Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350  (Read 36598 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »

Good input Johnathan.  I have no doubts about the support structure.  This kit does not show all of that detail.  What I did discover with interest was that they used to store aircraft with wings off, up in between those girders, which I would like to place at least one in position to be able to see when looking through one of the larger hanger deck doors.  Along with warming engines up, they also launched aircraft via side catapults from the hanger deck.  I don't know how long they kept that practice up, but they did do it.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2018, 05:00:43 pm »

My references say that transverse hanger catapults were all gone by 1944.  The last ship fitted was USS Hornet (CV 12).  They were fitted to 5 out of the 6 Essex class carriers with exception of USS Essex. There are photos of F6F Hellcats being launched from hanger catapults so they were certainly in use after September 1943 when the Hellcat reached the Squadrons.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2018, 04:55:21 am »

First Dauntless is finished.  Yes, you can just see the cockpit detail through the canopy....just.  We will know its there.  Many more to do.  I'm thinking most of these dauntless will be below on the Hanger deck, maybe 10 total.  Have to think about that.  It might be better to have as many on the Flight Deck as I can for the effect I suppose.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2018, 12:49:40 pm »

Well done Dennis.I think the cross deck cats were removed pretty early in the war. While some early Essex were built with them, as were Yorktown's Wasp and Lexington's, they were not used often, and not liked at all.Wings were also stored on bulkheads, while fuselages were suspended between girders. The hangars were busy places.Jonathan

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2018, 03:51:05 pm »

Absolutely amazing detail Dennis what a beautiful job I wish I had your patience as your results are fantastic  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2018, 10:29:11 pm »

Because you display your ships as stand alone models and not in a Diorama, maybe assembling one of the aircraft but leaving areas unpainted to show the cockpit details through the plastic and then mounting it on a wee plinth alongside the ship in the same case would demonstrate the minute details possible in models today?

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 01:26:34 am »

Thank you for the kind words.  Many options avail.  This small scale is difficult to express all of the details one can do, especially with the PE upscale kits.  Frankly, I think they try to outdo themselves on just how far they can go.  Someone asked about my steady hands.  It is amazing, they are not always steady, what with the huge amount of drugs that I have in my body now, its a wonder I can even do a fraction of this. Fact remains that when I focus into the fine work, my hands seem to steady down.  I have to work quick and I cannot tell you how many parts have gone into the great beyond through the "Ping" factor.  Many of my models have "hidden" details that only I know about and will never be seen again, but they are there and I guess I take sort of an "xxxxx" comfort in knowing that fact  As a side example, I sold a large model of the clipper ship Flying Cloud, done in wood.  Took me 3 yrs. to build.  The owner, back on the East coast does not know that the wood under the main planked deck has a good amount of my blood soaked into the solid wood hull.  Short story of it, was I stabbed my hand with my X-acto knife, severed a good size vein and proceed to bleed out onto that hull before I was able to get things undercontrol.  What was I to do?  I planked over it.  Another one of those little details that I (now you folks) know about.  Not all of my models are that gory, but all do have at least one detail that remains hidden. %)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2018, 06:18:51 am »

Pair of Devastators on the Hanger Deck foreward.  Dennis

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:00 am »

Or alternatively, alter a canopy to be open when on deck, so the detail inside can be seen
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »

I thought about that open canopy idea, but the plastic is too thick to make a sectional cut and one part slides over the other.  The scale is so small, the part would be impossible to handle..... but, that's just me, because I know its been done.  Oh the joy.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »

Ok, you made me do it.  So here it is.  As I said, the canopy casting is too thick.  I was able to cut out a section, but could not make the slider.  The insides with two seats, instrument panel and I even managed to install the main control stick.  Outside painting to be finished of course.  But, again, the detail is there. Will have to have this baby on the Flight Deck for all to see..hahahah...this is crazy. :}  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:12 pm »

I reckon the slider got shot off or was removed for repair  O0 Either that, or put it on a block representing a cart alongside it.

It looks great by the way Dennis, you are pushing your envelope daily with this build.
Pond weed is your enemy

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2018, 11:25:53 pm »

So... what is the diameter if a 1/350th scale aircraft control stick? Inquiring minds want to know.  :police: Dennis, it seems that you are pushing the envelope with every build. Amazing work.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:33 am »

I appreciate inquiring minds.... looks like 1/64x2mm (darned thing even has a grip at the end of the jog..) they couldn't have made it more realistic.  A light touch of CA and gently lowered into place...gads.. it even stuck! %%   Dennis

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2018, 07:13:21 am »

If I may make a suggestion - given what you are saying about the thickness of the plastic, could you not just cut out the piece from the canopy (A) and the piece it slides over (B) and put the sliding section into place, replacing (B) with (A)?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2018, 08:55:28 am »

If I may make a suggestion - given what you are saying about the thickness of the plastic, could you not just cut out the piece from the canopy (A) and the piece it slides over (B) and put the sliding section into place, replacing (B) with (A)?

That would work!  As per the diagram.  The cut piece 1 moves to the 2 position. The piece 3 moves to the 4 position and 5 disappears.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2018, 04:41:06 pm »

Great ref drawing and tks for that!  Yes, I could and I just might give it a go on the next one.  Tks for the tip.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2018, 02:53:56 am »

Ok, here is the best I can do on that sectional canopy.  Instrument panel, seat, control stick and rudder peddles are in there.. you will  have to trust me on that.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2018, 02:54:29 am »

more.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2018, 07:45:18 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2018, 11:03:51 pm »

First of the F4F-4 Wildcats completed.  All 5 will have wings folded and be on the hanger deck.  I have more for the Flight Deck.  Dennis

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:09 pm »

They're gonna look great when grouped together - great work Dennis. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2018, 09:08:02 pm »

Here are some pics of the completed Hanger Bay with the aircraft that I will have in position.  They are located such that they can be viewed the best through the hanger bay doors on either side of the ship.  Once the deck is on, that's it.  Its just one of those things in a model that will never be seen again.  It was fun to do.  Overhead Flight Deck support girders are next, then the Flight Deck itself... but before that, the Flight Deck, which will have a wood overlay, will be fully detailed out before installation on the model and very time consuming as you will see as things progress.  I have additional aircraft that I purchase separately to fill the Flight Deck when done.  Lots to do yet.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »

more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.