Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267915 times)

RST

Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1200 on: May 11, 2021, 08:14:16 pm »

Yes klunk that goes back a while now. Wasn't happy with my build on the trawler so moved on (I have a spare set of moulds they did for me with thicker wheelhouse as first one was just a bit too thin), they supplied me just a hull also so I have a freelance harbour boat 95% done and also their huntsman about 85% done now also.  I can't convince them yet to do a small puffer hull like Sarik used to do.  That I would definitely manage start to finish!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1201 on: May 13, 2021, 07:16:08 pm »

I bought and fitted a Quooker tap this week. For the last three years we have used a redring hot tap that just has not cut the mustard.
I now have to sip my tea slowly as the Quooker dispenses at 100c minimum.

I found the cheapest UK seller which was a very significant amount below the £1150 RRP
Strangely it was shipped from Germany by DHL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eo0hc2hLRE

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1202 on: May 13, 2021, 09:56:17 pm »

Bought the KYMODELS mooring tug yesterday from Century UK via Ebay, arrived this afternoon. Good resin hull showing  slight traces of the surface ridges from an original 3D printed hull. The kit contains everything needed except for receiver speed controller and battery. Its going to be a quick build, have already fitted the running gear and started painting the hull.The orange topsides already sprayed and should get the black bottom done tomorrow.,
Jim

Dundee Model Boat club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1203 on: May 26, 2021, 03:50:49 pm »

I wanted to start building again ( after a long medical hiatus ) and wanted to start small, I settled on a Matchstick kit?!
I ordered the Matchmodeller Cabin Cruiser Matchstick Kit MM24 from Always Hobbies.

It arrived today, 2 days early..... but they sent the wrong kit.  >>:-(

I rang them up, a very politely explained the situation, there was a pause.... a sigh ... and he said:

"Please turn the box over sir, it's double sided."

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1204 on: May 26, 2021, 04:18:57 pm »

So Game Set and MATCH  to Aways Hobies   init.  %%

Joe

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1205 on: May 26, 2021, 05:14:10 pm »

{-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #1206 on: May 26, 2021, 07:45:20 pm »

Have you checked the end to see what's actually inside? Oh I know, a load of matchsticks  {-) {-) {-)
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1207 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:01 pm »

.... and they're not even matches you can strike!    {:-{

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1208 on: May 26, 2021, 10:42:31 pm »

Hi I have never understood matchstick models.

I suppose a matchstick bicycle could be considered as re-cycling.

Is it to show what you can do with a normally discarded item and make me feel embarrassed?  Do you attempt to hide the fact they are matchsticks with paint? 

But have the sticks in the kit ever been matchsticks anyway?  They do not have a blackened end so should they be called faux matchsticks?

I also worry if I should feel guilty having these opinions.
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1209 on: May 27, 2021, 12:38:59 am »

Good questions all ... we'll find oot!

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1210 on: May 27, 2021, 01:15:30 am »

Martin, how will this impact the build of the small r/c chinese tugboat/logger?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1211 on: May 27, 2021, 01:51:28 am »

Martin, how will this impact the build of the small r/c chinese tugboat/logger?

That just sitting here  .... gathering dust......  {:-{   <:(

I really like that kit but due to lack of motivation, despondency, health issues, Covid fears  &  other
life anxieties everything got put on hold. I hope I'm coming out of that now and just want something
simple to build & get videoing again. The matchbox kit ( and a couple of other ideas too! ) offers a 'single
material build', i.e.  Matchsticks & wood glue, it's easy to cut, shape, work with .... it's 'matchwood'!
Plus the kit was only £22 quid.

.... we shall see.   :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1212 on: May 27, 2021, 11:23:09 am »

Consider the options for the matchstick kit. You can always scale it up with a few hundred feet of 1" square and a chop-saw! %)

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #1213 on: May 27, 2021, 03:09:55 pm »

Not today as such but received on Tuesday from SLEC.......A Police launch kit, I remember seeing the original Veron kit many years ago in my the local model shop in Winchester and tried my hardest to save some pocket money but alas said pocket money ended up on sweets and eventually the ensuing tooth decay!
Just started doing some work on her today and impressed how it goes together, a little bit of sanding here and there but nothing too drastic. Already built the box section, keel is in place and getting ready to put the frames on the aforementioned box. Very sturdy construction with great written and pictorial instructions. Strange to be not having to build on a board as such with jigs etc. Really enjoying this one.

Last week I took delivery of a RoMarin (Krick) Najade and have been busy gathering the parts for the build (motor, electrics, running gear etc) and shall be doing some work on her whilst doing the police launch.......I like to make my life hard, but having two projects on the go gives me options and things to do between bits setting/drying.
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1214 on: May 27, 2021, 03:22:19 pm »

Speaking of SLEC  :-))

I bought another set of lasered deck skins for Boothbay lobster boat kit. Arrived today by dpd. Not opened package yet but I’m sure Chris will have done a good job.
Of course these are only available thanks to our late friend Dave Milbourn
Thank you Dave

SLEC also supplied the 5mm ply for my Mercantic  O0

ANDY

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #1215 on: May 28, 2021, 11:54:57 am »

Bought 2 packs (16) of these on EBay a lot cheaper than Hobbies and no postage. Hope the quality is there. Just arrived by post that was quick.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1216 on: May 28, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »

I just ordered Obechi planks for my Mercantic  from CMB an hour or so ago and they're marked as despatched already  O0   :-))
ANDY

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1217 on: May 28, 2021, 03:58:55 pm »

Yes, full marks to CMB for their dispatch turn round, they are impressive by any standard, but also the Royal mail office down there is right on the ball too
without doubt, they must have huge volumes from Cmb.
N.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1218 on: May 28, 2021, 04:43:40 pm »

Bought 2 packs (16) of these on EBay a lot cheaper than Hobbies and no postage. Hope the quality is there. Just arrived by post that was quick.

Got the same............strength of spring is a bit on the weak side but ok nonetheless!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #1219 on: May 28, 2021, 05:10:19 pm »

davejay Got these small ones as most of my big clamps don't get into some places. I've been using sprung loaded cloths pegs for years but now their strength has gone Cheers

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #1220 on: June 10, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »

:-) 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1221 on: June 10, 2021, 09:10:54 pm »

:o

RST

« Reply #1222 on: June 10, 2021, 09:44:56 pm »

...A new living room window. Some toerag threatened me, tried to batter my front door then put my front window in instead.  New glazing panel thankfully not the full window. Plus re-painting everything (great use of a birthday) and now nearly 400 quid lighter for the window plus about 150quid for IP cameras over the door and main windows in case he comes back. It's been an unnecessarily  expensive week or three!   Not covered under useless factored buildings insurance, and not much hope of an ID on the guy through police.  Not helping the supposed coming out of lockdown.   Ho hum.  Just hope he doesn't come back!!!

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1223 on: June 10, 2021, 11:53:18 pm »

...A new living room window. Some toerag threatened me, tried to batter my front door then put my front window in instead.  New glazing panel thankfully not the full window. Plus re-painting everything (great use of a birthday) and now nearly 400 quid lighter for the window plus about 150quid for IP cameras over the door and main windows in case he comes back. It's been an unnecessarily  expensive week or three!   Not covered under useless factored buildings insurance, and not much hope of an ID on the guy through police.  Not helping the supposed coming out of lockdown.   Ho hum.  Just hope he doesn't come back!!!

***Moderated***
Advocating gun violence, tongue in cheek or otherwise, is not appropriate on Mayhem

People like that should be put down.

Insurance companies are a rip off.

I'm saddened by your recent bad luck old chap and hope that the sun shines back in your world again very soon.

All the best,
Dave

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1224 on: June 11, 2021, 12:10:13 am »

I bought last friday via faceache a used Aerokits Sea Queen complete with a huge Overlander Thumper outrunner  a Mtroniks G2 50A esc, 12v 7ah SLA, futaba rudder servo and all in pretty good nick. The boat needs a strip down to remove the old paint from the hull but the cabin sides are in ok condition and just need a rub down.
The boat was originally owned by a member of the Warminster model boat club and I got it off a nice chap in Westbury (selling on behalf of the club) for £150.
Just going to do a cosmetic resto on her as she was/is painted with black on the hull and cabin roofs and white on the cabin sides with a unplanked varnished deck.
Inside shes in fairly good nick, just needs a clean and a quick respray.

I intend to finish her with a white below the waterline, aquamarine on the hull sides and cabin roofs, white cabin sides and a bare but varnished transom. Going to lay deck planks as well and some new but period fittings.

I'm still trying to figure out if shes an original 60's Sea Queen or a more recent modernised version. She has some hefty quarter inch bulkheads etc. She just seems to have some provenance.
What is throwing me is there is a badge on the home built bridge furniture which say 'Poole model yacht club 1950' stuck just below and to one side of the helm, Ok anyone could have stuck it on just as a momento but could it be an indication of its age.

If anyone knows of this boat from it days in the Warminster model boat club I would be very interested in its history/ownership/age.

As I said it is at the moment black and white (semi stripped - port side only) and is reminiscent of a killer whale......so much so that my wife called it Orca because of its colour and size..........didnt realise how big these boats are until youre up close and personal with it.

She already is a beauty and want to do her justice and get her looking vintage again.

Will post some before and after pics sometime soon (if I can work out how to get them on here!!!)

All the best,

Dave

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.