Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267925 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1075 on: March 22, 2021, 07:00:53 pm »

Nice one Martin  :-))

Joe

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #1076 on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:30 am »

To use old RFC/RAF slang from the wars my job ‘bought’ it yesterday  <:(
The second time in less than 2 years my current posting will cease due to the Defence Review and I’ll need to prepare for the next position I’ll be allocated which is rather doubtful as to being something good. I’ve just spent an entire month getting to know the Hercs very intimately on Exercise in Scotland only to hear on my first day of stand down that they are being withdrawn by 2023. Doesn’t help that all the Pumas are going too and some Chinooks resulting in a mass posting of manpower for up to 3 to 4 Sqns in the space of two years. Nobody knows what will happen and where we will all go but I’ve got 18 months to try to plan my final years in the RAF.

On a positive note, I’ve bought some nice props from Prop Shop and got two weeks of pure modelling to do. So I’ll be content for now :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1077 on: March 23, 2021, 10:06:31 am »

Sorry to hear that Nick, it must be really frustrating for you. However, presumably they are going to need people to look after all the promised new drones and unmanned aircraft so there may be some opportunities opening up there. You are already familiar with building and managing crewless boats so how hard can it be?!

Good luck anyway.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1078 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:55 am »

Hi Nick, Collin makes a good point about making it known you are familiar with radio control etc.  It is a hard world out there at the moment, so get the CV out and give it a good massage!
Best regards for the future,

Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1079 on: March 23, 2021, 10:28:40 am »

Getting in on the ground floor of something new can really pay off sometimes. I ended up head of IT in my Local Government department purely on the basis of my experience playing with Sinclair Spectrum home computers. I had a head start as they started off buying two BBC Microcomputers and nobody knew anything about them. I never did have any formal IT training!

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2021, 10:44:50 am »

Hi both, I can fully agree with Colin, I got a part time job for 2 years in an Infant school running the teaching of IT mainly with Archimedes (BBC micro) computers.  They had just been playing with it having a well meaning mum doing it.  I got them standardised on printers and took over some of the expensive maintemnance they were paying for.
I kept separate notes on each childs progess all 160 of them.  When I did leave I was a casualty of cut-backs!  I had a lovely letter from the feeder Junior school on the improvement in IT ability of the children.  I also got to know all the local children and was accepted by their mums, it was very rewarding in that way.

You never know what is around the next corner!
Best regards
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1081 on: March 23, 2021, 10:45:49 am »

Thanks for the advice chaps

I’m currently in that grey area where I’m in the promotable bracket but with future planning the number of new sergeants will probably be reduced to allow for the reduced amount of squadrons. I really need to be promoted in the next tranche due in September, if that doesn’t happen I won’t get it by the time the Hercs retire and I’ll be at the bottom of the pile again whilst I learn another aircraft type which in turn messes up the assessments as I’m an experienced NCO but not on type! No promotion no signing on after 2025 which is my current engagement date. It’s all upsetting as I’m not the only one and by the time all the new equipment arrives I won’t be in the RAF because to extend my length of service I need to be a Sergeant.
I’ll be trying for all sorts of jobs and positions over the next 18 months to 2 years but didn’t expect to be doing this again so soon after Tornado was retired.
The military will be great again but not in my time in service unfortunately.
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1082 on: March 23, 2021, 10:59:47 am »

Just playing devil's advocate, but surely a lot of goundwork will be needed to prepare for the new equipment and they will need people who are technically savvy well in advance of it arriving so you could find that the rules may be changed or bent. In the meantime fingers crossed for your promotion in September.

If you do have to leave the RAF in 2025 I'd have thought that your technical skills would be marketable anyway.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1083 on: March 23, 2021, 11:33:10 am »

Hi Colin

I hope so but the military work in different ways depending on what rank and your length of service left. I might be lucky and get into a post on a new aircraft but from past experience I have reservations that will not be the case. I’m currently been in for 18 years with approx 3.5 years left of useful service left to the RAF (the last few months aren’t counted due to terminal leave and courses/handing kit back/etc. Essentially I have 18 months to 2 years of Herc service left (probably less) which leaves me around two years of service on a new type which the RAF may or may not allow me to do as they may consider it a waste of funds to train me on another aircraft for the little time left I’d have. It’s all annoying as your career isn’t always your own to plan. I knew a Corporal posted to my Tornado squadron in the last year of service and he couldn’t sign for work supervised as there was no school to train him and when the aircraft retired he wasn’t posted to another because he only had six months left in the RAF because they refused to sign him on. He worked for the SWO work party ending his career miserable and bored.
I’m starting to plan my next career as I have to assume the worst case scenario I’ve outlined above just in case as I can’t take anything for granted anymore.
I’ll have my engineering experience to fall back on but there will be plenty of redundant aircraft engineers around with the support in civvie street being removed for the aircraft being retired- one of my back up plans had already been lost because Marshall’s of Cambridge will have to make redundancies because they are the civvie company who maintain Hercules aircraft for the RAF.
Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1084 on: March 23, 2021, 03:11:57 pm »

Are there no opportunities for Tornado aircraft servicing / maintenance on civvy street?!   

The Bristol  - Avon and Somerset Police could certainly use a few.....  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1085 on: March 23, 2021, 03:23:41 pm »

Hi Martin

The only Tornado servicing is at BAe Warton near Preston which would mean leaving the RAF and moving to Lancashire for a job which might only last a couple of years as the only country that BAe service Tornados for is Saudi.
It’s ironic that the two places that a majority of the ex-Tornado engineers were posted to after the retirement of the Tonka are the two places having their aircraft retired too. The majority of the ex Tonka lads work on Hercs and Pumas so it’s doubly frustrating as we hoped we had years to go before it happened again.
I’ve got a few years to sort my career out just not as many as I had hoped. C’est la vie!

On a positive note my boat modelling is going well with my Mercandian President benefiting from the injection moulded cargo containers from Deans Marine. They look the part- Thank you Ron. :-))
Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1086 on: March 23, 2021, 03:38:21 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1087 on: March 23, 2021, 07:53:59 pm »

Fingers crossed for you Nick, lets hope we can chat about it over a glass of your dads (evil)sloe gin at Mayhem (whenever that may be)  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #1088 on: March 25, 2021, 08:18:31 am »

Saved up for a year and bought the Proxxon DH 460 saw cost £403. turned it on ran it for a few moment and the electric control box sparked. Never got a chance to put a piece of wood in it. Axminster tools were good and I returned it to them and got a refund. Been looking at the Dremel Roto Saw for sometime and bought this as a replacement. not used it much the blades are small and are the pin type. Looks like you may have to buy replacement dremel blades for it.

pic 1. Proxxon saw

pic 2  Dremel Moto saw

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1089 on: March 25, 2021, 10:14:28 am »

I have to wait until my birthday next week for my Moto Saw but a bit of research online indicates that alternative blades are available although I've no idea what quality they are. I'm hoping that I can manage with Dremel blades as I only expect to make fairly light use of the tool. There are three different types.

Colin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #1090 on: March 25, 2021, 11:39:55 am »

I have some of the smaller Proxxon tools which I like and was considering buying one of their scroll saws but they do seem overpriced - they do get good reviews though so you were unlucky there - obviously the Dremel won't be able to tackle the jobs that the bigger saws can. In the end I bought a Record SS16V which when I bought was about £120 and I reckon a bargain. It has variable speed and using quality blades (Olson) it does everything I need and has had lots of use.

Anyway been adding to the PermaGrit collection! Will be making a start on the windows soon and got these in readiness.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #1091 on: March 25, 2021, 11:48:39 am »

The blades come in 3 different sizes 6.7.10 teeth per cm had to use a magnifier and ruler to find out what blade was what size. Marked the size on them. Already broke one blade and they seem very small and flimsy. Quick change blade which I like. Still leaning towards my old Proxxon DS 223 although blade changing is a pain. I paid £109 plus free next day delivery from the link you put up earlier See it is cheaper on Amazon Also when the guard is down I find it hard to see the blade probably just me.   

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1092 on: March 25, 2021, 07:37:43 pm »

One red tea rose and 3 bluebonnet plants, for Mom's garden.   %)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1094 on: March 25, 2021, 09:08:56 pm »

Good find!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1095 on: March 26, 2021, 12:40:45 pm »

Good deal if you have Amazon Prime other wise there is £4.50 postage to add or buy 13 to get free postage useful looking clamp though.

Joe

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1096 on: March 26, 2021, 05:15:39 pm »

Seller has limited quantity to 9 per customer for some unknown reason but not by address. I ordered 6 then it only let me order another 3.

Wife wants some too so I tried to order another 9 but computer says NO.

So she ordered 9 herself  O0
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1097 on: March 26, 2021, 06:24:34 pm »

I've had some  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  Cheers Andy!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1098 on: March 26, 2021, 06:35:09 pm »

Seller has limited quantity to 9 per customer for some unknown reason but not by address. I ordered 6 then it only let me order another 3.

Wife wants some too so I tried to order another 9 but computer says NO.

So she ordered 9 herself  O0

A few facts of life - you will always pay tax; you need to work for what you want; you can NEVER have enough clamps  {-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1099 on: March 26, 2021, 06:44:32 pm »

Apart from the pictures of them in use I can see them reaching where some others will not because the handles get in the way.

For the wife she clamps here quilt making material to a measuring bench so they are perfect for her needs

:-))
ANDY
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 61   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.