Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350  (Read 36602 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 Static Build scale 1/350
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:36 pm »

The only suggestion I can give to modify the degaussing cables would be to flatten the part already fitted to the hull with a blade scraping it along to the brackets and any junction boxes to at least reflect the shape three cables would make running alongside each other. Scribing lines along the flattened piece to represent individual conduits would be possible but uber fiddly, and most likely the job for one of the micro sculptors!

She is looking really really good Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2018, 01:24:06 am »

thank you!  Yes, i did consider flattening the round casting.  I may still play with that.  You know, Merit could have just simply cast in those cables to simulate them as easy as they did all other details cast into the hull.  The details are endless and one probably never gets them all. Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:57 pm »

I think a kit company will have a budget for developing and designing a kit, and so they will have a limit to what they can do.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2018, 05:19:27 am »

Well folks, its this sort of thing that almost drives me to drink  :(( .... I have no clue as to what this is.  I fathfully assembled the 6 very small piieces to make the part.  I had to find what I think it is on the plans, because it does not say what it is or where on the Island it is supposed to be mounted.  I circled and placed an arrow on the plans to point what I think it is. The part well be mounted on two mounts that go underneath to support.  Location is on the aft upper deck of the Island, aft of the stacks and will ultimately be under the main support tripod which supports the radar, etc.  I will try to hunt the archive photos of the ship to see if I can spot it, but I know you folks like a challenge, so I leave it to you to help me if you wish.  Thanks a bunch.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2018, 05:19:59 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2018, 05:21:07 am »

Note, the parts are two hatches, one what looks like four lights on a bar and one that is a searchlight at the top.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:08 am »

If I'm reading the GA drawing correctly it's a range finding tower and 5" gun Director.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2018, 11:54:05 am »

I could only find one good picture and the Director is obscured by bunting.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:39 pm »

Oh you guys are great.... from what I've found so far is that this "thing" does not exist.  I do make two Range Finders, one mounted on each end of the Island.  That drawing shows 2 Ranger Fnders, one smaller than the other mounted on the forward end of the Island.  That drawing also shows no gun shields, just railing... where-as my plans have gun shields both ends. Not sure what to do here.  I found where another builder just eleminated this "thing" from the model and now I can see why.  unless I can find actual proof that its real, I won't mount it.  But what do I do about the shields is still in question here.    Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »

The drawing and photo are correct up to 1940 when the Yorktown was re-fitted in San Diego.  Changes were made to the Signal bridge it's safe to assume that during that re-fit the hand rails around the top of the Pilot House were removed and replaced with a solid coaming and that the smaller stereoscopic range finder was removed at that time as well.  The Merit kit depicts Yorktown about the time of the Coral Sea and Midway so the mouldings are correct for that.
First picture is of the top of the pilot house in 1937  The small rangefinder and hand rails are quite clear.
Second picture was taken during Midway and show the configuration depicted in the kit.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2018, 09:19:02 pm »

That's it.  The first picture shows the part that I just made.  It is located just behind the Range Finder or Director?  I can see both hatches and the light on top.  Is it possible that its flag storage and signal light??  They did add a signal flag box during the refit.  I just don't know what this is?  I copied picture and circled the thing in red.  Lets hope I can post it.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »

I have a better photo of that area which I will post ASAP.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2018, 03:35:50 pm »

As promised, Dated 1937.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2018, 08:05:03 pm »

Holy Cow!  Could have never guessed, RDF and navigation equipment.  Thank you so much for this detail.  Now I can present it more accurately.  The kit only provides the iron cage that protects the (or us) from the RDF ring.  Now I can add the ring inside per the picture and do the best I can with the other equipment that the kit is providing, but not with alot of detail.  You folks are the best and now I can sleep at night... thank you!! :-))  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2018, 10:38:52 pm »

Yikes.......Yorktown had 4 screws [turbines & propellers]......

So here you see repeater stations [to navigate] using her 4 x turbines  ...amazing image TailUK :-))

I have seen a 1 x shaft repeater set and a 2 x shaft repeater, but never a 4 x shaft set...[and again duplicated for Fwd, Stdb & Port]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2018, 01:02:02 am »

This is all so very cool... I had no idea.  Couple more questions....  the two dark posts on either side of the panel that was a mystery to me. What purpose are those posts?  The other thing that struck me was that all of this equipment is not covered!  I can invision a couple of sailors out in a blow, making adjustments.  Or, was this Navigation gear mostly left unattended once a setting is made??  That matting we all know so well serves two purposes, one for traction, being out in the elements and the other for insulation perhaps.  I am so pleased, because Merit appears to have gotten things write.  I have each piece and part represented in that photo and if I can get enough magnification, I can see surface detail of those instruments.  Mostly lost at this scale, but there none the less.  I know I'm a bit odd, but this makes me a very happy man. O0  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2018, 04:10:55 am »

Dennis......I can offer explanation on the weather proofing of the Repeater Boards

Each of the sub components [gauges, analogy dials, movement displays, buttons or levers ] on each of the Repeater Boards individually would have weather  proofing specification covered by the IP Rating, the US NEMA and MIL-Spec standards to be capable of withstanding up to immersion without failure

One reason that covers or lid guards were never fitted as they themselves contain and retain moisture

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiHwvKFwObcAhXDwbwKHURpDd8QFjAAegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIP_Code&usg=AOvVaw1fosKCEPrU_9nGBDg--PUq

The 2 vertical columns appear to have at least one gimbal adjustment, electronic signal cables running down from the columns......and each appears to be at near eye sight for a human.......which would suggest a binnacle stand for a [eye] sighting/range finding device?

One must remember whilst these were War Ships, they were also 24/7 training exercises for Junior Officers/Sailors  ....so these stands could be as simple at telescope or long range binocular mounts......which had the provision for relaying the angle and bearing of Celestial Navigation plotting logged down to a second location

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2018, 04:27:36 am »

Thank you Derek, you have been most helpful and knowledgeable.  This is what brings this hobby to life and makes it so much fun to investgate and recreate something from so long ago.  Naval history has always been a passion for me, as I so enjoyed my time serving in the U.S. Navy from 1965 to 1969 and did serve aboard the Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Ranger CVA-61 (now scrapped).  I plan to model the Ranger as my last in the carrier series I am doing.  There are no kits in 1/350 scale of the Ranger, so I think I will be using the Trumpeter kit of the U.S.S. Kittyhawk and modify and rebadge to create the Ranger.  Thanks again sir.  Best regards, Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2018, 09:12:29 pm »

In asking the questions and fellow Boatists helping, this increases the reference scope of the forum. Anyone wanting to build a larger scale model of her can go detail mad now.
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2018, 10:16:30 am »

As far as I can tell the post like structure is what is known as an Alidade.  The little arm at the top reads against a compass and gives bearings on the object sighted.  Given the bulk of the fitting perhaps a gyro stabilised compass with electronic repeater to the steering or navigation positions. Maybe.
One thing did occur to me.  Firstly why put an auxiliary navigation position right on top of the main steering position.  Emergency steering positions were usually well away from the bridge at the stern so if the bridge was knocked out they could still control the ship, for example H.M.S. Exeter during the action against the Graf Spee.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2018, 02:25:31 pm »

Interesting points.  When I was aboard the Ranger, she had aux steering station in the stern, just below the flight deck.  I will faithfully repoduce what is there best I can and try to give a positional photo of the model to match and see how close I get.  Still got lots of detail work to do just in that area.  It will take time as always. Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2018, 03:26:19 pm »

As far as I can tell the post like structure is what is known as an Alidade.  The little arm at the top reads against a compass and gives bearings on the object sighted.  Given the bulk of the fitting perhaps a gyro stabilised compass with electronic repeater to the steering or navigation positions. Maybe.
One thing did occur to me.  Firstly why put an auxiliary navigation position right on top of the main steering position.  Emergency steering positions were usually well away from the bridge at the stern so if the bridge was knocked out they could still control the ship, for example H.M.S. Exeter during the action against the Graf Spee.
OK strike the first paragraph.  Further research (sounds grand doesn't it, actually I just looked at some more books)  If you look carefully there's quite a big counterweight on the Starboard side column which means it's meant to have something heavy attached to it, probably a big pair of binoculars.  This could indicate that they are "Target Indicators" The target is spotted through the binoculars and then the fire control computers "zeros" the armament onto it.   They look a bit complex to be lookout stations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »

Anybodys guess at this point mate.... I'm with  you, makes good sense as to purpose.  I've decided to attempt to add wiring cables under units where I can just for fun... pretty darn small though.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:10 pm »

Anybodys guess at this point mate.... I'm with  you, makes good sense as to purpose.  I've decided to attempt to add wiring cables under units where I can just for fun... pretty darn small though.  Dennis

Very small drill bits can be a right royal pain in the neck so if you haven't got one already get yourself a pin vice or pin chuck.  I used to get through dozens of fine drills until someone gave me this tip. If you know anyone who plays the guitar ask them to keep their old strings for you, a wire guitar string can be used as a drill especially in plastic.  Put a short length in the pin vice and clip it off about 10 mm long then use it like a drill bit.  You can get hundreds of throwaway bits from one guitar string.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2018, 07:20:29 am »

I've decided to attempt to add wiring cables under units where I can just for fun... pretty darn small though.  Dennis
Discarded cell phone accessories - hands free cables etc can yield some excellent fine wires when stripped which can be useful.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.