Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleetscale 1/72 County Class Destroyer HMS Fife - Static - By kevin547n  (Read 12892 times)

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Good evening everyone

I dont have a Build log on here, but happy to start one if there is any interest

Hull by Fleetscale and plans by Jecobin

started in July 2017 and planed to be completed within 3 years

at present she looks like this

Amerigo Vespucci -  Panart - 1/84
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66456.0.html

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer

Lovely subject, great looking Seaslug launcher. Keep up the good work I'll look forward to seeing more of your pictures as your build progresses.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!

I love the lines of these warships.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

WOW, that is impressive...........did you serve on her Kevin.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer

Served on her Sister ship London as my first sea draft!   :embarrassed:
Regards,

Rich

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer

WOW, that is impressive...........did you serve on her Kevin.

I served on her from 1978-1980, thss was my second sea draft, the first being HMS Sheffield, in 1980 i went into Subs and did 27 years in various types

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer

thank you for the comments, i still dont know if the log is in the correct place

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye

Yes please, do put a build log here. Based on what you have done so far it will be a very popular build.

It probably sits best in the Warships section but one of the Mods will move it if you do carry on with showing us all the build.

Oh, and welcome to Mayhem!

Greg

Neil

• Full Mayhemer

I served on her from 1978-1980, thss was my second sea draft, the first being HMS Sheffield, in 1980 i went into Subs and did 27 years in various types

did you ever come across a guy called mike [slinger] woods from Fleetwood...he served on the Resolution class and then Trident class subs in the electronics area .......retired a few years ago to live in Cyprus.

slinger

• Full Mayhemer

I finished my twelve years service on Fife in 1971 so will be following this with interest :-)) :-))

Slinger

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fleetscale 1/72 County Class Destroyer HMS Fife - Static - By kevin547n
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »

Good evening everyone, welcome to my build

This is HMS Fife, a County Class Destroyer, built in the 1960's during the cold war, I personally served on her from 1978-1980 during which time we made the news around the world after we were turned around from going home and went back to give aid to the island of Dominica after she was struck by a hurricane

I will use this page for now as an index, as i intend to work in stages, which is not how I normally build, where as i tend to go to what ever i fancied

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 08:30:06 pm »

Design and constructionFife was the first and only British warship to bear the name, for county Fife. She was a Mk2 Guided Missile Destroyer (GMD, also referred to pre-1975 by its then US Navy/NATO designator DLG (Large Destroyer (USN 'Frigate') carrying long range surface to air missiles for area defence; post-1975 DDG, 'destroyer' with similar characteristics). The Mk2 designator refers to her primary armament, the Seaslug Mk2 missile. The weapon had begun development in the early fifties and entered service in the Mk1 GMDs like Hampshire. By modern standards the Seaslug is a huge missile with one sustainer rocket motor and 4 disposable boosters. The missile was a so-called 'beam rider'. It was launched from a huge rail launcher in the stern and boosted into the guidance beam from the fire direction radar which pointed at the target, a high altitude supersonic attack aircraft. Once in the beam the missile would fly at supersonic speed to the target where a proximity fuze would detect the target and detonate the continuous rod warhead.
The ship was ordered by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on 26 September 1961. The keel was laid on 1 June 1962 by Fairfield Shipbuilding and the vessel was launched 9 July 1964. Fife was commissioned 21 June 1966 with the pennant number D20.
Royal Navy serviceIn 1969, Fife took part in a group deployment around the world. She left Portsmouth on 1 April 1970 and sailed to Safi in Morocco; the first visit by a British warship for over a 100 years. Then to Lagos in Nigeria just at the end of the Biafran War. From Lagos to Simon's Town in South Africa. The gates of the former British Naval base still bore the royal cypher, VR. From Simon's Town, she briefly took part in the Beira Patrol off the shores of Rhodesia after Prime Minister Ian Smith declared Rhodesia's Unilateral Declaration of Independence. The Beira Patrol was a naval blockade to enforce economic sanctions on the errant regime. From there she crossed the Indian Ocean and stopped off at the NATObase on the island of Gan en route to Singapore. There she spent 6 weeks in an Assisted Maintenance Period (AMP) before heading for the South China Sea to conduct the first live firings of the Sea Slug Mk2 area protection anti-aircraft missile. The ship had been refitted in Portsmouth to accommodate a larger war-load of missiles and this work was completed in Singapore where she took on live missiles. The trials were successful against US targets from bases in the Philippines. After this she went to Hong Kong and Kobe in Japan for Expo 70, before heading to Pearl Harbor on Hawaii and then on to Long Beach in California and Acapulco in Mexico and via the Panama Canal to Puerto Rico and on to the Mediterranean. She visited Toulon and spent time in Malta and Gibraltar before returning to the UK. Whilst in Hawaii, the Royal Navy abolished the rum issue. As a result, Fife became the last ship in the Navy to issue rum by virtue of being the furthest west in the Pacific. The Hawaiian media came on board and were quite bemused when the ships Senior Ratings staged a mock burial at sea, complete with a Pipers Lament provide by the ship's pipe and drum band and pall bearers dressed in black.
Her Commanding Officer for this voyage was Captain David Scott, who had been the 1st Lieutenant of Seraph in the Second World War when the submarine penetrated Tokyo Harbour and sat on the bottom, carrying out reconnaissance of the Japanese shipping there.
She had 'B' turret removed and replaced with four Exocet launchers in the mid-1970s. In 1977, she attended the Silver JubileeFleet Review and formed part of the 2nd Flotilla.[1][/size] In 1979, Fife provided assistance to the Caribbean island of [size=0px]Dominica after the island was severely hit by Hurricane David. She was under refit during the Falklands War and did not take part in the conflict.

Refit 1986In 1986, Fife underwent a refit to convert her into a mobile training ship. The removal of her Seaslug missile system and its large magazine was completed in June 1986, which created space for extra messdecks and classrooms for officers under training. One messdeck still used hammocks and these officers are possibly the last men in the Royal Navy to sleep in hammocks; they were told so at the time. In early September 1986 she undertook a Dartmouth Training Ship (DTS) deployment to the Caribbean Sea and Florida, returning to Portsmouth in late November. She was accompanied on this deployment by the frigates Diomede and Apollo.
A "hut" was built where the Seaslug launcher had once stood, aft of the helicopter pad. This grey box was a navigation training classroom and attracted much attention from a Russian Kashin-class destroyer, which regularly "buzzed" Fife for some close quarter photographs.[/size][size=0px][[/size]citation needed]
Her second Dartmouth Training Ship deployment in January 1987 took her via Brest into the Mediterranean Sea, in company with Intrepid. Her final voyage in the Royal Navy was to lead a Dartmouth Training Ship deployment to North America, in which she and Juno sailed into the Great Lakes. On her return to Great Britain in June 1987 she landed the officers under training at Dartmouth and then proceeded to Portsmouth where she was decommissioned after 21 years of service.
[/size]Chilean Navy service[size=0px][/color]
The ship was sold to Chile on 12 August 1987 and renamed Blanco Encalada. She was taken into refit at Talcahuano on her arrival and, taking advantage of the removed Sea Slug, her deck was extended aft and a new, larger hangar constructed. The rebuild was completed in May 1988. In 1996 Blanco Encalada's Sea Cat launchers were removed and she was fitted with the Barak SAM.
Blanco Encalada was decommissioned from the Chilean Navy on 12 December 2003 and was sold for scrap in November 2005. She was broken up by Turkish shipbreakers Leyal Gemi Sokum in 2013.

This is how she looked in the Chilean Navy

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 08:37:58 pm »

lots to discuss with this build, more questions than answers, and the way I plan to build her will no doubt seam strange but here goes. The plans came from a company called Jecobin, i dont know if they are the same ones that come from where i Purchased the hull, but thats the company I chose they are 1/1 so the to shhets give the full representation of the finished vessel 2.3m and cost me £55
the hull came from a company called fleetscale in Cornwall UK, A gentleman called Justin kept me informed of progress and it was delivered in less than 3 weeks, the price was about £170 and the postage another £30[/size][/font][/color]

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »

In September 2017 intententions were to leave the hull well alone at this stage, but it became apparent that I might as well put a quick MDF Deck on her to be used as a temp worktop, as the hull alone is over 7 feet long,and taking up a lot of space

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »

september 2017

to ensure I could understand the plans, over a couple of weekend i knocked up the superstructure in card, when i was happy with each peice it got a very quick covering with grey rattle can primer
[/size] [/color]
[/size]to trace the plans onto card i made up a light box from a sheet of glass with a small lamp underneath, it actually worked quite well[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 09:03:31 pm »

building the superstructure in card was quite easy, and i anticipated transferring it ti plasticard would be easier, but i found just the opposite, I bought several thicknesses .25mm, 0.5mm and 1mm and set about the hanger area, well to cut a long story short, it all went into the bin and had to be restarted, i have found all the bulkheads have to be at least 2mm thick, as it becomes far to flexible

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 09:09:08 pm »

september 2017

hanger interior

this took several attempts to get right

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:58 pm »

September 2017

hanger lighting and Helo
nItc3sg.jpg

although in the wrong colours

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 09:28:52 pm »

October 2017

aft of the hanger on the stbd side is a tower, this was only ever fitted to Fife and was a Seaslug missile RAS Rig (replenishment at sea)

NOT MY PHOTOS

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »

October 2017

Superstructure

having completed most of the after superstructure lets get the front end sorted and replace the card bits

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 09:52:03 pm »

will update more tomorrow

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:57 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Something tells me this isn't your first go at building a model ship!

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:08 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Something tells me this isn't your first go at building a model ship!

although no a fully scratch build as the hull was bought and some of the fittings as well, but this is my first non kit
1/72 Caldercraft HMS Victory

1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:06 am »

October 2017

the bridge was built separately, as i want to put some seperate electrics in, plus at this time i had considered making the this section a permanent part of the build, so that i could attach some of the superstructure to it

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 08:50:52 am »

After funnel

and the same process for the forward one

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.