Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: INVINCIBLE Too!  (Read 40592 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: INVINCIBLE Too!
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »

Thank you for the image - very interesting, but unfortunately whilst very clear as to the rigging it doesn't shed a lot of light on where it goes at deck level, how its tied off and to what points - i.e. the moving rigging and not the standing rigging.

As before I may need to use some modelling license but thank you for posting the image!

Cheers

Geoff

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2019, 07:51:19 am »

What about figure 8 ? oops sorry thats the standing rigging, the moving rigging looks like it connects to a box or winch at the base of the mast.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2020, 01:26:12 pm »

Okay, some further progress but also one large step backwards!

I have been building the three steam pinnaces for Invincible and used the plans from "The Anatomy of the Ship - Dreadnought" as the boats are drawn to 1/96 scale.

All was okay until I went to fix the outer pinnaces on the aft flying deck. Once fitted there wasn't room for the inner two boats. Much checking of measurements ensured and on checking the pinnaces shown on the Sambrook plans and the "Original Plans" (Battlecrusiers by Roberts) showed they are actually much slimmer than those shown in Dreadnought!

Further checking shows that the Dreadnought ones are 11 feet wide and the Invincible ones are 9 feet wide. All this adds up to 1/2 inch less width between the outer boats.

There is a surviving 50 foot steam pinnace at Portsmouth and the web gives dimensions as 50 feet long buy 9 feet wide. Interestingly the specific pinnace was actually mounted on Inflexible (Invincible's sister) for a period of time so I think that confirms the authenticity and measurements.

I can only conclude the Dreadnought plans are either inaccurate or perhaps were distorted during printing giving a wider beam.

Basically the three steam pinnaces are now junk and have to be completely re-made. Measure three times and check all available sources before cutting!!! >:-o

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2020, 01:44:37 pm »

On the positive side, you've gained more invaluable experience in the building of the 'scrap' pinnaces and this should make the replacements more of a pleasure to build  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:23 pm »

Okay some pictures if I can figure out how to re-size them - different software!

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »

It works, so more pictures. I must admit making and fixing the aft boats and boat deck has taken absolutely ages.

Note the brass pulleys on the mainmast and that one of the steam launches has its doors open!

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:17 pm »

Two more. This time the bow area and the guns on the midships turrets - I have two more guns to add.

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2020, 02:10:14 pm »

Fantastic work Geoff

I’m slowly catching up with you now I’m dedicating Sunday mornings to progress my version.
Glad you’ve sorted out your ships boats on the aft superstructure, I’ve just finished my forward superstructure boats and got the aft ones to look forward to!
Good to see your work again :-))

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2020, 01:49:16 pm »

If you need to make oars, as there is a surprising number of them needed (circa 60) may I suggest you use plastic rod (0.88mm) and squeeze 13rd in a smooth jaw vice. It only takes a few seconds to make an oar. It takes longer to paint them!

The vice crushes and spreads the plastic to about twice its width and it stays flat - perfect for an oar.

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2020, 07:46:55 pm »

Hi Geoff

Fantatsic advice, I will get some plastic rod this week and give it a go. Better than carving or making from two parts!
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:34 pm »

You can do the same thing with soft brass wire too. I've not tried the plastic though. I used a hammer rather than a vice.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2020, 08:15:32 pm »

Hi Colin

That’s interesting to know too, I’ll give both a go and see what I can produce. It’s little fittings like this that make a model and making them less of a chore is always best I think.
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2020, 09:44:29 pm »

Nick,

With the brass wire I cut off an oversize length, bash one end with a hammer on a flat metal surface and then trim both ends to size. Very quick when you get the hang of it.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2020, 09:56:44 pm »

Thanks Colin

Got some thing to try out at work this week- we’ve actually got an anvil at work (which surprises me working on aircraft!). I’ll have a play at work- might get a few funny looks from my mates at work though!
Nick B

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:54 pm »

I've even wondered if it would work with wood if previously soaked particularly with the right wood. Maybe worth a try as lots of smooth wooden oars would look quite nice.

Completed and fitted the forward boats over the weekend. Whilst built I just have to fit two more boats on the high gantry's on the aft superstructure then that task will be competed and I can't say I'm sorry! 15 boats plus one balsa raft. It all took ages and probably the hardest were the two small dinghies as they are only 5cm long and just very hard to hold.

Next main step is probably to make the 40 coal holes. Ideally I would need miniature raised squares just like manhole covers but I can't find a source so I plan to make some soft copper wire circles and crush then in a vice to make a flat disc frame and then use fine net curtain # pattern and cut out discs and insert inside the circular frame. It should all probably look quite convincing and much better than just circles of plastic card.

In real life these would have been flush with the deck but I'm not confident I can recess the deck accurately enough without splintering so mine will be slightly proud.

A almost started making a list of outstanding items over the weekend but then realized its just too early to even think of such a thing!

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2020, 01:38:00 pm »

One of the tasks before me is to make the manhole coverage for the coal ports. These work out about 7mm in diameter so are quite small. Unfortunately my camera won't focus to show the detail but I have made about 40 of these using the following method:

1) Make copper wire circles about 6mm in diameter by winding thin copper wire round a mandrel

2) Cut them off and soft solder the joints.

3) Crush them in a large smooth jaw vice and they flatten and create very thin perfectly circular washers of 7mm outside diameter then paint in dark grey

4) Purchase some fine net curtain # pattern and paint in dark grey.

5) Make a cutting die and cut out  5.9mm discs - its actually quite easy if you rock and roll the die from side to side in a rotating fashion as this will give you a clean cut.

6) Glue the copper washers onto the deck and paint inside with dark grey and immediately place the # disc inside and stipple with a paint brush.

The effect is quite good as you get a very thin and crisp circular frame with an anti slip tread inside which is just about right. Despite the number of steps its not that time consuming or awkward to produce and gives a far better representation than just a flat disc of plastic card.

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2020, 07:55:43 pm »

Hi Geoff

Definitely going to give this a go, after I’ve built my steam pinnaces- ouch this is a real job, I had hoped to use the vacform hulls from Deans Marine for the Dreadnought kit but as you say the Dreadnought drawings don’t match the Invincible versions. Oh well, got nothing else better to do at the moment!
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2020, 12:12:19 pm »

Bloomin boats  :(( Still, they are an evil necessity, though I read somewhere (I think) that wartime damage and action reduced the number of boats available and so ships went out with fewer than designed to carry. Small mercy perhaps!
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2020, 01:01:03 pm »

Yes, it is notable just how much importance was attached to carrying lots of boats. Many of the early dreadnoughts were designed with the foretop right above the fore funnel which smoked it out just so that the boat handling boom could be conveniently sited at the back of the mast.This policy was apparently down to John Jellicoe who was responsible for construction at the time.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2020, 08:27:22 pm »

Oh the balancing act between utility and weight.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:53 pm »

Okay, I can broadly confirm Invincible is now finished, at least externally. I'm now working on installing the turret turning mechanism and the radio control.

Pictures as attached - there are probably still some small bits I'll think of later but essentially its finished. What took a lot of time was the ship ariels. Early Battlecruisers were expected to go hunting enemy armored cruisers hundreds of miles away and in 1910 high topmasts and long ariels were the way to achieve the range. Making these was very fiddly and time consuming. I used nylon single filament thread which is almost invisible and has a little bit of stretch so does not pull the topmasts in. The starfish spreaders are photo-etched JRH stanchions cit down and soldered in the middle.

Hope the pictures come through okay.

Cheers

Geoff

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »

Awesome! I love it!  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2020, 09:30:56 pm »

Absolutely brilliant Geoff, mines coming along nicely now- I’ve worked out another way of distinguishing the two on the water together- mine will be missing the foretops on the masts as apparently at the Falklands these were removed and the range finder baffle fitted. It’ll be different and we will be able to tell them apart.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2020, 11:24:37 pm »

Oh she does look beautiful Geoff. The addition of a few crew demonstrates how big these capital ships were. My little house would sit comfortably on that turret!

I spent a few seconds trying to work out how the aerial arrays above the funnels were attached to the rest until I spied the sailing ship in the background partly obscured! The masts were trying to sneak in to your new ship's glory.

I can't wait to see her on a lake in Kettering next year.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2020, 11:03:13 am »

Thank you for your kind comments. Nick, we will still have trouble telling them apart as the topmasts will disappear when sailing - maybe the funnel bands will help. A few years ago I sailed Canopus with Renown. Both Victorian battleships black hulls white upper-works and buff funnels and masts and we got confused despite Canopus having two fore and aft funnels and Renown with two side by side.

The solution was to play follow my leader and there were a lot of favorable comments but it as still easy to get mixed up.

Its easy to become fixated and you assume there is a radio problem when "your" model turns to port and you are turning the controls to starboard!

If you recall a few years ago at mayhem we sailed about 9 Victorian battleships and we tried formation sailing and it was shambolic but great fun.

Confusion happened in real ships so the developed "follow my leader" doctrine.

The Grand Fleet cruising formation was 5 or 6 columns of 5 or 6 battleships sailing on parallel courses, like a box formation. If action was expected the columns would move further apart such that on command they could all turn to port at a fixed point or to starboard at a fixed point thus forming up in a long line. This was Jellico's brilliance at Jutland (EquaL Speed Charlie London - signal for the fleet to deploy to port) to cross the German T.

It would be nice if we could get a squadron of 1/96 WW1 Dreadnoughts on the lake at the same time but we would need to practice formation sailing!

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.