Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267799 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #875 on: September 04, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »

You bought a new car Stan.  %%

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #876 on: September 07, 2020, 04:33:41 pm »

This arrived today, a jewelers saw or I believe sometimes called a piercing saw, I'll be using it for cutting out parts from a .05mm brass sheet to make the rigging fittings for my Bella build, well that's the plan anyway. ok2

Joe.

RST

« Reply #877 on: September 16, 2020, 02:13:02 am »

This arrived today, a jewelers saw or I believe sometimes called a piercing saw
Piercing saw for sure, Jewelers just happen to use them.  Long time since I used one but that little block undeneath with the Vee cut-out seems essential.  I've been everywhere last 3-4 weeks looking for a small pair of round nosed pliers.  Seems the only pair I can get anywhere locally is £46+vat Knipex ones and they're too big, apart from the cost.  So that's about £15 of diesel just looking for these.  Nevermind, it was worth a shot and gives me a chance to escepe the house these days.  I'll reluctantly go to find a pair on-line.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #878 on: September 16, 2020, 03:58:05 am »

Not actually purchased this week....... :embarrassed: ....more like 780 or so weeks ago.... O0  a pair of 68-200 Knipex wire cutters....designed for concrete wire tie cutting in the steel reinforcement process prior to the concrete pour ...if you go to a construction site where the Steel Fixers are working......they all have this Brand of cutter

I have only use them on brass & up to 1.5 mm thick for 15 years

Knipex Brand .....quality Tool Steel and accurate heat treatment.....would have to be one of the highest Standard of hand tool I have found :-))

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #879 on: September 16, 2020, 05:39:14 pm »

Came home a day early from hols. Immediately I feverishly looked for the letter from ParcelFarce/Customs so I could pay the charges on my Schottels from OceanWorks.
You guessed it..... no letter  <*<

Messed about nearly an hour queuing on phone to the deviants and finally got a 17 digit number to then ring again to the automated payment line  {:-{

Should be delivered tomorrow, I won't hold my breath
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #880 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:36 pm »

Just delivered now waiting for the CAA paperwork,
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #881 on: September 19, 2020, 02:20:00 am »

How many channel R.C.?   :embarrassed:

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #882 on: September 19, 2020, 06:02:59 pm »

How many channel R.C.?   :embarrassed:
Regrettably none however, it is going to keep my wife happy as it has seats and a heater unlike my Tiger Moth which it is replacing, it burns 11 LTR per hour and cruises  at 95 kts on unleaded rather than Avgas.
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #883 on: September 26, 2020, 10:45:40 am »

After a long career of little use the old shredder packed in.
Choosing a replacement was quite a challenge but the fellows arrived at 21:00 hrs last night and all is well  :-))

ANDY

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #884 on: September 26, 2020, 11:03:27 am »

we have a simple system - if a letter arrives and the information within it does not identify us, obviously the name and address is the usually identifier, we tear off the address and any customer / reference numbers etc, so effectively the letter can be read but it could be for anyone - our neighbours for instance, if it doesn't identify you or a family member then it goes in the paper recycling, the torn off bits go into a bag and once or twice a year we burn the bits, once burnt the ashes (and sometimes you could still read the address etc) are stirred up until powder and deposited on our back lane where it would nourish the bit of bee plants we have there along the edge, simply we recycle the majority of the paper and destroy only the relevant bits, next time you have a letter or mail shot, check what would be identified as you if you redacted the name, address or reference numbers (car reg plates and insurance identifiers included) and ask yourself, do I know who this could be, the recycled paper is then not wasted, or able to be reconstructed (unless a cross shredder), less electric used and the bits could be burnt in the summer after the bar b cue when finished with.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #885 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:00 pm »

I’ve kept the capacious collector as my new workshop bin  :-))
ANDY

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #886 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »

Very handy 75mm/3 inch sliding bevel.

Proops Brothers Ltd £3.60 inc. delivery.

Excellent quality for the money but you need to clean the varnish off the blade and cut the wing nut wings a little, 5 minute job.

Mike.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #887 on: September 30, 2020, 05:56:17 pm »

ANDY

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #888 on: September 30, 2020, 07:23:48 pm »

Good price, but what do you use it for.
I've got a couple of litres in brown glass bottles tucked away somewhere but I doubt I've opened them in 20 years.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #889 on: September 30, 2020, 07:31:48 pm »

Having had to cancel both our Greece holidays this year I have ordered the chaniotiki-gaita by Navarino Models as featured in the current edition of Model Boats. I actually ordered it from Discound Hobby Zone in Athens on Monday and it should be delivered tomorrow. Alas it will be whisked away as an Xmas present from Mrs B but it is a lovely little model and I'm wondering if it might be possible to motorise it with a bit of modification.

https://www.discounthobbyzone.com/en-gb/scale-modeling/model-kits/ships/chaniotiki-gaita

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #890 on: September 30, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »

Good price, but what do you use it for.
I've got a couple of litres in brown glass bottles tucked away somewhere but I doubt I've opened them in 20 years.
Diluting epoxy resins, cleaning up resins. removing resins and all manner of sticky from hands and surfaces etc
ANDY

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #891 on: October 01, 2020, 07:24:34 am »

Diluting epoxy resins, cleaning up resins. removing resins and all manner of sticky from hands and surfaces etc

Right, OK. I've only ever used it for pre-injection wipes. I'd not thought of using it for anything other than 'medical'.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #892 on: October 04, 2020, 03:50:16 am »

For the past 2 months the 3 year old $39.00 - [1 year warranty] DURATECH micro gas torch...turned into a flame thrower  O0 ......& totally unsuitable for soft soldering anything

WEB search suggests poor quality gas!..........
If not poor quality gas......throw it in the bin.....[a 12 hour ultrasonic bath did not cure the gas to air adjustment issue]

WEB search suggest the elcheapo versions [DURATECH] are a waste of $

So have invested in a $59.00 - [3 year warranty]  BERNZOMATIC micro gas torch :kiss: ......so now no excuse for not continuing steam tube soldering work

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #893 on: October 04, 2020, 08:39:26 am »

High Colin I checked out the website and I think you chickened out!  That monoreme would have been a great boat to motorize!
Roy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #894 on: October 05, 2020, 11:16:42 am »

we have a simple system - if a letter arrives and the information within it does not identify us, obviously the name and address is the usually identifier, we tear off the address and any customer / reference numbers etc, so effectively the letter can be read but it could be for anyone - our neighbours for instance, if it doesn't identify you or a family member then it goes in the paper recycling, the torn off bits go into a bag and once or twice a year we burn the bits, once burnt the ashes (and sometimes you could still read the address etc) are stirred up until powder and deposited on our back lane where it would nourish the bit of bee plants we have there along the edge, simply we recycle the majority of the paper and destroy only the relevant bits, next time you have a letter or mail shot, check what would be identified as you if you redacted the name, address or reference numbers (car reg plates and insurance identifiers included) and ask yourself, do I know who this could be, the recycled paper is then not wasted, or able to be reconstructed (unless a cross shredder), less electric used and the bits could be burnt in the summer after the bar b cue when finished with.

Nemesis - emailed me with his solution, take the paper and soak in the left over washing up water - squeeze and make into a ball - simples, my only worry is the details still being recovered from it so I will give it a go on the bits torn off, see if they turn illegible and then once dry recycle that as well.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #895 on: October 05, 2020, 03:38:39 pm »

Nemesis - emailed me with his solution, take the paper and soak in the left over washing up water - squeeze and make into a ball - simples, my only worry is the details still being recovered from it so I will give it a go on the bits torn off, see if they turn illegible and then once dry recycle that as well.

I have not tried this but I don't fancy lots of balls of wet paper. It is OK if it is just an address but I quite often get whole pages (& multiples thereof) that need safe disposal. What did Nemesis suggest doing with the wet balls?  I would also need convincing that it could not be opened out. There are many different sorts of paper & inks so one test will not prove much.

The advantages that I can see are:
1) It can be done daily rather than an occasional burn up.
2) Even if possible it would take real effort to open out the paper even if someone knew to try & could be bothered.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2020, 11:43:09 am »

Tried it & it doesn't work for me.
Took a page of junk mail, which looked like standard printer paper, and soaked it for 5 mins then made the tightest ball that I could. Put it in the airing cupboard overnight This morning it is dry but I can open it out and whilst damaged large parts of it are fully readable.

Back to bonfires.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2020, 11:54:52 am »

I've been following this thread and am slightly bemused by it.

Does everyone really think that there is an army of bad guys out there intent on rootling through your rubbish to acquire data.

For me barring tearing stuff in half everything just goes in the green bin, I don't see a problem with that.

Or have others had experiences I haven't. Otherwise it just seems incredibly over cautious to me. These days if people want your data I would have thought that hacking would have been more likely than bin trawling.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2020, 12:44:29 pm »

Bin diving can be a problem - particularly if you put you recycling bin out the night before collection.
It might be overcautious but it is all about what you feel comfortable with.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #899 on: October 06, 2020, 12:46:31 pm »

Yep - paranoid doesn't come into it  {-)

Anyway - back to what we have bought.

car boot mats from Lidl - 6.99 - bought two one for mine and one for the wifes
800 mm x 1200 mm each
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 61   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.