Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267878 times)

RST

Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1275 on: July 31, 2021, 07:36:27 pm »

Arrived today
I hope I won’t need to use it but could be someone’s lucky day

When I was much younger our office was suppsoedley the first one in Aberdeen to get an AED and I did the first training for it.  Supposedley idiot proof  (but noting better idiots keep turning up.  Why on earth would you get one though or is it for a club or work? I notice them on some random street corners now.  Sure I've seen some old phone boxes re-purposed for them at some point.

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1276 on: July 31, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »

Altruism
Paid for out of my stocks profits.
Where we travel so does it.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

RST

« Reply #1277 on: July 31, 2021, 11:38:27 pm »

I bought these used filing cabinets of a guy in Canberra. He’d got loads of different types. These were the best to suit the space under my work bench. I found some unused envelopes behind one of the drawers with Parliament, Ministry of Finance on the header. Really good quality too. Not bad for $25 each.

Jerry C.

Hi Jerry C,

Are you in UK or Australia?  You have Wales as a location but talk about AUS?  Are you stuck out there in lock-down's while all the disruption is on?  Some very nice tools passing by wherever but not sure why to get them shipped to AUS or back or vice versa if you say you are in Wales?

Is it cheaper for shipping, how will you get them back to Wales?  I'm a little bit stuck between Scotland and France, it must be a bit of a nigtmare to be stuck further out: Wales and Australia?

Rich

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1278 on: August 01, 2021, 12:16:34 am »

Hi Rich, we spend six months in Australia staying with our kids and six months in uk on our narrowboat cruising the canals and rivers. The idea is no more winters. Covid put the kybosh on that. We’ve been trapped here since May 2020, no flights, borders closed and a very slow rollout of vaccine. We arrived here in November 2019 straight into the bushfires which got so close to us that we had to evacuate to the coast. After that little lot we had the floods and hailstorms closely followed by covid. We’ve had our first jabs and have the second jabs next month. Two weeks after that we can return to our boat. This puts us right into UK winter so to get back on schedule we will have to stay on the boat for  a year. This is our second winter in Oz and they are bitterly cold. I’ve built a model steam launch here with a boiler and engine and GRP hull that I brought over with my hand baggage and over the last 9 months I’ve made a Stuart Twin Launch Engine. All recorded on Mayhem under “Steam l” if your interested. Engine made on a cheap Chinese lathe with a small milling attachment.tomorrow I start my third engine, a Stuart Twin Compound engine, which should be a lot easier   than the previous one because I’ll have a dedicated mill and a comprehensive set of tooling. Mail here is very slow so the mill, tools and casting kit are all shipped via TNT, expensive but at my age time has become too precious to waste. I have my bit of the big tin shed which is like a furnace in summer and a deep freeze in winter cos it’s too big to heat or cool!

Jerry C.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1279 on: August 06, 2021, 07:35:54 am »

I've ordered a JB  :-)   thanks Mark, exchange rate is not bad just now. Awaiting shipping cost

Currently mid Atlantic on a UPS jet bound for Stansted.

Just noticed that the Proxxon is at an all time low from Amazon EU on prime for £134 delivered.
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1280 on: August 06, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »

I've got proper tool envy  {-)   I think I may need to order one and complete the set...........I'll see what the wife says

Sless

• Shipmate
  • Come in number 9, number 6 are you in trouble!
« Reply #1281 on: August 09, 2021, 07:31:56 am »

Bought Einhell bandsaw from Machinemart and had it collected by a friend, man I shop asked if a spare blade was required. My friend replied with “certainly not as he is very experienced with tools of all types”.
The fool! Should have bought TWO spare blades😃
First outing using a bandsaw and wish I had bought one thirty years years ago!

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #1282 on: August 26, 2021, 10:49:27 am »

Hi All
I traded two kits (Aeronauts Classic Speed boat and the Diva) for this semi finished 36" Thames River Police Boat !!!

A few bits of paint to touch up and add motor, ESC, Servo, battery and radio !!
Already for the water in one day.

All the other fittings to be added later.

Canabus 

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1283 on: August 26, 2021, 12:02:42 pm »

In the 1960s I was rescued by the Police Launch “Benfleet” off Greys, Essex.  I was sailing my Redwing dinghy and took four knockdowns in a series of massive squalls. They towed the boat and us back to HMS Worcester’s jetty. Donations to Police Benevolent Society followed.

Jerry C. 

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1284 on: August 26, 2021, 12:15:50 pm »

Hi Jerry C

This one is getting named "Paddy Wagon" !!!

Because our local Police Station which my son in law worked at was sold and is an Irish Pub !!!

THE PADDY WAGON !!!!

Canabus

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1285 on: August 26, 2021, 12:41:07 pm »

Where are you in Tassie? I had some great times there in early 70s. Went to Launceston to load apples on the Tamar River and Hobart.
Currently languishing in Queanbeyan NSW under lockdown.

Jerry C.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1286 on: August 26, 2021, 12:52:49 pm »

Hi Jerry

Goodwood over looking the Incat Ferry site at Prince of Wales Bay.

We had one lockdown about May last year, we did not like it so do not want another one.

It did not stop me building more boats.

Harry

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1287 on: August 26, 2021, 04:10:41 pm »

Just received a Futaba T6K set ,brand new in box (even to the latest software update) for less than half of the shop price in my local model emporium.  Don't know why the owner was selling, but too good to miss, courtesy of Ebay.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1288 on: August 26, 2021, 07:12:38 pm »

Boring day, just bought another large bag of chicken feed, we only have 2 (chickens that is), but it appears we are also feeding every sparrow in Normandy....
Tomorrow is my best day as my drill sharpener will arrive, very exciting as (shock and horror) you can only get metric drills over here (if only I had known before I moved) as I use letter, number and fraction drills ( Jerry C will know the problem---steam section) and can't get back for the model shows to replace the blunt ones....details to follow of how good the machine works i  :-))
Steamed up all the time

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1289 on: August 26, 2021, 07:34:34 pm »

Whilst I am progressing my builds (after a few years out the game) I managed bag myself a Slipway Meander (sister to Dutch Courage), needs a refit internally but a sterling build, credit to the builder who worked with the owner to ensure it was built as per real vessel..

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1290 on: August 26, 2021, 07:43:56 pm »

👌😎
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1291 on: August 26, 2021, 11:48:30 pm »

No chickens down here Phil, however I did yield to parting with $29.95 @ Bunnings for this......OZItO multi sharpener a few weeks ago

It has a single 50mm diameter diamond chunk embedded pressed profile wheel  <*<

Very aggressive and difficult to get a very smooth surface on a 1/4 wide wood chisel [definitely requires a light lick on a lap stone to clear the wafer edge created]......, but RAZOR sharp radial cutting land faces of the drill flutes

I have only used it on a 2.5 mm diameter P&N Blue twist drill..........amazing semi rotary motion ensures both drill lands are of equal length  :-))

[This was the difficulty I was experiencing creating over sized tapping drill holes for M3]

Any smaller diameter blunt drills into the bin........

[although I have saved a few 2.0 diameter drill shanks making 2.0 diameter x 10 long jig pins O0  ]

Let us know your experiences with your new purchase  %)

Derek

[PS....it appears a BLUE plastic bodied look a like version is on-line fo $99.99......same 65W specification...looks like from the same injection mould dies]

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1292 on: August 26, 2021, 11:55:07 pm »

Replying to Phil. I bought a full set of number and letter drills from screwfix years ago for £20. Problem is they’re in the UK where I know they’ll never be used. In Oz I’m managing with an imperial/ metric mix which gets me by, just. Yesterday I needed a 3.7mm drill as clearance for 7BA for valve chest cover holes. 3.5 and 4mm I’ve got. One too tight, tother to sloppy. Time for reaming with a rat tail file. It just takes a while.

Jerry C.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1293 on: August 27, 2021, 07:49:15 am »

Meander!  That's an interesting name, is it another version of His and Hers?
Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1294 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:03 am »

Is the Meander hull the stock M/S Dutch power hull?
The 1:1 Meander is 2 Metres longer than Dutch Power.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1295 on: August 27, 2021, 11:35:34 pm »

I've ordered a Kerne/Terrior  today from Mountfleet, I like the history behind this small Tug so thought I'd have a

go  https://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/product/steam-tug-kerne-hmt-terrier/

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1296 on: August 30, 2021, 08:48:20 pm »

I decided it’s time to replace our now quite old Humax Freesat box.
Freesat now do their own branded units and I bought the 1tb box.
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1297 on: August 30, 2021, 10:11:00 pm »

Finally managed to get a rattle on the car sorted...

Just how many times does it take to get a garage to fix anything on a car these days!

• Full service -plus fix 1 rumble 1 rattle whatever it costs:  Handed back with rumble
  • After suspension springs broke on A9 (thanks BEAR scotland / Perth Council):  Springs fixed but needing rattle sorted since the springs were fitted.  Garage booked into had no facility to jack car-up (they knew that so just wasted 2 hours but they accepted the job).  Advised it might be loose brake shield, couldn't fix it
  • Fix a ball joint:  Fed up of getting it back with advisories on ball joint.  3rd time again asking garage to fix but they gave me it back UNFIXED.  It's a £15 part for flip sake!  Why didn't you replace the brake shield also when I specifically asked for it to be done as it was known to go soon!
  • MOT plus rumble and rattle:  Headlight out of alignment fixed FoC as a "favour" rather than fail:  Didn't look for anything else, ignored the rattle -same garage that didn't fix the brake dust shield they were supposed to do
  • Rattle so bad car was off the road, it was either a brake dust shield or the bottom half of the car dragging along the road

...finally got it into a decent garage last week.  Dust shield broken off and rattling round loose!  Cheap and quick fix as parts were available instantly.  JUST DONT UNDERSTAND why it takes so much hassle to get some places to get things fixed !  Unfortunately this garage were closed last year due to co-vid and I've spent allot of time out of town since.  BUT that was £150'odd quid last week I was very glad to spend!!

....left with a deep rumble again but that is manageable to try and track it down.  If I get another advisory on steering column I'm just going to flip out as I've been trying to get it fixed for over a year!  And oh -the garage that did my 12 month full service, turned out they only changed oil so I'll have to look into that again and get it done properly with the other filters and checks done as I don't do my own servicing now.

I'm not spending on models recently, plenty of other things to catch-up on.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1298 on: August 31, 2021, 09:59:15 am »

I have an old 1999 mazda 626, bought when 3 years old in 2002, I have used a local garage since then, for its tenth birthday with me, I took it to a dealership and regretted it ever since, never again, back to the trusty local.

With cars getting more complex and the latest efforts by the government to rid of petrol and diesels, I am looking at in the next year or so replacing it with a NEW car, there is a problem though, hybrid or full electric, how expensive is it going to be, my trusty local garage might not be able to service it, so repairs are going to be exorbitant.

Strangest thing though, last week the postie knocked and delivered a parcel and I mentioned that the car parked outside a neighbors was mine and if he had parcels for no responses I would see they get them, not long after, about half an hour later, a young indian women knocked on the door, and asked in a very excited voice if I wanted to sell my car for £500 (the 2 posties that deliver to us are really friendly indian chaps), me being me and reluctant at the best of time to get rid of something that isn't broke said it won't be for a couple of years and I didn't take her phone number.

I asked the one that had called with the parcel and he didn't know the lady, so maybe just a coincidence.  {-) [size=78%] [/size]
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1299 on: August 31, 2021, 11:05:08 am »

....left with a deep rumble again but that is manageable to try and track it down.  If I get another advisory on steering column I'm just going to flip out as I've been trying to get it fixed for over a year!  And oh -the garage that did my 12 month full service, turned out they only changed oil so I'll have to look into that again and get it done properly with the other filters and checks done as I don't do my own servicing now.

A "rumble" sounds like a wheel bearing going out. Try and fine a quite road with a hill on it and roll the car down it out of gear, if you still hear the "rumble" then I would suspect that is the cause; if you have a diff i.e. rear wheel drive, then that moght be the problem as well. Have fun!

LB

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.