Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: INVINCIBLE Too!  (Read 40583 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: INVINCIBLE Too!
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2019, 10:13:17 pm »

Awesome detailing Geoff.  As you know I am a big fan of detail  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2019, 02:18:07 pm »

No real progress to report. I have been building the forward breakwater and a good number of mushroom ventialtors to fit on the edge of the ship. I may have a go at detailing the funnels this weekend - caps and rigging etc - one problem is how do I make 30 1/16" pulleys or smaller if I can because 1/16" equals 6 inches at this scale. They are needed for the funnels or do I simulate them with very small beads?

I have also tried to make the anti torpedo nets with a fine grey net from a haberdashery shop. Its perfect but a bot stretchy so its hard to keep a nice tight curve. I wrap is spirally round a thin metal rod and then tie each end and spiral wrap with thread in the opposite direction then slide out the rod - sounds easy but you really need four hands!

Okay a question - satin or matt varnish for the decks?

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07:52 pm »

I have been experimenting making small blocks with coiled brass rod and glue. The benefit of this is that you can incorporate hooks and eyes into the piece making it stronger.

Just loop the rod around round nose pliers leaving a few centimetres either side to make the eyes, hooks or even lengths of rod to represent lengths of cable perhaps with another loop on the end followed by a hook for lifeboats. Then dab glue in the hole, paint or detail if you are going that step further and there you have it.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2019, 02:12:45 pm »

I purchased some excellent stanchions from Cornwall Model Boats RB 074113 they are 11mm high turned brass three ball stanchions. They are superbly crafted with three holes and because they are machined they are not flat like some photo etched fiittings but round. They are perfect for 1/96 scale and do not look at all heavy and in fact are as fine as photo etched. I purchased 200 and may need a few more!

I have spray painted them and intend to use "Beadalon" jewellery wire - this is 7 strand but only 0.3 mm in diameter so readily fits and looks exactly like wire rope, because it is wire rope! (There are various sizes and thicknesses on Amazon and its not too expensive).Its also coated to stop any tarnishing so should be ideal on a model so no rusting.

My original plan was to fix the stanchions and then thread them but I don't think I can get all the holes in alignment so will just thread them off the ship and install them in sections moving the wire along as needed as this will keep them all in the same plane.

Next step is to varnish the deck - I'm going to go for matt 50/50 thinned for a couple of coats and see how it all comes out.

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2019, 10:21:02 pm »

I do admire a perfectionist Geoff.  For a ship of that size most of us would have opted for etched stanchions and brass wire.  Going for turned three hole stanchions at 38 pence each puts a major dent in the budget, but with the wire rope will give the ultimate appearance.  I doff my cap to you Sir  :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »

Cost all depends on where you make other savings. My two main engines are from a Talbot Horizon dash blower motor. Cost £5 each (alright it was a long time ago but they were cheap even then) so this gives me funds to spend on other areas.

Before I matt varnished the deck I put in all the butt joints using a 3mm wide chisel pressing down to part cut each plank. I have gone for a three butt deck (means the plank ends don't align for a 4 clear plank widths. It was very hard to concentrate and not screw it up. I used a three inch plank marked into 4 parts as a guide. It actually took about 4 hours to mark all the planks.

The first coat of matt varnish thinned 50% with white spirit and disaster as it seemed as all the butts really showed up far more than intended. However as the varnish dried/evaporated it was clear it was an excess of varnish in the butts which gave the effect. Once dry the subtle effect returned much to my relief. The varnish also brought up the grain which was anticipated and my sooper smooth deck became rough! Light sanding followed by another coat of slightly thicker mix, followed by light sanding and another coat (total three so far). I probably have one more thin coat to do followed by light sanding and a clean.

I have also been building the starfish for the masts and putting the rigging on the funnels. Building 1.5mm blockes eluded me so in the end I used minature eyelets and just threaded the wire rope through. (using Beadalon - 7 strand wire rope for jewellery work).

I'll try to post some pictures but I'm not sure how well it will show.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2019, 10:55:16 pm »

Do you glue or solder the beadalon wire Geoff? I was not sure if the coating was tinning or a polymer. I bought some half hard brass wire for the Monitor and Ready, and it is too springy. I have been considering other materials and the Beadalon sounds intriguing.

Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2019, 08:21:05 am »

Its a polymer coating so you can't solder it but its so thin you can't really see it. After tensioning the lines I use a small drop of superglue which is drawn in by capillary action at each end so virtually the whole length is free to allow for differential expansion.

Be sure to get the multi strand jewellery thread as the jewellery wire is solid. The thread can be got in different thicknesses and the most flexible is 14 strands but in practice I find the 7 strands perfectly adequate. Its very flexible but you can bend it or kink it but you can also straighten it. You can get it in "bright" or "satin" finish - either are good and not too shiny. There are other manufacturers makes as well and the price does vary a lot on Amazon.

For joints at the ends I use "crimps" from a fishing shop as they are very small diameter copper tube and if cut in half you make them even smaller. As an alternative rather than crimp I just slide them on with a spot of superglue which works well.

Its a nice source of different thicknesses of thin wire rope!

perfect for our models

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2019, 09:46:46 pm »

Thanks Geoff. That is going on my shopping list in the near future.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »

Making progress and I'll post some picture updates. In the meantime I have been making coal winches and boat winches per the attached.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:05 pm »

Lovely work Geoff. Are they a mix of brass and plastic or just well painted plastic?
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2019, 08:15:10 am »

They are a mixture of brass and plastic. Brass being the central barrel with the turned ends and the rest in plastic card. The larger ones used a small brass wood screw for the pinion and plastic gears which came from the spares box. The bras was satin varnished to add some visual interest to the model.

Some of the future fittings will be in brass and paint to the same style.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2019, 01:50:01 pm »

Finally some progress albeit at this stage she is a large spounge and just absorbes all the detail I can make without seeming to change too much.

I have a question - should I look to put white funnel bands on - one on each funnel. These were painted out in 1914 so I would be correct either way. I've left it a bit late and it will be awkward to do but any opinions please?

Hope the pictures are of interest.

Cheers

Geoff

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2019, 11:02:58 pm »

Hi Geoff ... she's looking lovely! The boats on her will add that extra pizzazz!

Funnel bands? I wouldn't bother. She's gorgeous without 'em!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2019, 10:25:57 am »

Mmm it’s a bit a dilemma as I know you like to get it right- it’s an awful about of masking if you wanted to paint them. The only alternative I can think of is to use some vinyl tape like the trim tape you used for the brass strips on the superstructure decks.
However she’s looking the part - I need to start to catch up! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2019, 01:39:06 pm »

What I find frustrating at this stage is that I have spent a lot of time and effort in making bits and then it just doesn't look too different. In fact it all looks a bit sparce in the pictures! Yes vinyl strip is what I was considering for the funnel bands. Maybe I'll try the middle funnel first to see how it goes as I can always peel it off.

Cheers

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2019, 04:14:21 pm »

Geoff, I think you might find problems in getting the vinyl to conform to the vertical ribs/pipes on the funnels. It won't want to stick snugly in the corners and you will curse it!

I don't think it really matters to the appearance whether the stripes are there or not myself, both appearances look good.

I'm not altogether surprised that you think the model looks a bit sparse. The design was quite stark compared with the fussier pamphernalia scattered around earlier ships. What will make a big difference is when you fit the ships boats as they will introduce more colour and texture to the model and bring it to life.

Colin

RST

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2019, 06:32:47 pm »

How wide are the white funnel bands? There's lining strips the model railways guys use -waterslide decals which work well if procedure is followed properly. You can also buy a sheet of DIY waterslide decal printer paper and just slice into strips /shapes. Again just follow the instructions but don't do the inkjet printer bit.  Not sure if that helps.  Details so far look good to me anyway!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2019, 06:45:19 pm »

The usual issue is that you have got it looking good and then you decide to 'improve' it and give yourself a world of grief.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:48 pm »

I would leave it until her first refit, and then get the tape and paint out. Enjoy sailing and using her turrets for the time being.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:53 pm »

Okay, not much progress but I did go for the white funnel bands, They are 5mm self adhesive vinyl tape for model trim and it wasn't too bad. I did a test piece to see if was even possible to get the tape under the guys and it worked okay. Took me about an hour and a half to do all three funnels and I'm pleased by the result.

At the moment I'm working on the removable bridge wings which have to be supported by poles and struts and rigging so is quite complicated to set up. The more I look at it the more bits I have to make. I spend an hour or so drilling four small holes in the forward tripod mast for the supports and inserting small eyelets.

As before its just a large sponge absorbing detail without any apparent progress!

I'll post some pictures soon.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:06 pm »

Good oh! Yes, detail just seems endless until it just seems done and then you think, where did all that work and time go to get here!

Good luck with the wings.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2019, 01:48:39 pm »

Whilst time has gone by I still don't really have anything to show for it as she just absorbs time and detail at this stage. One bit of modelers license is the main mast. It has a large boat boom fitted which is fine but I cannot find out where the rope lines finish up. On Invincible there is a raised boat deck grating where the steam launches fit. Below this is where some of the 4" guns reside including two large boat winches. These are set at an angle but I cannot see how the rope gets from them to the boat boom.

So, If the wire rope comes down from near the top of the tripod (which it does) where does it go - so I have fitted two vertical pulleys to the funnel end of the boat deck grating near the centerline and outboard two horizontal pulleys at the same level which in turn lead to two rollers which in turn lead to each of the winches, so the wire rope, comes down does a right angle outwards then another right angle stern-wards (at an angle) to a roller fixed beneath the boat deck grating and then downwards at an angle to the winch itself. This all seems logical but I can't verify the accuracy from either the original drawings or any pictures I have.

By keeping the wire rope above the crews heads it means they won't trip over it so there seems to be some logic.

Before I make all this permanent does anybody have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2019, 02:46:55 pm »

Geoff,

If you haven't already done so, check out Norman Ough's drawings and models. There is a drawing Ref: O/D/6 titled 'Main Derrick, Capital Ships'. The accompanying text from Roach's book refers to how it was rigged and operated. The technique didn't change much from Victorian times up until the KGV class of the 1930s according to Ough's text.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WYUTDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=norman+ough+main+derrick&source=bl&ots=BkjB2AfKjr&sig=ACfU3U1AKMYD-_QwiO0DPWsMmAJDwbtw7Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZxKPGlr_lAhXjThUIHQy8BrEQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=norman%20ough%20main%20derrick&f=false

This model of Queen Elizabeth, currently in No 1 Smithery at Chatham, was built by Ough and appears to show how the main derrick was rigged.

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/67373.html

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2019, 09:45:08 pm »

Hi Geoff

Found the image which may help- it’s what Colin has recommended from my copy of The Life and Ship Models of Norman Ough page 87.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.