report would it entail a site visit to fully appreciate the pond issues?
Secondly, can I ask that those who would be interested in coming to please let me know through this page as I have been asked for possible boat numbers?
Thirdly, I passed a loch on the Dores road to Fort Augustus which comes up to the road side would trying to get permission to sail on there be a possible site for us?

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »

Some of Lochs along that road(I am thinking you mean Loch Mhor) have a number of sensitivities which would make it difficult for permission to be gained. (RST can probably guess)

Loch Tarff may be an option though

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:31 pm »

SJG, thanks for your quick reply I am not sure which one it was as I was driving and my nav has no sense of direction or places and had to go along that road as A82 blocked. I keep my eyes open as I drive past possible water but no sat nav so no running map to refer to.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 11:10:26 am »

Can anyone remember which loch that Jackie Wilson sponsored the model powerboat championships on ?   It was on that side (south) of Loch Ness , fast and furious i/c racing on an isolated venue that disturbed nobody plus a great meal laid on by the ladies of the club.  I think that a more public venue would be better for recruiting and as a showpiece for the public.  Whin Park would be the logical place as it is the capital of the Highlands and central to everyone. However  as Dingwall has an event that has centred `round a pond and a local model shop plus a nucleus of past modellers and the public that may be a better first event. If a Highland club evolves then a list of "local"model sailing venues could be listed to suit other events,a rota of venues could evolve. Loch Insh Watersports is familiar with the needs of modellers and would welcome model sailors for instance.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:28 am »

Sabre are you still with us ?  You were one of the fast and furious  i.c. racing brigade. What loch did you race on ?

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:43 pm »

Ok guys here is the latest as regards sailing event on Pefferside Park pond Dingwall on Saturday 14th July from 2pm. Today I was in the Sports and Model shop and spoke with both Andy and Debs and if I understand things correctly the pond will be drained, cleaned and then refilled prior to the event. This hopefully will get rid of much of the weeds and also a lot of the undesirable underwater debris.  If numbers appear indicated coming appear low then Debbie has suggested getting the r/c car club, who apparently run on 2.4 systems to put on a display near the pond.
Whilst I was in the shop Debbie handed me the Dingwall Gala week of events calendar and the boating event is clearly mentioned. So all I need to do now is hopefully get hold of RST and that all important H & S report, start mopping down boats, making sure everything works correctly and hoping that sufficient numbers do turn up to sail. Oh and also been asked to design a poster to let the model boaters in the Dingwall area not on this site aware that they would be welcome to join us providing they adhere to safety matters.

As an aside I have also been made aware that the option to run the booth/kiosk as a shop will not be taken up so that means that effectively the pond will be free for this year to sail on. Unless someone is prepared to invest a small fortune in the building structure.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 04:07:12 pm »

What kind of event is the boating going to be?  Docking, course with markers etc ? Is there a launching jetty or non-sloping area for access to the water for launching? Any frequency control for those not on 2.4ghz ?  Will there be tables and maybe a gazebo for static display ?  Will the event cover modellers for  Public liability insurance, any need to be affiliated to a model organisation ?  What clashes with the date ?  Will model boating be allowed on the pond before and after the event ?  I wonder if something like Springer Polo, or something similar, would be entertaining for the public ?  How close can vehicles get to the water for unloading models ?

Darts26

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:06 am »

This was to be a casual, no set rules or anything that meant those taking part couldn't be relaxed and enjoy the chance to sail again and strike up new friendships. The only table will be for tx control, nothing else and definitely no gazebo. There is a small island accessible by a bridge from the footpath surrounding the pond and my idea was that a helper would lower boats into the pond side and those skippers sailing would be out there, on the island, in peace and quiet away from distractions. Earlier though in the 1 hour before the 2 hour slot, 1pm onwards, I was going to let everyone have a chance to sail and check out their boats before the actual start time of 2pm. As we are only slotted in the programme till 4 pm it will mean further discussions with those organising the Gala event if more time is wanted. Insurance is down to the individual modeller as we are not the organisers nor are in charge. I was hoping to allocate some part of the car park, 75 yards from the pool side, to those bringing boats. Nearer than we have to walk with all our equipment from the car park to flying area at Loch Insh.

But before any boat goes near the water a H & S study and report needs completing and once that is done I have to then go to the local councillor with the proposal to ensure that they, the council, are happy with what has been put together.

So nothing is to regimented just relaxed sailing at a safe water area that is being cleaned for those taking part and possibly a few more sailing days after. 

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 10:17:38 am »

You will need some sort of control.  Advertising for entrants is dicey, what if a novice with a fast electric RTR turns up and ends up in the spectators, pond edge is the right angle for  child`s head-height strike.  Maybe someone wades out to retrieve his flat battery lump of plastic ?  Will there be a rescue boat ?  Pilots on island ?   Boats launched elsewhere does not seem right,   A static display gives possible recruits to modelling and a  chance for public to see what it is all about, a simple rope off area if no tables.  Why not an all day or display sail ?  Is the pond being used outwith the 2-4pm slot ? Any battery charging facilities on site ?   

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01:27 am »

...Hi Guys...

Sods Law is in Full Force as usual...I notice the date for your event is Saturday 14th of July 2018...This is one weekend I can,t make it as we are holding an event at our club in Glasgow on the Sunday (15th July)...This would rule out a camping trip and therefore too much to travel up & down from Glasgow in one day...
I, however wish you luck with your event and hope to attend another event in your area at another time...

[size=78%]...Best Regards...Norry...[/size]
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:19 pm »

Too bad Norry, you would like Dingwall, nice area, lots of interesting attractions in the area. Only 20 minutes from Inverness.  Hope you get nice weather for your event.  Did you see our wee freen Red is in Japan Now ?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.