Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 61   Go Down

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267810 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2019, 08:52:19 pm »

Monstrous slur. Pistols at dawn sir!  <*< <*< :police: :police:

I’ll accept if you can find my missing wheel off my suitcase from 2012! {-)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2019, 12:13:47 am »

I feel your pain, after doing my research for my new DSLR I have a new respect for modern lenses and the camera they attach to! Not cheap in the slightest!

Didn't cause me much pain as it was done on the insurance, A new lens would have cost them £2k+.

The guy I was speaking didn't seem to understand that it was not attached to the camera at the time, and kept asking me if the camera was OK He didn't understand what a DSLR was apparently; that was until I told him that if it had  been on the camera body at the time, it would have cost them in the region of £6k+ to replace them. I think I was a bit slow there somehow.

LB

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2019, 05:18:39 pm »

Some really excellent quality rubber car mats by Travall  :-))

Q? has anyone got personal experience of a 12 volt screen demister. There are very mixed contradictory reviews about all the ones I've looked at. I have aircon so that ought to help but diesels are so slow to warm up.
I have 2 12 volt sockets on the circuit backed by a 30 amp fuse so the 200watt models would be ok if they work

Just bought 8 assorted torps
https://uk.the-sub.com/beers/?email=bypass&utm_medium=email&utm_source=salesforce&utm_content=ctabutton_beers&utm_campaign=2_top_rated_torps_uk_uk_29_01_2019_eo
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2019, 10:36:13 pm »

I bought a ready roasted chicken out of Asda........and got a free tug aand a buttie hulls!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »

Funny that you should mention that Klunk, we have a club competition this Saturday.
We are expected to make a working boat based around the packaging that comes wrapped around an Asda roast chicken, the black base has to be then hull. Frantically trying to get mine finished today.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2019, 01:46:24 pm »

My digital camera of 9 years, which has served me very well including a four month detachment to the Falkland Islands during the winter months, bit the dust yesterday. It survived the coldest winter tempertures I have ever experienced and it survived the movers at Brize Norton but the holiday to North Somerset last October caused a chunck of screen to fall away. No matter how I tried dust kept getting in to the gap behind the screen and when I turned it on yesterday the screen gave up!
So I decided to move on to the next generation of camera, a Digital SLR, a Canon EOS 4000 with a standard 24 to 55mm lense. It's not the most sophisticated DSLR, and it's in no way the best either, but I'm happy with this beginner'e entry into DSLR technology. I'm having fun learning the new functions and the manual focus to acheive different results. :-))

Good luck with the new camera Nick. Photography is another of my interests and I'm a Canon user. Bought myself a new lens after Christmas and had an excellent day out on Monday giving it a good try out.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2019, 03:32:37 pm »

I bought a Dragon Force 65 yacht this morning, should be delivered tomorrow and ready by the end of the weekend. It will be my second attempt at model yachting, the first involved a second hand 10 Rater which I totally failed to sail in anything like a reasonable manner!
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2019, 03:37:56 pm »

Read the instructions and set it up
Per Se.
It will sail as good as some very expensive
models and I'm sure you will be pleased
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »

I bought a Dragon Force 65 yacht this morning, should be delivered tomorrow and ready by the end of the weekend. It will be my second attempt at model yachting, the first involved a second hand 10 Rater which I totally failed to sail in anything like a reasonable manner!

Soch Sails do a good, straightforward tuning guide so you don't have to start from scratch yourself.  They also provide a very comprehensive rig building guide, more detailed than the instructions you get with the boat.  And you don't even have to buy their sails! (Although they do make very nice ones.)  All this doesn't alter the fact that tying all those little knots is very fiddly (and do put a dab of superglue on the knots when you have finished - it saves that embarrassing moment when you discover you didn't tie one tight enough.).  But it's worth it, the DF65 is a super little boat.  One tip - I found that the plastic tube on the booms which provide adjustments to the clews of the sails (aft bottom corners) tended to slip in boisterous conditions.  I have put two pieces on the booms to stop them moving unintentionally.

Have fun sailing - once the ice melts!  :}

Greg

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2019, 05:03:37 pm »

Soch Sails
[/size]Made my sails Spot on.
[/size]Tim Long is a very experienced
[/size]RC Sailor.
[/size]Birthday boy Yesterday.
[/size]Ned
[/size]

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2019, 05:10:52 pm »

Tried resizing but no way.  <*<
Ned

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2019, 05:43:29 pm »

Thanks for the tips, Ned & Greg, that's what I'll be looking at this evening! Always wanted a model yacht, ever since watching them sail on Princes park lake in Eastbourne just around the corner from my grandparents house as a nipper in the 60s.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2019, 05:45:17 pm »

Tried resizing but no way.  <*<
Ned
Ned, I think this is what you wrote -
Soch Sails
Made my sails Spot on.
Tim Long is a very experienced
 RC Sailor.
 Birthday boy Yesterday.
 Ned   
(I copied it into Word, enlarged the text then copied it here.)
Greg

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:50 pm »

I've read and saved the Soch info, will probably make more sense with the boat in front of me. Half of it is like trying to read another language, there are so many special terms in sailing! Oh well, the weather's not looking good so I should have plenty of time to sort it out slowly.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2019, 06:24:46 pm »

ANDY

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »

Thank you, Taranis, more very useful information. I like to as well-informed as possible before getting stuck into a model. I have very very little experience with yachts, but a fair amount with scale and power boats, and a lifetime of aero modelling to draw on. The 10 rater I bought years ago was before the days of the internet, so I was very much on my own with it, and pretty clueless.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2019, 07:34:25 pm »

We had a auction day at the club.
Bought a Robbe Blue Marine mkII fresh out of the box incl. motor and recommended Robbe Rookiy ESC for 6.5£ and a un-started Robbe Marauda kit 90% intact including the Navycompact drive unit again for 6.5£
Also bought some boxes with bits and pieces including a brand new marx vario propeller 50
Still going though it all and still get amazed of what people has been storing though time
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2019, 10:41:00 am »

The DF65 arrived this morning, 24 hours after ordering, despite the cold rain and snow. First impression is that is very impressive, the packaging alone is worthy of comment.

I'm having some work don in my model room today, so it's staying in the box for now, so restricting myself to reading the instructions and printing out the tips posted here yesterday ready for assembly.

Yachts seem to have numbers rather than names, but I can't imagine I'll be breaking any rules by naming my DF 'Althea".

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:11 pm »

Enjoy Dave and consider what battery you might use. I use a 1000mah LiFe battery with a low voltage alarm.
They also do other options
https://www.radiosailing.co.uk/vapex---life-66v-1000-mah-rx-battery-pack-514-p.asp

Not related
I have just bought 2x 50 cal ammo boxes for transporting and storing my large collection of LiPo batteries. Now I'm looking for suitable pressure relief valves for them. I want to let pressure out without feeding Oxygen to any potential fire within
ANDY

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2019, 02:48:47 pm »

I think I'll just use a 4.8 or 6v NiMH pack, as I have a few already, or even just dry cells as the model includes a battery holder for them.

Once I've learnt how to drive it, it might be worth getting some lighter batteries, but for now I will just be wallowing about trying to get the hang of it. I managed to teach myself how to build and fly RC helicopters back in the dark days before gyros, and the worst that can happen with a yacht is it just stops for a while, unlike a helicopter which has a very strong attraction to the ground!

I've made the stand and fitted the keel and rudder, hope to get on with the rigging on the weekend. Very impressed with the perfect fit of everything I've looked at so far.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2019, 04:16:59 pm »

I use a 6V nimh pack as I have no confidence in the supplied battery holder.
Ned

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2019, 06:00:26 pm »

From LidlA disc sander

A Multi purpose tool
Multi purpose tool attachment pack
Salad tomatoes

From B & Q
A 5 lever Mortice YALE lock for the front door (where the door and frame had to be adjusted to get it to fit as its not as stated - compatible with an 24 year old Yale lock)
A MAC allister organiser plastic box for the excess number of spare screws I have, and appears to be still growing.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2019, 06:18:26 pm »

Incidentally, whilst in the queue, there is a strange sense of rivalry whilst waiting to go in, usual tension of I was first in the queue so don't push in, the second guy ask what I had come for but I didn't give it away - just in case - the next couple of guys, parked the car at the front door and not in the car park, so rum uns for a start, kept maneovering to try and be first in, but when they were talking to the 2nd guy the said they were after the stand drill (pillar drill to me and you) so was quite relieved, as I had a trolley I joked I would use it to obstruct those pushing in front, they laughed, but they got talking to the other guy and he stated he was after the multi-tool as he just broke his other one whilst using it to do a bit of grouting and saw how cheap this one is, he then mention he had a load of tools that at 74 he was not going to get much use out of after retiring from the carpentry trade, he then said his wife had starting to nag him about getting rid of some of it, one of the rum uns asked what he had, he said a couple of tools and a Myford - not the new fangled type, but the old type, gesturing about a metre and half long bed stating it had the belts and wheels type you adjusted to change the speed - the younger rum un suddendly asked if he would sell it and for how much - £200.00 - I was gob smacked and said to him, you do realise that they are expensive to get hold of, and left it at that as he is bound to get ripped off by them two, they got his phone number and a rough idea where he lived to arrange to see it, I am a suspicious type and can expect to hear that he's had a break in - I could be wrong.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2019, 11:19:57 am »

The ammo cans just arrived and very pleased with the quality.
 :-))

ANDY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2019, 03:04:16 pm »

The ammo cans just arrived and very pleased with the quality.
 :-))

This has got to be a US ammo can. All that tracer.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 61   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.