Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaker Yard Rescue  (Read 4489 times)

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
Breaker Yard Rescue
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:06:11 pm »

a few years ago i was givern the remains of the Caldercraft Alte Liebe...

Her hull was battered and torn, her superstructure destroyed, and her deck damaged...

overview of the deck...

Hull patch job ?

Some closeups of the Damage to the deck

I started the restoration by saving her from the scrapyard a few years ago, but issues with my mental health have prevented me from restoring her to this point
She holds water or at least she did when i worked on her before, and the motor is a runner...
to restore her, im going to have to build a new Superstructure from Scratch ( most likely using my 3d printer due to health issues )
She will be my first restoration after salvaging several ships off my Stepfather many years ago
I Figured id ask if just judging by the photos if you think she is worth saving...
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Breaker Yard Rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »

I have seen worse sold on Ebay, so If she held water and the hull has no structural issues then I reckon she is worth restoring. Maybe the area of damage to the deck could be cut out and replaced with new material and faired in to make good while the patch on the hull can be sanded carefully to see how uneven it is and then doing a bit of filling and fairing in.

Pond weed is your enemy

RST

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:20 pm »

I see nothing unsalvageable there.  That would be advertised at a premium on the Ebay as "rare" just needing some TLC (whether it sells or not I dunno)!   If your'e prepared to re-build though I would scrape back / strip as much paint as you can, cut-out and fill cracks repairs etc.  Motors and electronics are easily swapped these days.  You don't have to worry about fancy new parts as old-skool stuff still works fine.  Probably less work than throwing away and starting from new.

3D printing I cannot comment.  I missed my chance to buy a printer a few years ago so for me taditional building is far cheaper and quite rewarding for similar time invested.

Rich

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »

well my 3d Printer is now hard at work printing sections for a superstructurethe deck seems straight enough, but i will know more when i sand it back to the wood to get all the muck off i will also likely print sections to fill the holes in the deck as i dont have the tools / materials / help to work with wood currently, kinda wish there was more photos of the original to be honest, i can really only find one or two photos of her completed and some shaky camera footagemost likely ill end up designing something far different than how she originally looked

Progress so far...
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:00 pm »

Looking much better already :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 11:32:47 am »

next part is up on the printer

also managed to get some new batteries and a 2.4ghz transmitter / reciver combo for her, and SHE LIVES!!!

i dont have anywhere to sail her due to myself not driving for medical reasons, and i dont know of any clubs nearby ( the local one in Rugeley i believe moved due to losing their lake )
so if anyone knows any clubs near to Lichfield, Staffordshire could they let me know / get in touch ?  especially if anyone travels to / past Lichfield on the way to the lake, i will happily give Petrol money

i have a few others boats that are RTR although most need work in some form or another, and a couple of helicopters im to scared to fly
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:31:06 pm »

Managed to get alot more work done to her, sanded the Deck after i got alot of gunk off ( it looked like the deck and hull were sealed with bathroom sealant )

also sanded the patch in the hull to smooth the patches down abit she will have another coat of primer then topcoat but i figured id ask what paints to use before i buy them

Printer is also running to make new parts when i can spare it, Still looking for a local club i could join
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:23:26 pm »

More photos, i didnt bother to clean the 3d printed parts after they came off the printer since it will have a roof on it anyways ( the green stuff is Pritt stick that helps the part stick to the printbed )
also printed a quick bracket to hold the Rx batteries and will be printing one for the speed controller
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:39 pm »

The superstructure is excellent! It really adds to the shape of the hull.
Pond weed is your enemy

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:58:19 am »

for the upper deck and wheelhouse im debating on if i should add an overhang to it, some tugs do have it, some don't

This is the two quick mockups ive made
figured id ask which people prefer

Also looking into getting some 1:25 fixtures like fenders and such, i just wish retailers would have a 'search by scale' option
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 02:58:11 am »

Well the rendition with the port & stdb Bridge Wings would allow a Deck Officer or Master of the vessel to stand directly over  %) the outer side of the hull when docking

Having said that...I suspect no such Bridge Wings were installed on such vessels [build age/design?]

Another question is the centre axis of the port & stdb Portlights....vessels of this vintage appeared to have the top of each Portlight very close to the top of the bulkhead [roof/ceiling]......

I have increased the centre axis height of the stdb side Portlights to match that of the fwd facing units

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 03:39:35 am »

These are all custom made parts, im not following any specific build of any specific ship

im drawing most of the parts myself, or modifying premade sections from a design warehouse,

also i dont understand what you mean with this line
Another question is the centre axis of the port & stdb Portlights....vessels of this vintage appeared to have the top of each Portlight very close to the top of the bulkhead [roof/ceiling]......

I have increased the centre axis height of the stdb side Portlights to match that of the fwd facing units

perhaps its my Autism im not sure

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 04:26:30 am »

No ..not any condition related.....

I was simply seeing the height or axis of the 2 fwd facing Porlights which appeared correct with respect to the ceiling or roof/bulkhead

The blue line was just the same axis when transferred to the stdb & port sides of the deck block build

I do remember standing in similar vintage vessels & looking out of the Portlight was OK for me ........however any 6 footer++ in our group needed to bend their necks  O0 as the bulkhead roof height was just about the same  height

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:38:57 pm »

Another day of printing down

the base / front section failed close to the top, but i decided to simply print new top section rather than print it all again ( it was a clean break so it will be easy to attach the new part )

i have also ordered some 1/24th scale crew, lifeboat crane, and winch and some lighting i can use to pretty her up a little on the water
is there an easy way to add some transparent material behind the portholes ? i was thinking thin acrylic glued on, but i heard it turns cloudy if you try to superglue it, and hotmelt might damage the plastic
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 07:33:21 am »

For the window glazing, try and get some Lexan Sheet around .5mm or .020", as it's more resistant to scratching. Thin Perspex ( Acrylic ) sheet will also work, and use Acrylic contact adhesive, which dries clear, and cleans up with water if you manage to smudge it.
Others will recommend Canopy glue, but I have not used that myself.
Or you can get a non blooming Superglue.

Ian.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 08:32:33 pm »

HI Lilgoth, you mentioned in an earlier post about looking for a club to join, you are not showing any location, were abouts are you??

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »

Fixed, thanks

im in Lichfield, South Staffordshire, i know there was a club in Rugeley that i visited once, but i couldnt get regular transport and i cant drive due to medical issues

Printed out some Battery Holder Brackets to keep the Lighting and RX batteries in place, a roof and rear wall for the Wheelhouse Currently she is sat with the glue drying

next up is the rear most part of the superstructure, and the lifeboat, then i can move onto the rest of the boats that i have now

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 07:20:10 am »

There are quite a few clubs in the area, have a look in the club list, dont know about transport to the site etc, but a requi would help you decide

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 08:28:43 am »

Made a bit of a mess while drilling the panels to install the navigation lights, so i decided the best thing to do would be to simply re-print the parts with the holes already installed
the extentions of the navigation lights will also hopefully keep the wheelhouse from wandering around if i hit a wave

Also where should the waterline be on a vessel like this ? in some photos and waterline models i can see the red line above the waterline, but in others there is no red visible and my model sits
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.