Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: What have you bought this week?  (Read 267793 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: What have you bought this week?
« Reply #1350 on: October 21, 2021, 06:29:19 pm »

Could be a number of reasons Dave for Wonderland being possibly £40/£50 more expensive
A.  They may not be an importer and they may have got their stock through Amerang trading who were the sole UK distributor.
Cornwall and model shop Leeds are both importers and distributors in their own right now so there’s no middle man.
B. May just be aware that they’re like hens teeth at the present and taking advantage.
I’m sure you agree it’s worth the extra to get it now and who knows what the new stock might cost
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #1351 on: October 21, 2021, 06:43:04 pm »

Couldn't agree more - and I voted with my wallet. I like dealing with Howes, I know the people there and they know me. As a child in Oxford in the 1960s, I would save my pocket money and spend it all on Airfix and similar kits in Howes. When I returned to the area 10 or 12 years ago, I was delighted to find they were still around, and that I had a bit more pocket money than I used to have! If they had had the model in stock, I'd have driven over and picked one up, but they were unable to say when they would be getting more stock. The mentioned that they had to get them through Amerang.

Thanks again for finding that one at Wonderland, I had no luck with my searches at all.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1352 on: October 21, 2021, 06:45:47 pm »

They'd do better getting them through CMB or MSL, perhaps Howes don't know these are now importers ? or get their own account with Billing.
ANDY

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1353 on: October 21, 2021, 06:49:30 pm »

I'll have a word with the boss there next time I drop in. He's pretty smart, so I suspect there be other reasons for sticking with Amerang.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1354 on: October 21, 2021, 06:57:18 pm »

Do you build these boats for the pleasure of building or for sailing? They are quite small at 56cm.
I like building small boats but they usually need calm waters for best sailing do you think?
N

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2021, 07:02:27 pm »

Mine has only been in the bath and the SEA  {-)
Not had her on a pond yet.
A real pleasure to build.

Plank on frame is like Marmite
ANDY

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2021, 07:05:26 pm »

Both - I have a Boulogne Etaples that I was offered a couple of years ago, built (very well) some 30 years ago by a modeller no longer with us. I have sailed it at our club water in Oxford several times, but would rather be sailing one I have made myself. I wouldn't be so interested in buying and building one if I wasn't happy with the designs appearance on the water, though.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2021, 08:15:51 pm »

I'll have a word with the boss there next time I drop in. He's pretty smart, so I suspect there be other reasons for sticking with Amerang.
I was informed recently by Scoonie Hobbies that Amerang have dropped Billings as they were unable to get any stock from them and they weren't replying to queries.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1358 on: October 21, 2021, 08:19:24 pm »

That would certainly explain the current shortages. First it was the toilet rolls, then the petrol, but now it's serious!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1359 on: October 21, 2021, 11:57:16 pm »

Recently finished bottle of Dalwhinnie mentioned earlier. Very pleasant and compelling  to say the least!
 N.
Well worth the annual membership of Amazon prime with free delivery.
Currently £24.45. RRP near £40  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015HFT0QC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
ANDY

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1360 on: October 23, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »

Bought a new spraying booth, erected and painted today  :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1361 on: October 27, 2021, 08:51:43 pm »

Nice job Russell  8) 

Heidsieck Monopole blue top is usually £28 per 75cl
Tonight its £20 at Sainsbury's online but 25% off if you buy 6
So 6 bottles inc £2 delivery Saturday night equals £15.33 each

Xmas and new year around the corner  :-))
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1362 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:57 pm »

A new profile gauge.   My first one I've had for almost 20 years, second one a year or two.  Now I've ordered a replacement from screwfix, I imagine when I get back from collecting I'll be tidying the detrius made looking for the first 2 the past week -and I'll now have three but they will all be stolen by the trolls under the bed again as soon as I've used it.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-polypropylene-ruler-9-250mm/697ft

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1363 on: October 27, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »

I bought another Zenith carburettor to scavenge the best parts from the pair then sell the lesser resulting one on  :} 
Old stuff is getting dearer by the week it seems
ANDY

RST

« Reply #1364 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:08 pm »

I was informed recently by Scoonie Hobbies that Amerang have dropped Billings as they were unable to get any stock from them and they weren't replying to queries.
Jim

...could be worse, a shop told me a few weeks ago the manufacturers in Norway weren't making much more kits.  Seemed to be news that Billings were a Danish company.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1365 on: October 27, 2021, 09:32:06 pm »

Even if they were Norwegian  {-)  it’s fake news  O0  from who that was

Latest announcement from Billing boats this week
Hello modelsbuilders!  Recently we have finished production of some models that have been in backorder for quite some time : 606 Colin Archer, 608 Andrea Gail, 910 Torborg, 534 Boulogne Etaples, 201 Rainbow, 492 Bounty, 726 Andrea Gail, 302 Mini Oseberg and 5005 Danmark.”
ANDY

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1366 on: October 27, 2021, 09:37:56 pm »

Somone told me last week that they were having trouble getting Billings kits from Norway. Mind you, having spent many years living in Finland, I am used to the fact most people seem to think that the entire Nordic block is all one and the same. I once spent an evening trying to convince a bunch of Norwegian modellers that I wasn't Swedish, despite the fact that I was speaking English like the native I am and had arrived in Trondheim in a car with Finnish plates. It is possible that the local moonshine wasn't helping!

RST

« Reply #1367 on: October 27, 2021, 09:53:50 pm »

Somone told me last week that they were having trouble getting Billings kits from Norway. Mind you, having spent many years living in Finland, I am used to the fact most people seem to think that the entire Nordic block is all one and the same. I once spent an evening trying to convince a bunch of Norwegian modellers that I wasn't Swedish, despite the fact that I was speaking English like the native I am and had arrived in Trondheim in a car with Finnish plates. It is possible that the local moonshine wasn't helping!

Having spent almost 8 months working in Pori I can understand the Finlanders fascination with anything outside the country as they are not used to seeing it.  Maybe we were just a local phenomenon.  We were loved and hated at the same time in Pori!

...Oh, other thing I have been trying to spend the last few weeks is Republique Francaise -I owe them some residential and TV tax I never knew about for my old apartment in Guyancourt but can't seem to pay them for want of trying!

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1368 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56:14 pm »

Well, Pori, that's almost Sweden, hardly counts as Finland at all unless the Jazz Festival is on, then it's 100% Finnish!

RST

« Reply #1369 on: October 27, 2021, 10:15:44 pm »

Ha, funny enough we took the party boat / ferry to Sweeden as we couldn't sail out on out the vessel as the yard couldn't finish the job so we had the vessel towed out and we joined in Copenhagen.  It was probably one of the few times the disco was playing hard but not enough people to warrant the bar stays open as it was mid-week.  Very interesting to be in a ship cutting through ice at speed though.  It was that record bad winter in 2010 -we all knew about the jazz festival in summer but all we had was hard core death metal and eternal rockabilly in the autumn / winter / spring we were there.  It's a shame I don't recommend Finland based on that -it was a difficult place and a difficult winter.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1370 on: October 28, 2021, 08:16:31 am »

I remember that winter - had to cancel my flight back to England for Christmas because of the snow at Heathrow - which amused the Finns! I was mainly playing blues with people in Finland, but death metal, rockabilly and Finnish tango seemed to be the most popular forms of music there. I used the Turku-Stockholm ferry a few times when I rode my (motor) bike back to the UK. Riding Stockholm to the other side of Copenhagen after a night on the ferry with a bunch of hard drinking Russian bikers was not the best part of the trip!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1371 on: October 28, 2021, 10:02:37 am »

Hi Russel, I would like to suggest that you put rain gutters on your splendid workshop.  The reason is that after a few years you wll see that rain drops bounce up and rot the lower planks. 

That was my experience but I am sure there are other solutions!  My workshop is 28 years old now I have moved it once in that time, this time I ignored putting back the guttering so had to put some old lino skirts around it when the rain got to it which it had not before.
Regards
Roy

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1372 on: October 28, 2021, 06:04:19 pm »

Hi Roy

Yes it will have guttering fitted when I have all the new guttering on the house soon,  On the list of many things to do 👍

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1373 on: October 29, 2021, 09:50:08 am »

Can recommend the Aluminium roll formed gutters, might be more expensive but a single length is better than bits of plastic and joints.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RST

« Reply #1374 on: October 30, 2021, 02:08:20 am »

600 quid on smoke alarms!

My Mother wanted to be fully compliant with new Scottish rules so that's at least 3 within almost touching distance in the same place she already had a working and tested alarm in her small bungalow but now fully compliant with jimmiy kankie rules set for high-rise flats based on cladding in England.

By rights, to comply with insurance I have to do the same so second half of that is for me.  Again the same for my flat but don't need a professional to fit as they are battery powered so I'll collect them from her house as I couldn't find a retailer for love nor money who had any Scottish compliant alarms in stock for 6 months or more.  I don't like this kind of out-right mandate, it's completely unjustified but can't be bothered arguing if there's any insurance claim or we wish to sell the properties in future.

I've not heard the alarms since but just hoping the Scottish compliant ones don't play babgpipes as there was nothing wrong with the alarms we had apart from the rules changed!!!.  If my alarms come out the box without  wrapped in tartan printed tissue paper I will feel truly cheated.

Rich

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.