Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOBBIES 'laissez faire' attitude  (Read 4516 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
HOBBIES 'laissez faire' attitude
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:47:58 am »

has anyone else had a problem with a laissez faire attitude towards customers.

I ordered some tubing earlier this week, and paid immediately via paypal for it........even got a great positive feedback for very fast payment.

It was dispatched on Wednesday with a deliver date for Friday. Frida and today's post came and no tubing......

fair enough........I could live with that because of the appalling weather that we have been having, lack of staff being able to get it to work, etc.......no problem.

what I can't deal with is the couldn't care less attitude that I received when I rang up earlier this morning, when the chap on the other end said......."oh yeh, remember packing that myself and putting it for dispatch.......should have been with you by now."

"it's holding me up on a build" I replied, "so could you check up with who ever you sent it with as to where it has gone"......

"oh yeh, ok, but can't do anything till Monday".............that's what really peees me off, not the fact that I haven't received it..........gawd knows I've got so much tidying up in my workshop to do anyway............its just the "couldn't care less" attitude.....

won't be dealing with HOBBIES again......would rather drive 80 miles round trip to Skelmersdale to my now nearest model shop, than give HOBBIES  my business........at least at Skem..........you get a lovely warm welcome and a happy face.

rant over. >>:-( <*<

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: HOBBIES laissez faire attitude
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:43 pm »

Hi Neil if you are referring to Steve at Scale Models I must agree he is a nice guy.
His shop/ unit only opens Friday & Saturday and there is a smashing little burger/ sandwich
Bar just opposite, what else can a man wish for boat bits and food mmmmm.

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:38:58 pm »

Hi Neil if you are referring to Steve at Scale Models I must agree he is a nice guy.
His shop/ unit only opens Friday & Saturday and there is a smashing little burger/ sandwich
Bar just opposite, what else can a man wish for boat bits and food mmmmm.

John

I totally agree..........but must have missed the burger van though!!! lol,..............not like me.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 03:15:09 pm »

Patience - the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.  :D
Regards,

Rich

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 04:47:38 pm »

Patience - the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.  :D

I have as much patience as any person alive..............just don't have time for people who couldn't care less about helping you, when you have already paid for a service.knowing that the next order is only minutes away.........it's the blasé way in which my request for information was treated.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »

B&Q sell tubing.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »

B&Q sell tubing.

thanks big ada...........I had a bash at heating the plastic tubing a scrap I had] with a hair dryer, but it all went pear shaped literally...........so am now going to try hot [boiling water to soften it] and see if I can get it right...........if not am going to buy some brass tubing, and heat it up before putting my pipe benders onto it and silver solder the construction up............even made a jig for what I was doing on my lifeboat..........just annoyed me this morning, and still fuming as I can't do anything with the model until the stuff arrives.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »

Hi Neil,

I was going to ask how the plumbing was going on! I'm in a similar, albeit earlier, state since I'm waiting for the arrival of my pump and subsequent hydraulic design work.

Cheers

Tony

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »

Hi Neil,
I was going to ask how the plumbing was going on! I'm in a similar, albeit earlier, state since I'm waiting for the arrival of my pump and subsequent hydraulic design work.
Cheers
Tony
are you referring to the steam lifeboat, Tony.

I believe Neil has abandoned that project as he has a few other lifeboats to build in the near future.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 02:01:52 am »

hi tony.............yes, as jim says, I have given up on the steam jet drive lifeboat, as I could not come to terms with what sort of propulsion I could buy on market, and as I am no engineer, I offered it lock stock and two smoking barrels to someone who would like to put his engineering and design skills to good use and build it, and I have absolutely no objections to that at all........

just waiting for a break in the weather for him to come and pick up all the moulds, plugs and model as far as I got it, but he's a busy man at the moment.............but wish he would hurry as I can't move in my workshop for all the bits n pieces................stopping me building my two Shannon's, lol...............no!!!!! that's a lie and pure fiction, lol............it's the 60 " Barnett............but I can't build that on a board in front of the TV,

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 10:51:15 am »

Oh, that's a great pity but I can understand your (probable) frustration at getting a suitable system.
I eventually managed to concoct what I hope is a cunning plan and have cut all the ribs in 3 different scales (I was bored) so when I get the pump I can see what will/won't fit.

Meanwhile and on the subject of HOBBIES, I can agree totally that indifference is not acceptable in customer relations but I can almost understand them being a bit stressed in that they, assuming it's the same HOBBIES, are basically in the middle of a forest south of Norwich and the fact that they were there to answer the phone was a bit heroic.

:embarrassed: Tony

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 12:32:38 am »

Neil,
Given the timing of post...Could it be that they can't get info from the delivery company until Monday?
in which case then the frustration may be misplaced?

My local ASDA hasn't had leeks for about a week, i doubt that they are deliberately slowing replenishment...
Regards,
Kim

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 08:59:19 am »

Can,t wait for the replays to this one  {-)

.[quote author=Kim link=topic=60271.msg635115#msg635115 date=1520814758

My local ASDA hasn't had leeks for about a week, i doubt that they are deliberately slowing replenishment...
Regards,
Kim

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:53:25 am »

I'm a bit puzzled by parts of this thread. Laissez faire, is an economic system without government intervention, so I'm not sure how it applies to slow delivery. I've no sympathy for a surly attitude from the chap spoken to, a cooperative response would have been so easy. I do have massive sympathy for Hobbies though, I've never had any problem dealing with them, and to be exposed in this way must be very difficult for them, especially at a time when we all want British companies to thrive.
  It might have been better to wait until Monday when something could be done, and if you got a similar attitude you could immediately mention it to someone at Hobbies who could address the problem. That way Hobbies could improve their service and you would get the information needed..
  Sorry if I sound critical, I totally understand your frustration, but I know what it's like to be represented by someone with a bad attitude as Hobbies appears to have been.
Chas.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:35 am »

hi chas, no criticism taken.........

there are two definitions for this phrase, and the meaning I take and am used to being a retired teacher is the one I always used on kids reports......i.e..

laissez-faire

ˌlɛseɪˈfɛː,French lɛsefɛʀ/

noun
noun: laissez-faire

• the policy of leaving things to take their own course, without interfering.
    "a laissez-faire attitude to life"
  • and it was this couldn't care less attitude and not the fact that it hadn't arrived that annoyed me..........when I asked if he could check whether it was lost or not......................."oh if I must" sort of thing was the attitude

• not the lateness of delivery
    ivery.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 12:27:53 pm »

So much for this parcel being dispatched last Wednesday, 7th march........... it was sent on a 48 hour service, meaning it would have gone on Saturday,10th, after I had phoned them to ask if it had been sent and therefore lost in the post for me to get it FINALLY this morning 13th march.

THIS IS WHAT ANNOYS ME!!!!........if only I had been told on Saturday when I phoned up......"oh, really sorry but your dispatch has been overlooked and we'll get it in the post on Monday".......I'd have been quite placated and happy that at least it would be on its way and not lost...........but to fudge over and try to bluff their way out.........NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!..absolutely no good to me now as I have made the thing in brass.

Neil.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:30 pm »

Good flux, that brown liquid is, and the beer is top notch stuff as well, nemesis

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 02:10:11 am »

Can,t wait for the replays to this one  {-)

.[quote author=Kim link=topic=60271.msg635115#msg635115 date=1520814758

Regards,
Kim

The wait is probably getting to you ... my point is that it not always the person in front of you that is to blame...
Hope that makes better sense to you,
Regards,
Kim

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 10:34:57 am »

Five years ago I went to Scotland on holiday and as requested by someone on this forum by the name of  "Neil" I visited Fleetwood to bring him 500 grams of Roquefort cheese. We had arranged a meeting.  I spent the whole day in Fleetwood waiting for "Neil", he never came and never contacted me to apologise. 
Are you the same Neil who is now such a stickler for good manners?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 11:13:02 am »

Five years ago I went to Scotland on holiday and as requested by someone on this forum by the name of  "Neil" I visited Fleetwood to bring him 500 grams of Roquefort cheese. We had arranged a meeting.  I spent the whole day in Fleetwood waiting for "Neil", he never came and never contacted me to apologise. 
Are you the same Neil who is now such a stickler for good manners?

Yes I am that man, Gazou, but this is the first time that I have heard of you actually bringing the cheese..........my friend Mike who you went to see at the time about a model boat you were interested in, was supposed to ring me when you arrived at his house, as I wanted to meet you............

I had no idea as to you coming bearing gifts, although we had joked about it to one another on here and it wasn't until you had posted on the forum that you had been to Fleetwood that I knew of your visit to Mike.

Sadly he never rang me and I went round to his flat after I saw your post on here that you had been, to ask him why he had not contacted me, and all he could say was that he had forgotten to phone me.

We found out very shortly before his sad death last June 2017 [only a week before his death and that included his son and daughter as he kept his feelings and personal life private] that he had been suffering from terminal cancer for some time, and I can only think that phoning me was the last thing on his mind.

I am a stickler for good manners and always hope for the same, and I can only APOLOGISE MOST PROFUSELY  for this mix up that occurred, as I really did want to meet you, your sense of Gallic humour I find refreshing and certainly would not have given up the chance of 500 gms of my favourite cheese. I REALLY AM SORRY  for this sad affair, and should you ever be in the UK up my way again, I shall make it up to you by taking you out for a few good British beers and some nice Lancashire blue cheese.

I hope you do accept my apology.

Neil.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HOBBIES 'laissez faire' attitude
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 12:36:55 pm »

I had Neil in e-mail, everything is good :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »

But by now the cheese is well matured I guess....   :o

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »

I had Neil in e-mail, everything is good :-))

thank you Gazou...........i do so hate letting people down...........i look forward to a beer with you one day...

as for the cheese, Colin, much to my sad consternation.........i never tasted a morsel of it, and only wish i had, for my late friend Mike ALSO  liked blue cheese, and Roquefort is the king of the "blues" in my opinion.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 10:30:08 pm »

Neil...

Was the Roquefort laid to rest with Mike? ...I have always planned to visit at GAZOU Land boating celebration.......possibly we could share some wine & cheese on that day? ..if GAZOU could be so kind  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 12:35:10 am »

Neil...

Was the Roquefort laid to rest with Mike? ...I have always planned to visit at GAZOU Land boating celebration.......possibly we could share some wine & cheese on that day? ..if GAZOU could be so kind  {-)

Derek

derek, i'd love to share cheese and wine with you and Gazou.........but hopefully not to insult gazou........you could bring a nice Clare Valley or Barossa Valley Cote du Rhone with you, I'll bring some Lancashire blue, and gazou could bring the Roquefort and a nice claret of his choice.....

Mike was cremated and his ashes were scattered from the stern of the new Fleetwood's Shannon lifeboat one nice sunny June evening, into the River Wyre, and so no room in his casket for any cheese, I'm afraid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.