Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attention Club Committees - GDPR  (Read 5085 times)

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
Attention Club Committees - GDPR
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »

A note for all club committee members, especially membership secretaries.
GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation happens in May 2018.
This replaces the Data Protection Act from 25th May 2018.
GDPR appears to be concerned with any 'collections' of club members data (Name, Address, Telephone, etc.) and the member's permission for the purposes of which that data will be used for.
It may not affect your club, but check it out.
I may be opening a can of worms here.
If so, I apologise, but best to be safe than sorry and get fined for non-compliance.

Bintur Ellenbach

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Attention Club Committees - GDPR
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 01:42:22 pm »

We have already initiated this at Black Park MBC.  Basically you need a form to be completed by each member saying which item/s of data they are willing for the club to retain. ie:  Land line / mobile number, e-address, home address.  Members can elect to authorise one or more data items for the purpose of being contacted for club business.  If we don't get a form back we can't contact you, except if we see you at the lake for a chat.

Data Protection gone crazy IMO, considering whenever you buy anything on line they invariably require the lot, and often use it to bombard you with spam afterwards.

However - It is a requirement, so clubs do not delay.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:09:37 pm »

We have already initiated this at Black Park MBC.  Basically you need a form to be completed by each member saying which item/s of data they are willing for the club to retain. ie:  Land line / mobile number, e-address, home address.  Members can elect to authorise one or more data items for the purpose of being contacted for club business.  If we don't get a form back we can't contact you, except if we see you at the lake for a chat.

Data Protection gone crazy IMO, considering whenever you buy anything on line they invariably require the lot, and often use it to bombard you with spam afterwards.

However - It is a requirement, so clubs do not delay.

Thankyou for that concise summary Bob.
It also reads as if you have to have the members permission written by hand and not sent to you via email !
Bonkers !
Bintur Ellenbach

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:24:39 pm »

and this wont apply to the dvla who can sell your data to any cowboy LOL

John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:34:54 pm »

I hope it doesn't apply to Forums, or
Martin will have a tad too much post
and paperwork >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »

Having checked with southern fed I have contacted all our members and had verbal consent  to store information. From the 18 of May our membership form will have to a box for new members to tick and sign giving approval for information to be stored. If any information is passed in can only be done  with the consent of persons concerned, again I will be recording this action. Actions needed after consent from members  a  document will  be drawn up stating who holds this information and how. If stored electronically what measures are in place to protect this in formation. Any member who leaves  must have their information removed from any lists. This is just the tip of a large iceberg. Before you shoot me down we have over 200 members  and getting letters signed from them giving consent then leads to the problem were do you store safely, a double edge sword me thinks.

Stan.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »

We have always required written agreement for a member's contact details to be shared with another member.

Here is the Data Protection Notice recommended by our legal eagle.

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »

We have always required written agreement for a member's contact details to be shared with another member.

Here is the Data Protection Notice recommended by our legal eagle.

Hi kinmel,

Is this available for other groups to pass to their members?

Dave

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:39:44 pm »

Hi kinmel,

Is this available for other groups to pass to their members?

Dave

Please do, if your want it as a word document so you can adapt it, just send an email to me using the address on the page.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 07:04:59 pm »

You could flog this topic to death we are small model clubs not multi nationals who have large H R  depts. and large legal teams working on this new law. Not every club has legal person to turn to for advice and they will endeavour to do their best to meet the new law. I am sure we will all do our best to protect members information just like  we have done in the past. But we all work in different ways  hopefully with same goal in sight.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ :(( :(( :((

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:53 pm »

Another committee meeting spent NOT talking about boats!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »

You could flog this topic to death we are small model clubs not multi nationals who have large H R  depts. and large legal teams working on this new law. Not every club has legal person to turn to for advice and they will endeavour to do their best to meet the new law. I am sure we will all do our best to protect members information just like  we have done in the past. But we all work in different ways  hopefully with same goal in sight.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ :(( :(( :((

As Club Secretary I am also the designated Officer for - Health and Safety, Data Protection, Safe Guarding etc, etc, etc...  and each responsibility exposes me to personal liabilities and penalties.

Our Club insurance provides legal protection for it's officers, but when it all goes wrong the Secretary carries the blame. Putting the proper guidance in place and strictly enforcing it is my first line of protection.

The Health and Safeguarding Guidance is also issued annually to all members and new members on enrollment.

We take it seriously because it is.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 08:28:02 pm »

By virtue of what we do ( blow stuff up for all to enjoy! ) we have extensive documentation on many subjects An extensive rule book, bespoke risk assessments for individual events, both static and active, on the water shows, child and vulnerable adult guide lines, a sensibly worded insurance document covering our specific needs. Our pyrotechnic models are tested ( cannot call it an MOT! ) before the season starts, once they pass this is recorded and held every year. We have four appointed safety officers, a pyrotechnic officer and display officer, where the buck stops at any organised event. Always fun when the Chairman or Secretary is read the riot act at an event. No room for prima donna types.
All of this IS annoying, but it is an essential part of twenty first century life. I look forward to explaining this latest addition to our paper trail, to some of our, shall we say, twentieth century members!

Things were much simpler then though...... %)

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 09:15:21 pm »

Just to stir the pot .......... I have a phone book in my house which contains thousands of phone numbers and addresses ....... so, do I have to be compliant with the requirements of GDPR. Just asking !!!!!!!!!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:14 pm »

Not wrong there1 Does it also count if you have your own phonebook of friends and acquaintances details?

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 07:14:11 pm »

I have become involved with this as the Membership Secretary of the British Woodcarvers Association. Hopefully most of our 1000 or so members will give the required permission by signing an appropriately worded form when they renew their annual membership in June.

For anybody else involved with their club there is a helpline for the Information Commissioner's Office where they will give advice to assist organisations in complying with the legislation and will guide you on how to resolve problems. The number is 0303 123 1113.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:36 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 03:07:10 pm »

Well done Martin,
         That sums it up nicely! I believe the Political term is "covering ones back".
                    Cheers, Pete. :-)) :-)) :-))

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:04 am »

If you have had to contend with GDPR this might make you smile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i5WuBbfhss&feature=youtu.be

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:36 pm »

I have a new issue here & I would appreciate thoughts. I am involved with a local history group which has thousands of photographs supplied by hundreds of people covering a period of over 100 years. Identifiable individuals in the photos are not necessarily the people who gave us the photos. As GDPR covers photos just as much as documents, and we put the photo collection on public display at various events, we are wondering where we stand.

Names & addresses of a limited number of members is easy but an unknown number of people in a very large number of photos taken in both public & private locations has us very confused.

We really don't know who we would need to ask for permissions, where all the photos came from nor can we be sure that we have identified everybody on them. 

Does this forum have the same problem? 

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 12:22:32 pm »

I have a new issue here & I would appreciate thoughts. I am involved with a local history group which has thousands of photographs supplied by hundreds of people covering a period of over 100 years. Identifiable individuals in the photos are not necessarily the people who gave us the photos. As GDPR covers photos just as much as documents, and we put the photo collection on public display at various events, we are wondering where we stand.

Names & addresses of a limited number of members is easy but an unknown number of people in a very large number of photos taken in both public & private locations has us very confused.

We really don't know who we would need to ask for permissions, where all the photos came from nor can we be sure that we have identified everybody on them. 

Does this forum have the same problem?

Does the image below, copied from the Wicksted thread, which names & locates an individual have any GDPR issues. It also shows clear biometric facial recognition possibilities! We are so confused and have hundreds of photos like this one.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 12:27:27 pm »

I think you just have to be prepared to remove them if somebody objects, but like all things GDPR, its never put as clearly as that, surely though it must be fairly tolerant, or facebook would have been shut down by now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.