Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 5096 times)

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« on: March 03, 2018, 09:49:44 pm »

Just joined the Forum today and I'm still trying to work my way around the site, as computers are not my first subject. Apparently it's helpful if we introduce ourselves. I've just completed my 30th boat model, a 1/10 scale model of a Dutch Damen Stan patrol, which works out at 63 inches in length. All my models are about that length, as being the largest model I can work on in my shed. Most are made of metal, in this case reclaimed sheets of 0.047" aluminium. I have built 7 GMC DUKWS, several to museum standard. I used to sail at Verulamium but on my last visit there was no water, only 2 feet of mud. St Albans have done next to no maintenance in decades and blame everyone else, ducks, geese,people feeding wildfowl, water companies, river authorities etc. The possibility of sailing at Hemel is interesting, but there must be parking facilities as my models are too heavy to carry more than a few yards. I can post a few pictures when I have worked out how to do it. I'm currently working on an RAF Range Safety Launch, Thornycroft 43ft c1955, at 60 inches which is 1:8.5 scale, and am gathering info and pictures to help me.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:34:06 pm »

A warm welcome Piers.  I have learned much here, and made many new friends.
Not sure where you are in Hertfordshire, but if you get a chance to visit Black Park lake I think you would like it.  Quite large, spring fed and weir level controlled. Weed rare.  Lots of wild life.
Easy access for big boats from car park.  SL3 6DS
We usually meet Sunday mornings and Thursdays from mid day.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:43:22 pm »

Hi Piers , welcome aboard.
  As a  lot of us bilge rats would very much like to see some of your work we hope you can get to grips with the forum image posting procedures.  Any problems just ask.

Balders
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:41:35 am »

I replied to the messages and attached three photos. Got message, 'my message could not be saved refer to adminisatrator'   and it vanished!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:53:40 am »

Hum, perhaps you have to post a certain number of posts before it will let you put up images . Not sure , hang on a while and Martin will advise .

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:39:41 am »

Hi Piers,

There are a couple of ways to add images to your post.

Use this link to view Martin's image tutorial

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23.msg629393.html#msg629393

Looking for to your pic's of your Dutch Damen Stan patrol build

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:54:03 pm »

hi piers....you dont want to go to black park.......bobk needs "volunteers" to launch his large Agincourt! seriously a good club with a large open water. alternatively you can look at the Welwyn Garden City club or the Stevenage or even Luton. all are fine clubs. im the person sorting the license at Hemel. this will come under the Luton club for a couple of years ehile the new club finds its feet. feel free to come up one sunday and have a visit. or our club meeting is on monday 12th march at tge bushmead community center lu2 7sf. we are having a bring and buy.....ps anyone can come for the evening!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »

Hello Klunk,

Thanks for the info. My son has looked at this and says my pictures are much bigger than you are able to take, and I do not know how to shrink them. I can only suggest that a dozen or more of my boats are on my FB site in a folder called 'some of my boat models' and are viewable there, including construction details. I'm on there under the name peter beardsmore with a profile picture of an RAF launch. In the meantime I will try and figure this out.  Thanks, Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »

Resizing photos for posting on Mayhem has been discussed many times before, and there are a number of ways to do it. Light Image Resizer was recommended to me some years ago and I have used it successfully ever since. There is a free download available here http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/ I find it very easy to use. As I said, it's free, although the full version must be purchased. Nevertheless, the free version is more than adequate for my needs.

Peter.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 09:32:21 pm »

Uploading using the forum upload facility on the green button all photos are resized automatically . You don't have to do anything to shrink them

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23.400.html

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:52 pm »

Thanks Peter. Tried what you said, but it now won't accept my password. Tried a few times.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:48:13 pm »

Try again tomorrow Piers. I don't know why computers do it but they seem to have off periods. Welcome by the way.
Pond weed is your enemy

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:27:19 pm »

Thanks Peter. Tried what you said, but it now won't accept my password. Tried a few times.

Hi Piers,

Had a quick look at your Facebook page - wow - some amazing builds.

Best bet is to use Martin's new fangled image server which is separate system from Model Boat Mayhem but linked via the green button.

So you are already on Mayhem all you will also need a separate account on the Mayhem Image Server (a separate system with separate user name and password)

To subscribe you need to go here and open an account - http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/

From memory you can only use A-Z 0-9 no other characters and no spaces in either username or password.

Once you have done this you can upload and auto post images from the green button in a post ( it's in the toolbar below the bold font button)

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 04:18:44 pm »

Hello C3PO,

Thanks for the compliment on my models and for the tips. I'm barely computer literate, I can just about manage FB on a good day, but when I feel ambitious, I will try what you said.  All my models except the blue launch and the RAF 63ft Fire Boat which were wood, were made from scrap metal.  Once upon a time we had scrap yards where I could buy very cheaply all manner of sheet ali etc. They have all gone, and I am no longer allowed to buy metal from the Council Tip. (Health and Safety). The current build, the Damen Stan 1605 Patrol boat was made from a large ali van body, and all the sections were made from an aluminium greenhouse, which had some very interesting and complicated sections. You can cut most sections out of them on a circular saw bench, 'L'  'U' 'T' sections etc. You need full face protection and heavy leather gloves for this operation as the 'saw-dust' is needles of aluminium which have enough velocity to penetrate skin, like little darts.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 07:47:52 pm »

Here are some pics from Piers Grabeard's build's...

All my models except the blue launch and the RAF 63ft Fire Boat which were wood, were made from scrap metal

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »

Nice to share my model pictures with other enthusiasts.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:59 pm »

Absolutely stunning work :-))

Peter.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:50 pm »

The rivets add a lot of period character to the model Peter. This is in metal as Danielle and Brian B's work is in timber. I love the way the panels and components fit together along with the lightening holes and tabs, it has the feel of an aircraft.

Gorgeous  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 09:25:04 pm »

I learned a few things at Handley Page in the 1960's. (They had a lot better facilities though!)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 09:39:04 pm »

A friend of mine worked at De Havilland's in the fifties working on the Comet as well as conversion and modification jobs. One job he had was to make and fit a silver lavatory paper holder into an aircraft of the Royal flight  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »

There was no toilet on a Victor, only polythene pipes into plastic bottles.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:15 pm »

More images on behalf of Piers Grabeard - apologies if I have them in the wrong order...

Piers Grabeard

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 10:40:02 pm »

Don't worry about the order, I built 7 DUKW's and I can't tell one from another, now.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:47 pm »

and more.....

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 08:00:02 am »

Wow.  :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.