Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350  (Read 36595 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:05 am »

Well Folks, here we go again.  I completed the USS Ranger CV-4 today and will post completion pictures sometime tomorrow.  This evening, I cracked open the box of the USS Yorktown CV-5, kit by Merit.  The only real flaw in this kit are the scale of the hull plating seam lines, which I have promptly sanded down to minimize.  As provided by the kit, in full scale, they would have protruded away from the hull by a whopping 14".  Otherwise, the kit gets good reviews, has lots of nice cast parts and 5 sheets of PE, for added detail.  There are a number of after market Upscale kits of PE I can tap, if I chose to spend the money.  Seriously planning on taking my time on this project for a ship worthy of my best efforts.  Hope you enjoy following along as much as I will building her.  Cheers! Dennis

kevin547n

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:32 am »

loved your Ranger build, and looking forward to this
Amerigo Vespucci -  Panart - 1/84
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66456.0.html

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:08:13 pm »

Yes, love the hull shape on this class carrier.  I am busy now drilling out every porthole on the model.  Probably over 200 of them.  Minus the "eyebrows".... If I really wanted to get with it, there is some upscale PE out there that provides the "eyebrows"... can you imagine positioning and then gluing down each one of those "brows"..... I think I'll pass on this scale.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »

I am nearly finished drilling out over 300 portholes on the hull.  Sanding the hull down to minimize the hull plate joints has effectively removed any evidence of "eyebrows" for my portholes,  So... I ordered a sheet of PE from "Free Time Hobbies" here in the US.  Hoping the ship time of this product from China will come faster. The PE are brass portholes with eyebrows attached, plus a number of variations of portholes closed and covers in the open position that I can use effectively.  From what I have read, these little babies are about 1.2mm and very testy to install... no coffee before is the rule.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 05:57:53 am »

I just was not paying attention when I put two coats of bottom paint on the hull today.  I grabbed what I thought was my "go to" for bottom paint which is "British Crimson", instead, after getting a nice second coat on, I looked at the bottle and the color I used was "Rust"... the two are almost identical and as a result, I'm a very pleased with my "mistake", but need to pay attention as this build progresses, as it is much more complex than my last build. I stick to Model Master Acryl, a water based enamel and brush on.  Have had very good luck so far with this paint.  Geese... I could I have done that?? :embarrassed:   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:40 am »

Dear Folks,  I don't often complain about a product I am working on, as I attempt to do my homework prior to purchase.  I was warned about this Merit kit of the Yorktown as to complexity of instructions  and poor fit quality of parts.  I do have a bit of build experience and just figured that I could overcome any obsticals as they appeared.  Well, it did not take long to run into issue on both accounts, fit and clarity of build instructions.  Merit, at this point get very low marks in my books.  To the point that I would not recommend this kit to anyone for the price.  There is nothing that I can't work through, but there will be some real alignment issues as I move along as its always exponential in error run out and run in.  Very disappointing, as I really like the carrier design itself.  It appears to be simply poor qualtiy control in my books.  So, with that said, the build will progress, as I will try to get my money's worth out of it.  I'll try not to whine too much to you dear folks.  :((  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:23 am »

Dennis....after reading and watching with interest each or your previous plastic kit builds, I accepted your commentary at face value as made

For you to offer comment on this current Merit kit of the Yorktown, I am sure all members will again accept your comments as constructive and factual to the parts as presented in the kit you are assembling

If your final build score is of a low mark, then this will assist members reading :-)).... I will certainly be reading & watching progress

Again, a photograph with a sentence or caption can say 1000 words :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 02:49:46 am »

Thank Derek for your understanding.  I'm afraid I just got myself bummed a bit because I enjoy the hobby so much.  When I have to start correcting manufacturers mistakes early in the game, it makes me wonder what is ahead... it might improve.  Lets hope.  Yes indeed, I will provide pictures.  I'm getting ready to post a few of some current issues.  But as always, you folks be the judge.  Regards,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 03:06:47 am »

Ok, here are a couple of areas of fit problems.  The assembly where the hanger deck bulkheads meet the foredeck was a total fit mess.  I was forced to carve several areas which you can't see now just to make the pieces fit.  This again was an area pointed out by another builder on another forum.  The next is again a fit issue causing gapping at a corner of one of the bulkheads of the hanger deck. Most likely will have to fill that corner in with square stock.  It is placed per plan.  Of course, I won't know the total issue until I attempt to bring in other pieces to that area.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:20 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:50 am »

more.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 01:46:38 pm »

Dennis,
This mis-fits certainly make for challenges. It is sad to see, because the Merit 1/200 Hornet fits as if it had been machined. You appear to have all well in hand though.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:14 pm »

I guess  I have been spoiled by good quality in the past kits from Trumpeter.  As you say, I will deal with it.  Instaliing foredeck detail now.  Should be getting my PE Eyebrows in the post today, so can start that long and laborous task that will probably make only me happy.  I do enjoy this hobbie.  Build on!   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:32:36 pm »

Now, I've got myself into it. Do I really want to do this?  Just got my PE for the porthole with eyebrows in the post.  I've attached a few to see what its like. Using an applicator, I dab a dot of fast glue to the surface, snip out the porthole and with needle tweezers, gently lay the PE on the glued surface.  I've got just a few moments before the glue kicks to move that little "xxxxx" around and then with the other end of the tweezers, I press the PE to the surface and pray.....  I attached several to a bulkhead side and one onto the hull itself.  It is somewhat maddening and I figure that I will have to attach over 350 portholes before I'm finished.  Question is, how will it look painted and will it even be noticable?  Frankly, like many of the small details on these 1/350 scale models, the details go into the overall blur and only I and maybe you folks will even know its there or what it took to get there with the final result being "zero". Some would say that I am a bit crazy.  Thats probably true, but its kind of a fun sort of crazy %%   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 09:33:06 pm »

more.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:01 pm »

Incredible  O0  Never, ever, count how many more there are to do. Just concentrate on each one, then the next.
I have enough fun doing 1/96 scale P.E. eyebrows.  This is watchmaking - rather than model making !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 12:41:03 pm »

I had the same dilemma with my 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Naiad. The special addition came with extra PE which included a full set of scuttle rims with rigols, I too thought that they would be lost after painting besides that they were far too small to manage with my shaky hands especially after a coffee lol. The quality of moulding on this kit was so good these extra PE items were superfluous.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 02:34:35 pm »

Cripes! I thought the neighbours had bought a musical clock and then I saw the number of clangers this kit is throwing at you Dennis.

Like with so many of us, the detail is worth it because we know it is there! Of course it all disappears into a blur, but maybe the blur would be more so without them?

As ever, you are pulling some hard yards and will create another marvel in model form even if the kit is a 'xxxxx'. I love looking in and seeing your next bit of work done, it inspires me when I have my moments of MOJO loss.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 04:30:27 pm »

more portholes, just keeps going and going... I'll be done next year maybe  :o

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »

Dennis,
 I never had any doubt... you are crazy. In a good way.
Jonathan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 07:43:41 pm »

%%
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:10 pm »

Look closely, it is there.  So far, I've had only two "pings"... where the part went into another dimension or something, never to be found again, if fact, I don't even try to look. {:-{

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 10:33:38 pm »

Dennis,
 I am guessing that you are using CA glue. have you considered or tried Liquid PSA glue. I have not, but it sounds like it might be easier to use than CA for this part odf your build.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 10:53:01 pm »

If PSA glue is the stuff I'm thinking it is, it is high in fumes and I can't handle that stuff.  It was clear, thin liquid, with a small brush applicator, came in a glass bottle.  I'd have to wear a respirator if I used that stuff.  Tks for the suggestion.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:59 pm »

Dennis,
 I don't think it is. Check out the MicroMart site or search PSA glue. It is a semi slow contact type glue that has a re-position time that may work for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.