Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267825 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1000 on: January 20, 2021, 08:49:17 pm »

I've had couple of orders with CMB lately. I don't seem to be able to avoid hitting around £40 and it fits in an envelope. I think model boat fittings are extremly expensive and pushing my "scratch build  {-) {-) " towards 2k  %%

Why are little handwheels sold as a packet of 2 for £1.80 in this country but as a packet of 10 for about €7 in europe?

>:-o   surely a two pack is a waste of time and packaging? any modeller would go for ten and if any over go in the stock drawers
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1001 on: January 20, 2021, 10:21:49 pm »

Hi I am experiencing a similar problem in buying some house bulb LED lights from Holland.  DpD have suspended deliveries and a further email from the supplier also refers to paperwork not being accepted at the customs.

How easy we were told it would all be! Boris is in my thoughts most nights but when I check he is still there each morning.  The problem is he has to do 2 years as P.M. before he can claim the pension.
Regards
Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1002 on: January 21, 2021, 10:25:07 am »

....................How easy we were told it would all be! Boris is in my thoughts most nights but when I check he is still there each morning.  The problem is he has to do 2 years as P.M. before he can claim the pension.
Regards
Roy
This big problem is that we are where we are & there is no obvious way out regardless of who is pm unless we are prepared to accept single market etc. Even if we decided that to be the case ( & this government will not) it would take years to change the situation. Regretably we need to learn to live with the problems.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1003 on: January 21, 2021, 11:28:54 am »

Hi Tug, I respect your opinion but I have seen the same problem with a local council who stopped doing any maintenance around the lake we used for sailing our boats.  The club had offered to do work on the lake provided the alledged keepers of the park removed the branches etc.

They refused as they said we should not go in the lake, it is all of 18 inches deep!  So now it needs much more spent on it, I challenged them with their past lack of attention and they said "We are where we are".  It is just a cop out!

I know we are where we are it is more a case of do we deserve to be there when you were told how to avoid the situation?
They asked for a talk with us and I ruled myself out of it.
Regards, rant over,
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #1004 on: January 21, 2021, 06:56:08 pm »

Councils have no interest in model boaters.

In the North London region we've lost four out of five model boat ponds in recent years. They're either drained and left empty or repurposed into wildlife ponds and filled up with plants. Even Highgate pond has been compromised as a boating pond by growing reeds in areas around the bank, and addition of an island.

Seems to be no shortage of funds for sports facilities though.

RST

« Reply #1005 on: January 21, 2021, 07:14:50 pm »

I've had couple of orders with CMB lately. I don't seem to be able to avoid hitting around £40 and it fits in an envelope. I think model boat fittings are extremly expensive and pushing my "scratch build  {-) {-) " towards 2k  %%

Why are little handwheels sold as a packet of 2 for £1.80 in this country but as a packet of 10 for about €7 in europe?

>:-o   surely a two pack is a waste of time and packaging? any modeller would go for ten and if any over go in the stock drawers
I work in Europe and when I'm modelling at my apartment (not that I've been back for almost 12 months now) I can assure you the cost of parts out there is substantially more than here.  I never realised just how good we have / had it in terms of model boats as a hobby here in the UK until I spent that much time abroad.  It's much more expensive in France in my experience anyway.  I really sympathise with EU modellers.  Couple of French modellers told me they often order from the UK when they can also -cheaper for the same parts, and takes half the time to deliver also.  There are some very nice NL and German parts, but the costs often don't compare unless you're used to it.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1006 on: February 05, 2021, 11:02:02 pm »

Besides lots of boring boaty styreney stuff I had to take up this great price for great Belgian beers.
https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/belgian-mixed-case  Nectar
ANDY

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1007 on: February 06, 2021, 08:57:10 am »

Well My lovely wife has just bought me MV Timrix form my model railway.  :-)) :-))
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/images/timrix.jpg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1008 on: February 07, 2021, 07:05:01 pm »

Aldi bargain £2.99 or £1.50 a glass 6.2% pure Belgian  8)
ANDY

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1009 on: February 08, 2021, 09:56:29 am »

My Tollman Tug from MMM has just arrived.
John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1010 on: February 14, 2021, 06:14:54 am »

Hi all further to post #1001.  My new and more powerful LED 240 volt lights arrived yesterday.  When the kitchen was converted from a bedroom we had 50 watt halogen lighting 10 GU 10 bulbs, perhaps over bright so when LED lights became less expensive I checked on equivalents in lumens but my information was sadly wrong.  I ordered replacement LEDs but the light level was a bit low.
Over the years (since 2011) I have had to change the many early failures  and always increased the wattage, but with lockdown and cold weather some of my modelling has really been kitchen table.  I also had to use additional lighting.

I checked again on the lumen equivalents and if you are using 50 watt halogen then you need at least a 600 - 700 lumens of light level.  I found this is about an 8 watt LED with 575 lumens.  With LEDs always check the beam width, it varies from 35 degrees to 120 degrees with maybe 3/4 choices in between.  I opted for the 120 degree spread, this gives a nice even slight overlap of light.

My bulbs eventually arrived from Osram the manufacturers which is in Holland.  They were held up nearly a month at customs by the need for more paperwork!  Oh Boris I wish we could export you and see how long you  take to get back!

The Suppliers, Any Lamp, were as good as it gets with customer service.  A previous order had an expected long wait due to above and they refunded my money without asking.  A second order started with their LIVE enquiry desk in Holland and I spoke to a very helpful gentleman who checked on the right bulb and stock and I placed an order knowing there would be a delay but no one else had them in stock either.

The lights are just right!  The cost was £3.20 ea. and they are also dimmable, you can easily find yourself paying 3 times this price with some UK stockists.  As a point for those not used to LED lights when on, they are just warm to the touch, Halogen run at 200 degrees C.  Also if you have a metal housing for halogen lights the heat can distort the metal and make them difficult to extract and change.

regards
Roy

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #1011 on: February 14, 2021, 07:09:09 am »

Not quite a modelboat but a new companion during lockdown. First puppy in 25years, right now sleep is a luxury  ok2

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1012 on: February 14, 2021, 10:46:52 am »

Not quite a modelboat but a new companion during lockdown. First puppy in 25years, right now sleep is a luxury  ok2

Beautiful pup - looks mischievous in the photo - here in the UK apparently there is a surge of dog kidnappings - How sick some criminals are is actually believable in these times
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1013 on: February 16, 2021, 09:33:01 pm »

The price of a 180ml tin of Tamiya FINE primer has gotten silly! So my usual model shops are now out of the picture.
Even at CMB with members discount nearly £8 a tin  %%

I just bought 8 cans at £6.49 and only £3.99 delivery on ebay. There must be a substantial profit margin, it's a pity I cannot find a trade seller.

ANDY

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #1014 on: February 17, 2021, 12:15:34 am »

Another auction buy, unfinished Smit Nederland 528.

Only a few bits to fix and 3 vents missing.

No Motors or ESC, but my parts have what I require !!!

Canabus

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1015 on: February 17, 2021, 10:51:53 am »

The price of a 180ml tin of Tamiya FINE primer has gotten silly! So my usual model shops are now out of the picture.
Even at CMB with members discount nearly £8 a tin  %%

I just bought 8 cans at £6.49 and only £3.99 delivery on ebay. There must be a substantial profit margin, it's a pity I cannot find a trade seller.

Great service! posted this morning with tracking
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Fine-Surface-Primer-L-Grey/352621424141?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1016 on: February 18, 2021, 06:29:53 pm »

I've gone a bit mad this week but I work long hours so I thought what the hell.  I've wanted these for about 2 years

23 hand made miniature carving tools with pear wood handles.

They are made to order by Mihail in Russia and you should see some of his own carvings.  There are flat, curved and angled mini chisels in the set and he sends you a guide on how to sharpen them.  Oh and there's a mini 4mm knife too.  I can't wait to get them but they are stuck in customs in Moscow at the moment.  Just need to be patient as I reckon they will be released in about 2-3 weeks and be on their way.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1017 on: February 18, 2021, 06:33:14 pm »

They are wonderful and you deserve them as one who very much possesses the skill to use them to full effect.

Enjoy them! we will enjoy your work  8) 
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1018 on: February 18, 2021, 06:41:44 pm »

Cheers mate but I ain't that good - These are once in a lifetime purchases I just need one of the kids to start building so that I can pass them on in years to come. 

I should have said that if anyone would like to contact Mihail for a set drop me a PM and I'll send you his email address.  He also sells them individually too and if you are left handed he will adapt both the tools and the box that they come in.  There's no skullduggery or secret to what he does; he just likes to keep his email address off of the internet due to Bots and scammers.

I know what your thinking - he's in Russia right  {-)   No he's legit and an amazing carver too  {-)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1019 on: February 19, 2021, 12:01:33 am »

This week's acquisitions include, but are not limited to a new furnace, a new a/c unit, a new water heater, a new electrical panel, and a new whole house humidifier.  amazingly, the credit card company didn't complain at all when that purchase hit my card. (a single 5 figure sum for all of the above installed by a single company with several sub-contracters)  all with a single 1 year warranty on labor, and a single 1-800 number to dial if i have any problems.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1020 on: February 19, 2021, 09:09:39 am »

Bought this second hand Kit on Ebay. Postie struggled a bit with the box .

[size=78%][/size][/size][size=78%]. [/size]
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1021 on: February 19, 2021, 09:22:24 am »

Hi Baldrick that would make a rather interesting model just like that!  Lots to look at! 

Likewise a stripped back model boat in a workshop would be most intriguing.
Nice picture anyway.
Regards
Roy

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1022 on: February 19, 2021, 09:46:05 am »

I bought an addition to my  Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station so i can upload the weather at my location . Download the free link Weathlink open a free account then the map and you will see what the conditions are check to see if there is a station near your favourite sailing pond if you have to travel a fair distance .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1023 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:29 pm »

Bought this second hand Kit on Ebay. Postie struggled a bit with the box .

[size=78%][/size][size=78%]. [/size]
Dont know why you bought this - you haven't even finished the other one on the right yet  ;D

is that a tall boy on the outskirt of the build area ?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1024 on: February 19, 2021, 12:07:30 pm »

Hi Baldrick that would make a rather interesting model just like that!  Lots to look at! 
Roy
For those who don't know, this is Just Jane at East Kirby during its winter restoration during it's 10 year rebuild to airworthy condition. This winter is the rear fuselages turn to check and repair any damage before rebuilding it ready for the new season.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 61   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.