Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Stevns Arctic Build  (Read 64750 times)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stevns Arctic Build
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:18 pm »

Schottel's fitted and secured, also made the fitment for the spur gear this is secured to the body of the Schottel with a 3mm grub screw.                                                     

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »

Amazing build with such thoughtful engineering  :-))   I reckon you could pull a full size rowing boat around the lake with those drives!

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »

Cheers Mark, It will be quite some time before she is ready to pull anything  :-))

I have been busy today making and fitting the servo's spur gears and I have done a test run and all is well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2020, 11:34:29 pm »

Very tidy with the adapter flange bolted to the larger gear  :-)) ....[the only reliable way to secure nylon to nylon]

Not sure if I missed the text on the directional control for each of the Schottel drives as opposed to independent control for speed [RPM] for each of the propellers  

1. Will each Schottel operate in a fixed parallel angle of helm?, or will they be able to operate at different angles of helm?
2. I understand the latter as a traditional twin motors drive with a speed mixer relative to rudder command etc, however this must be a completely different  %)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pufferfish

• Full Mayhemer
  • puff up the fish :-)
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2020, 08:26:19 am »

Very sexy, this schottel-unit, Brian  :-)) :-)) :-))
however this must be a completely different  %)

Derek
My experience with schottels:
it is completely different. After several tests (with catastrophic results) with my floating-crane to handle the three schottels fully manual, i've bought the solution from imth. with this product
the handling is more usual for me and with the optional and remote-selectable master-slave-mode i'm able to use both ways of handling. synchron or separate.

Regards
Ralf

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2020, 09:09:26 pm »

Derek I normally have both Schottel's working together basically to make it easier to control the tug, I have operated them independently in the past but not with a lot of success.

Ralf the product from imth looks very promising probably worth looking into :-))

Brian

towrope

• Shipmate
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2020, 10:04:04 pm »

Hi Brian I think it's a must to have the twin Aquamaster controls it's just a shame the time and quality of those units not to be able to use them to there full capability I sill remember how to use them if you need some driving lessons (lol) keep up the good work really enjoying watching the build progress >>:-( :police:  take care and all the best Tom.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2020, 10:28:51 pm »

Hi Brian I think it's a must to have the twin Aquamaster controls it's just a shame the time and quality of those units not to be able to use them to there full capability I sill remember how to use them if you need some driving lessons (lol) keep up the good work really enjoying watching the build progress >>:-( :police:  take care and all the best Tom.

I agree Tom, I might take you up on those driving lessons when she is all finished  :-))

towrope

• Shipmate
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2020, 10:35:33 pm »

No problem Brian like i said look forward to watching the progress.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2020, 09:11:41 pm »

Great day today got my ESCs sorted  after following the advice from forum members, the motors are running great to be perfectly honest I was nearly about to go back to brushed motors.

Back to the Artic build, today I made the batterie box and fitted the support beams for the deck, she has quite a big superstructure so this gives me plenty of room.

Stumps

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2020, 10:54:34 am »

Morning Brian,

May I ask how you have mounted the battery box to the bottom of the hull?

Regards
Ant

red_noir

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2020, 07:23:01 pm »

Hello ! just curious what the diameter of the Schottel's are on your boat? debating using two from Ocean works for a similar Orion Moldings build.
https://www.oceanworkscale.com/product/z-peller-azimuth-thruster-z-drive-propulsion-combo-set-100mm-reinforce-nylon/

Chuck

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:49 pm »

Morning Brian,

May I ask how you have mounted the battery box to the bottom of the hull?

Regards
Ant

Hi Ant I made a wood frame to fit the contour of the hull then laminated this in place then covered with 4mm ply, then made the frame work around the edge. If you look at the photos the batterie box also supports the frame work for the deck this makes a very solid structure, I have used this idea in quite a few of the models over the years and it has not let me down.

Hope this helps
Brian

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:41 pm »

Hello ! just curious what the diameter of the Schottel's are on your boat? debating using two from Ocean works for a similar Orion Moldings build.
https://www.oceanworkscale.com/product/z-peller-azimuth-thruster-z-drive-propulsion-combo-set-100mm-reinforce-nylon/

Chuck

85mm inside diameter  :-))

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2020, 10:56:42 pm »

A bit more done on the deck supports today, on the aft section of the Stevns deck will be a removable hatch to allow any work needed on the drives this is the reason she is named the Stevns Arctic and not the Stevns Ocean. The Stevns Arctic and the Stevns Ocean are identical vessels apart from the stern deck, the Arctic has a large area covered with wood to protect the deck, the Ocean is all steel plate.

Stumps

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2020, 08:36:46 am »

Hi Ant I made a wood frame to fit the contour of the hull then laminated this in place then covered with 4mm ply, then made the frame work around the edge. If you look at the photos the batterie box also supports the frame work for the deck this makes a very solid structure, I have used this idea in quite a few of the models over the years and it has not let me down.

Hope this helps
Brian

Thanks Brian for the info above and it's a fantastic build. I might have to do something similar to my tug. Although hull is nearly 3mm thick fiberglass it's surprisingly flexible from stem to stern.

regards
Ant 

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2020, 11:14:22 am »

Chuck
I'm waiting for delivery of a pair of these schottles in this size. Mine is the same hull as Brian's. 
I think they must be made to order as they have been a long time coming. I know they are now about to be delivered so I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

red_noir

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:34 am »

I'm waiting for delivery of a pair of these schottles in this size. Mine is the same hull as Brian's. 
I think they must be made to order as they have been a long time coming. I know they are now about to be delivered so I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

Oh awesome, I'm really curious about these drives, They look great. Ill keep an eye out for your assessment ! :)

Chuck

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2020, 01:08:35 pm »

A bit slower journey than pre COVID
Looking forwards to pictures
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2020, 02:47:28 pm »

The main delay was another eight days after we last spoke before they hit the courier.

The actual journey from HK has not been too bad. The tracking has been very informative.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2020, 08:43:53 pm »

Not quite the same hull as mine Buttts as I made the plug and the mould and I have the only hull from the mould LOL

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »

Yes Brian, I realise that :embarrassed: :-))  I just meant the same size.

Mine is also going to be based on Stevns Battler as that has a lower superstructure than the Ocean/Artic type.  At Balne Moor tall superstructures just get blown off course too much

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2020, 08:55:58 pm »

Yes Brian, I realise that :embarrassed: :-))  I just meant the same size.

Mine is also going to be based on Stevns Battler as that has a lower superstructure than the Ocean/Artic type.  At Balne Moor tall superstructures just get blown off course too much

Did you buy the one that Orion is selling ?

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2020, 08:59:00 pm »

Yes, mine is one of Orion's but I've had it on the slip for about a year as other projects have taken too long!

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2020, 09:03:36 pm »

Andy I think this is the type of schottle that Butts has ordered
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.