Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: INVINCIBLE Too!  (Read 40587 times)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: INVINCIBLE Too!
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2020, 12:01:50 pm »

Wicked nice! Were those German geese?  :embarrassed:

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2020, 01:12:31 pm »

Would one of them be then called the geeseinau  %)  (gneisenau)

Geese jokes a plenty for fun, can we do ducks as well

Ducktland (deutchland)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2020, 04:07:32 pm »

Oh you punster you!

I am sorry to hear your batteries have been truculent Geoff and wish you a better trial run soon. I ordered a set of plans from the states for Helgoland last year. They came from Loyalhanna. I like the hexagonal turret layout for some reason!

Beautiful work Geoff  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2020, 04:19:53 pm »

On second sailing I'm pleased to report all went well. The extra weight really didn't make any difference. Speed was a good scale 26 knots. It actually seemed to get a little faster as the time went by, probably things easing up a little. On two 6v 7.2ah batteries in parallel I sailed for over two hours with no loss in performance so sailing time is easily adequate (particularly as I have two spare batteries as well).

Gunnery trials also proved successful with all four turrets firing. I probably did about 60 salvo's in all and scored numerous hits on small boys!! Much to the amusement of their parents! (It doesn't actually fire anything obviously).

So I think I can confirm Invincible has passed her commissioning trials. No pictures this time but they would look the same as the others.

Observations: The bow wave climbs quite high up the stem. In turning on full rudder I lose about 70% of speed which seems more than Iron Duke. Working the turrets to get a full four gun broadside is complex to avoid the two midships turrets fouling each other! She seems to roll in the turn a little more than Iron Duke. It may be the additional topside weight of the second tripod and taller masts which are in brass tube. Objectively the ariels catch the wind as well.

Overall I was quite pleased.

Ballastanksian - do you have the Kagero 3D book on Helgoland?

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:55 pm »

Hi Geoff

Great to see your Invincible finished and sailing, I wish I could say mine was but I think I’m still a few months behind. Work certainly hasn’t helped in between shifts!
I presume you mean the Kagero book SMS Posen and the NMM book The Battleship Helgoland, both stunning books and I look forward to seeing a nemesis for the Iron Duke to fire at!
I’ve decided on something smaller this time once Invincible is finished, I’ve got a hull of her nemesis at the Battle of The Falkland Islands- SMS Scharnhorst. Hopefully between us all we will have a Grand Fleet and a High Seas Fleet in a few years time!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:18 pm »

On second sailing I'm pleased to report all went well. The extra weight really didn't make any difference. Speed was a good scale 26 knots. It actually seemed to get a little faster as the time went by, probably things easing up a little. On two 6v 7.2ah batteries in parallel I sailed for over two hours with no loss in performance so sailing time is easily adequate (particularly as I have two spare batteries as well).

Gunnery trials also proved successful with all four turrets firing. I probably did about 60 salvo's in all and scored numerous hits on small boys!! Much to the amusement of their parents! (It doesn't actually fire anything obviously).

So I think I can confirm Invincible has passed her commissioning trials. No pictures this time but they would look the same as the others.

Observations: The bow wave climbs quite high up the stem. In turning on full rudder I lose about 70% of speed which seems more than Iron Duke. Working the turrets to get a full four gun broadside is complex to avoid the two midships turrets fouling each other! She seems to roll in the turn a little more than Iron Duke. It may be the additional topside weight of the second tripod and taller masts which are in brass tube. Objectively the ariels catch the wind as well.

Overall I was quite pleased.

Ballastanksian - do you have the Kagero 3D book on Helgoland?

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff, great news on your successful trials! Have loads of fun bombarding your local youth while you ponder your next project!

I hadn't begun to do deeper research as I wanted to get other projects further developed and then the Monitor bug kicked in. Really I do not want a workshop full of projects (any more than I currently have now!) to to encourage ennui.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:25 pm »

After a number of sailings I made modifications to the main engines. The inner shafts are direct drive and the outer "O" ring. Whilst the speed was okay I felt I could be improved so removed the engine unit and reduced the outer pulleys by about 10% and re-installed. Whole thing was more complicated than I thought and took about 3.5 hours in all and very fiddly due to other equipment installed after the engines! Must do more planning!

Sailed her on Sunday and there was a noticeable improvement in speed - its still not excessive and looks pretty scale but just that bit faster for practical sailing. Overall I was well pleased at the result and as anticipated no reduction in sailing time due to the large engines. Total sailing was 2.5 hours and plenty of life left. (two 6v 7ahr lead acid).

Guns worked fine as well particularly given the cooler weather which accentuates the effect.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2021, 09:04:28 pm »

Ah, that magic word 'Planning'. So often done, and yet something always crops up.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2021, 04:29:02 pm »

A friend took a couple of good pictures yesterday so thought I'd share. It was quite windy and rough for a model boat - taken at Black Park in Slough - great venue.

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2021, 04:30:32 pm »

That model has superb detailing Geoff. The lighting makes it look like the real thing.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2021, 03:11:46 pm »

Some pictures from last weekend at Wicksteed- I took some pictures of Geoff’s Invincible before we got underway with fleet manoeuvres practice. As you would agree she is a work of art and a thing of beauty.
Nick B

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2021, 04:24:32 pm »

Very impressive on the water.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2021, 08:32:25 pm »

One final thought for myself and Geoff (and of course everyone else)- what do you think the covered fitting is in front of the foremast port tripod support? It looks like a searchlight but according to my research there wasn't one fitted in this refit (1914). This picture is from the Gibraltar Jan 1915 refit when the fore funnel was eventually extended upwards. Any ideas?
Nick B

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2021, 10:03:37 am »

I'll have to check the plans and other pictures but without doubt its a searchlight, port and starboard under canvass covers which was usual.

Cheers

P.S. Thank you for posting the pictures and your kind comments

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2021, 04:10:44 pm »

I've found another picture without the covers which clearly show they are searchlights. Hmm, interesting. It may be they moved two forwards on a temporary basis which is why they don't show in the as fitted plans.

Interesting - I've pasted the link address below - hope it works! Interestingly the other famous picture with Invincible steaming flat out at the Falklands with copious amounts of smoke doesn't seem to show them however there is no real guarantee that either picture is really what is proposed to be.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.iwm.org.uk%2Fciim5%2F295%2F347%2Flarge_000000.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.iwm.org.uk%2Fcollections%2Fitem%2Fobject%2F205124074&tbnid=_sL8UDCiSWt6WM&vet=12ahUKEwjs1OKa0OryAhVG0YUKHXRoAqYQMygCegUIARCGAg..i&docid=niEaPuYy3la9eM&w=800&h=587&q=hms%20invincible%20pictures%201914&ved=2ahUKEwjs1OKa0OryAhVG0YUKHXRoAqYQMygCegUIARCGAg

Cheers

Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:06 pm »

I read your last few comments chaps and recall the diary of modifications made to HMS Cochrane during the war and they were adding and taking things off all the time, and adding more search lights sees to have been popular as well as AA weapons.

Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2021, 10:12:39 am »

Geoff,

Excellent article on Invincible in Nov 2021 Model Boats just out. I really enjoyed it.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2021, 10:21:48 am »

Geoff,

Excellent article on Invincible in Nov 2021 Model Boats just out. I really enjoyed it.

Colin

I concur, just finished reading the article over my breakfast and really enjoyed it too.
I’ve just got some tulle material for my torpedo nets so I’m going to have fun with booms, wire and netting. :-))
Nick B

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.