Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267855 times)

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1225 on: June 11, 2021, 03:27:21 am »

Hi Dave
I have a PDF copy of the original plans of L.J.Rowell's Aerokits Sea Queen if it helps ??

PM me with you email address and I can send it to you.

Harry Smith

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #1226 on: June 11, 2021, 05:32:01 pm »

Hi Dave
I have a PDF copy of the original plans of L.J.Rowell's Aerokits Sea Queen if it helps ??

PM me with you email address and I can send it to you.

Harry Smith
Hi Harry, thank you so much that would be a great help. I was trying to find out what the differences were if any between the original and the re-kitted version! PM sent
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1227 on: June 11, 2021, 07:05:00 pm »

...A new living room window. Some toerag threatened me, tried to batter my front door then put my front window in instead.  New glazing panel thankfully not the full window. Plus re-painting everything (great use of a birthday) and now nearly 400 quid lighter for the window plus about 150quid for IP cameras over the door and main windows in case he comes back. It's been an unnecessarily  expensive week or three!   Not covered under useless factored buildings insurance, and not much hope of an ID on the guy through police.  Not helping the supposed coming out of lockdown.   Ho hum.  Just hope he doesn't come back!!!
I'm saddened to read of your encounter my friend. Not a lot worse than antisocial behaviour and intimidation especially when left feeling let down by the plod. I hope you were just a random attack rather than a target and I'm sure your upgrades will help you rest easier to at least attain justice if a repeat occurs.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1228 on: June 24, 2021, 01:36:56 pm »

Just bought 2x 4.6 amp 7.2 Ni-Mh batteries from China for £23.49 including delivery, paid on the 6 June and arrived 22 June.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1229 on: June 27, 2021, 04:55:52 pm »

I bought last friday via faceache a used Aerokits Sea Queen complete with a huge Overlander Thumper outrunner  a Mtroniks G2 50A esc, 12v 7ah SLA, futaba rudder servo and all in pretty good nick. The boat needs a strip down to remove the old paint from the hull but the cabin sides are in ok condition and just need a rub down.
The boat was originally owned by a member of the Warminster model boat club and I got it off a nice chap in Westbury (selling on behalf of the club) for £150.
Just going to do a cosmetic resto on her as she was/is painted with black on the hull and cabin roofs and white on the cabin sides with a unplanked varnished deck.
Inside shes in fairly good nick, just needs a clean and a quick respray.

I intend to finish her with a white below the waterline, aquamarine on the hull sides and cabin roofs, white cabin sides and a bare but varnished transom. Going to lay deck planks as well and some new but period fittings.

I'm still trying to figure out if shes an original 60's Sea Queen or a more recent modernised version. She has some hefty quarter inch bulkheads etc. She just seems to have some provenance.
What is throwing me is there is a badge on the home built bridge furniture which say 'Poole model yacht club 1950' stuck just below and to one side of the helm, Ok anyone could have stuck it on just as a momento but could it be an indication of its age.

If anyone knows of this boat from it days in the Warminster model boat club I would be very interested in its history/ownership/age.

As I said it is at the moment black and white (semi stripped - port side only) and is reminiscent of a killer whale......so much so that my wife called it Orca because of its colour and size..........didnt realise how big these boats are until youre up close and personal with it.

She already is a beauty and want to do her justice and get her looking vintage again.

Will post some before and after pics sometime soon (if I can work out how to get them on here!!!)

All the best,

Dave

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1230 on: June 28, 2021, 04:46:50 pm »

Without a view of the inside but based on the pictures I would guess 70's . As you have said the badge is not an indication of age (as the club were mainly sail at the time). Great find, and when you get rid of the black paint it will be brilliant  :-))
Steamed up all the time

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1231 on: June 28, 2021, 07:08:51 pm »

Without a view of the inside but based on the pictures I would guess 70's . As you have said the badge is not an indication of age (as the club were mainly sail at the time). Great find, and when you get rid of the black paint it will be brilliant  :-))

Thank you for the feedback. I'm really hoping it would be late sixties-early seventies. Getting any boat back on the water with a new lease of life is satisfying but even more so when it has a bit of age with it.
I've added some pics of the inside if it helps. She is in the process of receiving the top coats of paint (a long process with prep,masking and drying times etc) and will get pictures on when she's close to being finished/finished (is a boat ever finished????)

Regards,

Dave

P.S The Mtroniks G2 esc has a rather large capacitor attached to it, I'm thinking it's a charge holder as per what capacitors do I guess.......a kind of get you home when the battery charge reduces. Wonder if anyone can confirm for me!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1232 on: June 28, 2021, 08:21:19 pm »

Nice looking boat at a great price.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1233 on: June 28, 2021, 08:42:27 pm »

There are greater minds than mine on here, just an observation (in my opion ) the boat was defo built late 70's early 80's, the electronics.....hay I am  steam chap...but you might wish to change it, the large capacitor I have not seen for ......well we will leave that....as I said greater minds..... V jealous of the the boat  :-)
Steamed up all the time

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1234 on: June 28, 2021, 09:45:24 pm »

Nice looking boat at a great price.

Thanks Dodes :-)

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #1235 on: June 29, 2021, 04:43:35 pm »

The capacitor is there to keep the voltage up when you apply full throttle at start-up e.g pulling a high amount of Amps, this causes a drop in voltage which can again cause the ESC to cut off due to the low voltage protecting set-up.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1236 on: June 30, 2021, 10:33:18 pm »

The capacitor is there to keep the voltage up when you apply full throttle at start-up e.g pulling a high amount of Amps, this causes a drop in voltage which can again cause the ESC to cut off due to the low voltage protecting set-up.

Hi Tica,
Thanks for your info about the capacitor, makes perfect sense now.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1237 on: June 30, 2021, 10:43:26 pm »

There are greater minds than mine on here, just an observation (in my opion ) the boat was defo built late 70's early 80's, the electronics.....hay I am  steam chap...but you might wish to change it, the large capacitor I have not seen for ......well we will leave that....as I said greater minds..... V jealous of the the boat  :-)
I don't think I'm ready for steam yet, would love to do a steam tug one day though so I wouldn't rule out becoming all steamed up!!
All the black has gone now, been stripped, resealed with dancing sealer, primed and is now receiving her colours and a lacquered top coat. Decks need varnishing. Just restoring the helm/cockpit by laying laminates of basswood over the original with a couple of enhancements to make her different but not over detailed, I think the Sea Queen deserves to be kept simple and not over done!
Will post some more pics very soon!

Thanks for the kind words and advice so far.

P.S late 70's would be a nice datestamp so to speak as it was about then I got in to modelling and about the same time that I saw a Veron Police launch in my local model shops window and tried to save to buy it but never did but now I have the SLEC one in the bench being worked on whilst doing the queen!

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1238 on: July 01, 2021, 10:37:14 am »

A new car battery as I forgot to maintain the running the engine regime  >>:-(
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1239 on: July 02, 2021, 12:58:35 am »

A new car battery as I forgot to maintain the running the engine regime  >>:-(

On the plus side, you NEEDED that battery.  Nothing worse than buying a new one and finding out it was something much cheaper that was causing electrical problems...

I just bought a DC Motor controller for my Taig lathe, the ancient furnace fan motor that was being used finally packed it in and I got a free DC motor from someone scrapping a scrollsaw.  Finally, variable control at the turn of a knob!
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1240 on: July 02, 2021, 11:02:09 am »

I suppose so, though the next day I bought a relatively cheap car battery charger from screwfix, at £15 will see how it performs, its currently trying to charge the old battery to see if it can be salvaged, the battery has about 10V when it was removed from the car last night it had under 14V, yet the charger says it is still not charged (green light comes on apparently - it does not have an ammeter to show) according to the Tinternet the battery should have no less than 12.6V

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1241 on: July 03, 2021, 07:20:31 pm »

Amazon
10 pack of fly twatters swats £6.99
Delivery tomorrow
ANDY

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1242 on: July 03, 2021, 10:40:10 pm »

Get one of these to check battery and or alternator just pop it in any time cars been idle for a couple of days. I only do  4or 5 mls a day with a couple of stops  battery sits around 12.7/8  if it drops to 12.5/6 do a 10 miler to12.5/6https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Alternator-Tester-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B00JXOG3CI

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1243 on: July 04, 2021, 10:48:00 am »

Lidl did one several months ago, but I was sticking to a running the engine regime so didn't think it worth it, I assume that the old battery is now charged and as it is not under load (i.e. running the car alarm) it should hold most of the charge for a while before needing top up.

The battery booster I have doesn't seem to do the job any more, in fact not sure, a halfords portable power pack, not sure if the charger has been swapped out for a different one as it never seems to get to full charge, will have to strip it down and check the battery inside

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1244 on: July 04, 2021, 11:16:11 am »

fly what - language timothy springs to mind  {-)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #1245 on: July 11, 2021, 12:26:05 pm »

Bought these on eBay what a state  they were in. Taped up and stapled dirty packaging And one blade out of the plastic  Well they're on return money back and postage. 

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1247 on: July 14, 2021, 10:10:11 pm »

Really good prices, but they scare me....(damn that old school mentality)  :o

Who knows... maybe I will ...... %)
Steamed up all the time

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1248 on: July 14, 2021, 10:30:18 pm »

After 4 solid years of use my Proxxon bench sander has developed sloppiness in the mitre slot.

I imagine a new front end might be nearly as costly as a new unit.

I'm looking at other models but to be honest this has been hammered day after day, my number one machine.

So I'm torn between buying the newer model of something else.

Such as this also sold by Axminster.  MarkT ????
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1249 on: July 15, 2021, 07:11:39 am »

Hi Andy I would take a drive to your nearest Axminster tools shop and speak to them. I’ve found them to have a good deal of knowledge on the tools that they sell. My Proxxon sander is nearing the end of its life but it’s been a great tool. If I replace it I’ll get one from Jim Byrnes regardless of the cost.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.