Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: INVINCIBLE Too!  (Read 40594 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: INVINCIBLE Too!
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2020, 11:33:21 am »

Great images Geoff, that is an absolutely superb model, right up there with the best. I hope to see her on the water when the current difficulty is over.

Colin

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2020, 11:59:24 am »

To add to the above - what an outstanding model! So many fantastic details in those photos. The ships boats are superb. Fisher would have approved!

James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2020, 12:57:22 pm »

So many words as said before....magnificent :-))  Geoff

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:46 pm »

Thank you all for your very kind comments, I hope you won't be disappointed when you see her in the flesh as it were. I keep looking at her and thinking, oh, I could add this little bit too. I'm waiting delivery of two servo sized sail winches to winch the turrets round and a few other bits.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2020, 12:20:34 pm »

The artist has to stop at some point so he can paint his next piece.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:46 pm »

Too true Ian, problem is that we are always looking to add something to the model!
I’ve already got a couple of planned projects for the future but first I’ll finish some of the models... I almost said that without smiling! ;)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Wow!!!  :-))    :-))    :-))

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2020, 03:54:08 pm »

I think I can now say Invincible is virtually finished as I can't think of anything to add to the deck detail. I had the first basin flotation test a day or so ago. The good news is she floats and doesn't leak. The bad news is that with all the batteries I need she is a little heavy with the water level at the top of the black boot topping but I think I can live with that as ships were often heavily loaded.

I have managed to work out the Turnigy 9XR transmitter and bind the second receiver okay. Its all still rather complicated but I found I could copy all of Iron Dukes functionality over onto another model slot so it gave me a base as the control operations will all be the same. Lots of tiny and frustrating adjustments later and I have all four turrets turning, throttle and rudder, Q and Y gun-fire pumps operating and adjusted. I just have to make the gunfire control unit which consists of four 10amp relays and associated wiring. The relays arrived this morning and hope they will be okay.

A & P turrets are connected using home made bowden cables (Net curtain stretchy wire with mono filament for the internal cable wire). Q   & Y turrets uses the same deal with, in each case chocolate box wire connectors which allows you to adjust the outer sheath length and therefore the cable lengths. All enormously time consuming particularly with Y turret as I had to keep removing everything to get to the receiver but its all wired in now and all works.

I only have to:

1) Make up the relay junction box
2) connect up a servo and micro-switch to trigger the relays to power the thermistors in each turret
2) Connect up A & P  turret gunfire pumps

And we are done!!

I'll post some pictures shortly

Cheers

Geoff

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2020, 01:27:43 am »

Wow! I only wish that I could hop the pond to see her in person.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2020, 10:04:18 am »

Okay, some pictures with a bit of luck. Showing Invincible afloat for the first time in the test tank. It's just 6" melamine board screwed together with a couple of support plates flat in the middle and a large plastic sheet taped to keep it in place.

Some of the pictures are a little blurry - camera and camera owner! but show the internal bowden cables used to rotate the beam turrets. Also visible are the connectors - like safety pins as these need to be disconnected to remove the quarterdeck which is a real chore.

Note the chocolate box connectors which allow for fine adjustment of the cable lengths by loosening the screws and pulling the outer sheath which has the effect of lengthening the cable and therefore taking up slack.

Note the brass rings round the turrets and adjustment jacks just visible.

Cheers

Geoff

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2020, 11:44:09 am »

HI Ive just got to say what a fab model you have built  :-))
chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2020, 10:18:04 am »

I was going to ask what the pulleys and cables are for on her bows, but I see they are for the Crinolines  :embarrassed:

Beautiful work Geoff. Very inspiring to see such workmanship.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2020, 11:36:29 am »

Thank you for all the kind comments. I'm in the process of making the gunfire relay block (one relay needed per firing gun so 4 in all). There is an ever growing amount of wiring inside so to try to keep it orderly I have used hangers beneath the decks. Just a 4mm block of obechi with a copper rung (like a large staple protruding) all super-glued together such the cables are passed through the various copper loops/rungs and held underneath the decks out of the way.

It seems to be working well as you can used different supports for radio wiring and motor wiring and gunfire wiring so at least there is a chance of finding any faults!

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:22 am »

Okay, she really is finished now as I have installed all the wiring and test fitted all the batteries. Attached are pictures of the relay structure front and rear. The chocolate box connectors will take power to each turret. The other cabling is from the 12 v batteries to the relays.

Note the "tidy" work station! We all have these and typically work until the debris encroaches so much we can no longer work!

Its all cleared up now and Invincible sits on my dinning room table until I can work out where to store her - she may just end up on the table until Christmas

To be fair I  still have some thi ngs to do:

1) Fit 8 spade terminals for the gunfire batteries

2) Figure out a power supply for the radio  - weight is now a problem

3) Fully insulate the inside of the turrets and seal the end of the working barrels with high temp silicon to stop  moisture bleeding back

4) Final critique and amend any imperfections she really is finished.

5) Steam trials and gunfire trials will have to wait a while.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »

Good for you Geoff! I bet there is the relief you have got this far and achieved much if not all you wanted to with the project.

Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2020, 04:17:41 pm »

After much thought and measurement and studying lots of pictures I think I need to move the boot topping up by 4mm as often there is quite a variation of loading. This will make the model look better on the water. I have done this okay but now the boot topping looks too deep so I need to paint over the lower 4mm in red. I bet I get a perfect match - not!

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:30 pm »

Given that the paint was hand mixed (as per interesting info found in a recent topic) I expect the batches  would have varied, and alterations happened in real life as well as in miniature. Tell a story to anyone who gets sniffy about it Geoff and edumacate them  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2020, 05:17:28 pm »

Good idea. the more I look at it the more uncertain I become - not sure if I have to make any changes. I'll try and get a picture posted and ask for a concensus!

Cheers

Geoff

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2020, 12:18:36 am »

Geoff.....you may well find alternate images with an apparent variation in visual draft or freeboard amidships, however based with the printed references to various load lines relative to bunkers, water, stores, ammunition and manning etc etc.....you just may choose to leave the boot topping where it is

Whilst I understand this certainly could be achieved, it would be a rather large and somewhat daunting task to alter this and still maintain the level of completeness [paint job below the deckline] as she now displays 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2020, 04:59:55 pm »

I agree and after much reflection and sanding the boot topping is now 4mm deeper but I have decided not to try to narrow it from the bottom as its in an awkward line with the plating etc. I can always change it later if it grates too much!

All I want to do now is do a few test sails and I can't. I'm not sure if its allowed and my local pond is all weeded up so need to go further afield and I'm not sure if that park is open. Bah Humbug!!!

Cheers

Geoff

P.S. Just took delivery of the book on Cressey the original builders plans - very nice, now there's an idea!!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »

Oooh, an armoured cruiser  :-) I for one fully approve. You will get your built years before I even start mine!
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2020, 11:36:26 pm »

Hi Geoff

I’ve just taken delivery of that particular book too. I can’t deny that they are stunning books and a very helpful source of information. I have managed to buy all of them so far and pre ordered the Cossack book coming out in July. I’m wondering what the next one will be.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2020, 03:40:55 pm »

I have to say one of my favorites is SMS Helgoland as its an unusual subject. HMM something for ID and Invincible to shoot at!!

I sailed Invincible for the first time last Sunday. Something of a very qualified success as whilst she looked good on the water despite charging the propulsion batteries (reading 6.4 odd volts) they lasted 90 seconds on the water. I didn't even get the chance to get up to full speed. Thereinafter a very slow crawl but if I let her drift a little it would pick up a tiny bit. Classic dead batteries. On checking at home they still read 6v but under load the voltage dropped immediately to 3v and 0.88v!

Gunnery trials were also problematical with the effect really quite poor and not up to ID standard at all. I hardly got off half a dozen poor salvo's before they all dropped out. On checking at home under load the master 12v battery which controls all the relays to power the thermistors showed 6v under load!  So as the relays need 12v to work I suspect they were cycling. Voltage drop relays switches off, voltage recovers, relay switches on etc so pretty sure I never got the guns up to temperature.

I have a spare 12v battery but ordered four 6v batteries which arrived today. Annoyingly they were not the ones advertised. Normally no issues but the advertised ones come in at 1000g whereas these come in at 1250g so an extra 500g to manage. How much this will effect the ship I don't know so I'll give it a try this Sunday. I suspect I have no choice and the lighter ones are just not available anymore. Oh well if she is a little heavy no probs as the real ship could carry 2,000 tons of coal!!

Ironically the real Invincible's first gunnery trials were a disaster too. They were trying out electrical powered turrets and the reports said every time a switch was used there was a flash of blue flame and the fuses went - the most dangerous trials they ever witnessed!! They converted the turrets to hydraulics in 1913 and conceded electrical turrets were a failure.

I have some pictures but can't re-size them for some reason.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2020, 03:42:50 pm »

As regards armored cruisers you can get a Kent hull which is only a couple of inches too short - Nick has shown the way in extending his Deans Dreadnought into Invincible, so maybe something to think about!!

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2020, 04:01:06 pm »

Just figured it out!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.