Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken Dodd RIP  (Read 3262 times)

F Flintstone

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ken Dodd RIP
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:00:22 am »

The legendary Ken Dodd  has passed away aged 90, he will be sadly missed by a lot of people.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ken Dodd RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:45 am »

The funniest man I ever went to see. A comic genius. <:(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:56:36 am »

Doddy wasn't my cup-of-tea. Never warmed to the man.  {:-{

https://news.sky.com/entertainment
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:38:38 am »

As Martin says - rather a Marmite comedian really. If you were on his wavelength, fine, otherwise not very funny. But then we all do have different senses of humour My favourite was always Dave Allen. He was a genius.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:57:29 am »

Yes, I thought Dave Allen (at Large), was genius!

I now think Anthony Aloysius St John Hancock was a brilliant too.

Laurel & Hardy - Yes
Buster Keaton - Couple of Brilliant films
Harold Lloyd -  Few Brilliant films
Charley Chaplin - Genius but not-my-cup-of-tea
Goons - Still don't understand the concept.
Navy Lark - Just annoying!
George Formby - Hyper annoying but fascinating to watch!
Les Dawson  - Brilliant 
Morecambe & Wise - Still my all time favourites!

.... but what do I know!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:22:08 pm »

Pardon me for dumping on this post but, at the beginning of the year the admins removed a 'in memoriam' post saying this was not the place for them. Why is this one any different to the previous one?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:09 pm »

Yeah....    :embarrassed:

I think it was the proliferation that patrons of Mayhem objected to, too many reminders of our own mortality.   {:-{

"Life is like a box of chocolates...."

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:54 pm »

As Martin says - rather a Marmite comedian really. If you were on his wavelength, fine, otherwise not very funny. But then we all do have different senses of humour My favourite was always Dave Allen. He was a genius.

Colin
Like you Colin, I was never a fan and then one day, my Dad bought us tickets to go and watch him. I really was not looking forward to going, but boy, did he surprise me. Live on stage he was brilliant..........for hours. My sides ached with laughing so much. I was delighted to have gone.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »

he will be greatly missed in Fleetwood........he did the New Years day nightly show for many years at the Marine Hall,  and was the funniest man I have ever seen, other than Billy Connolly. never any vulgarity, swearing or racism in any o his shows...........and no singing.

As Colin says, a marmite guy, but I love marmite and vegemite as well, lol.

I was at one of his shows just after he was acquitted of tax evasion, and took the proverbial out of a friend of mine, Ken Hewitt who was a tax inspector for HMRC, sat in the row in front, ALL NIGHT............ but in a gracious and friendly manner, with no animosity........that was the sort of man he was, coming from the streets of Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

I would rather sit for a four hour show of his than two minutes with some of the so called comedians of the present day!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »

I would rather sit for a four hour show of his than two minutes with some of the so called comedians of the present day!

I think you've got a very good point there Neil.

Colin

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »

we went to see his show and as Neil said, after 4 hours my bum was numb. The tax affair  give him an awful lot of material. Good comedian and please note, no Smut, he will be missed, nemesis

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »

Begs the ? why Martins all time favourites were a pair  of blokes that shared a bed as part of their act ok2

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 10:00:29 pm »

Pardon me for dumping on this post but, at the beginning of the year the admins removed a 'in memoriam' post saying this was not the place for them. Why is this one any different to the previous one?

I don't see it as an "In memoriam" so much as a statement of fact to bring it to members' attention.

Martin, what's wrong with you??? The Goons were absolutely brilliant O0  Who will ever forget Neddie Seagoon, Moriarty, Eccles, or Bluebottle.

Peter.

T33cno

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:09:41 pm »

It's always sad to see people go whom you grew up with as a child and looked up to them on TV.
A fine chap R.I.P.

I think my favourites are also Morecambe & Wise. More tea Ern?

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:37:20 pm »

I don't see it as an "In memoriam" so much as a statement of fact to bring it to members' attention.

Martin, what's wrong with you??? The Goons were absolutely brilliant O0  Who will ever forget Neddie Seagoon, Moriarty, Eccles, or Bluebottle.

Peter.

Shut up the famous Eccles!

They really don't make 'em like they used to. I rewatched my way through It Ain't Half Hot Mum last week, very funny and obviously indicative of the time, but banned from the TV now.  :-X

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 10:46:33 pm »

Hi all, I saw him many years ago 2nd. performance at a sea side show, he went on for hours after the show was due to end.  We were all in stitches, very funny and nice clean fun.

Not able to understand the Goons!!!  Much of it was based on the officer / lower ranks experienced in the war, with a lot of silly officers.  I am staying (in Oz) just up the road from where Spike Milligan used to live.  Just a different view point on the world.
regards Roy

T33cno

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »

I hear it was quite normal for the audience to miss their last buses as he went on so long....................with his encore  {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »

Ken Dodd Died.

Did he?

No, Doddy!

.... too soon?!

T33cno

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:44 pm »

He'd have loved that  :-)) {-)

T33cno

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:20 pm »

Apparently as he recently knew he was going to die he married his partner of 40 yrs. Maybe not getting married kept them fresh for all that time. Good way to finish off  O0

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:55:41 pm »

Will never forget the end of Season show at the Winter gardens in Blackpool the same year as he was cleared of Tax evasion He came on at around 11 and we didn't get out of there till 3.30 am and my sides were hurting for  a couple of days...what a sad loss RIP

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:10 pm »

Don't know Peter, it's baffled psychiatrists for decades!    %%

Goons still on the radio! - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072vdz/episodes/player

T33cno

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »

Apparently as he recently knew he was going to die he married his partner of 40 yrs. Maybe not getting married kept them fresh for all that time. Good way to finish off  O0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5490679/Sir-Ken-Dodd-laugh-tax-affairs.html

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »

As a younger member (  :} ) I can see both sides of the coin. Today's comedians have a different audience, which is at home with riper dialogue and greater use of expletives. I recently listened to a show by Jimmy Carr, and it was at points beyond the pale, indeed, only a fraction of it could have been aired on Primetime TV. Dodd and many comedians of his era were cleverer and used innuendo with flair. It entertained those who watched it but left the audience to make of the meaning what they wanted, it wasn't in your face and could be broadcast.

The Goons are indeed for me decipherable, but I can only listen to short spells. Some of the sketches are hilarious.

You have to hand it to Ken Dodd, for being one of the top three selling artists in the sixties, especially when you think of who he was up against. It just goes to show what a broad appeal he had.
Pond weed is your enemy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 10:45:13 pm »

"The Inland Revenue asked me for money. I told them I didn't owe them anything as I live at the seaside."

"I've not spoken to my Mother-in-Law for eighteen months. I don't like to interrupt."

{-)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.