Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanganui River Steam Tug Kumea  (Read 9681 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wanganui River Steam Tug Kumea
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »

Well, finally managed to finish everything .

I've tried to make it as close as possible to the only existing photo. It wasn't much to go on but I'm happy the way it turned out – even down to the fenders still over the rails while steaming – always a no-no to have lines over the side when you're moving.

I made a couple of concessions: the ship's boat is not lying on the deck (as in the photo) and I've had to guess at the deck equipment and colours but we'll never know for sure. I went for a selection of traditional 1920's colours and they work well together.

The boat has nice lines and looks like a real greyhound. I'm happy with the way the hull turned out. I seem to have more success with complex curves than with straight line hard chine hulls.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:06 pm »

A few more close ups

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:45 pm »

Last few...

The final touches on this build took longer than anticipated and I had already started planning for my next project so the last 2% seemed to drag on.

I hadn't made a tug from this era before and it was more enjoyable than imagined – they sure have more character than the modern tugs. The big funnel and ventilators works for me.

The extra effort and hassle of the rivets, fenders and chain link steering has all been worthwhile although it sure didn't feel that way at the time.

Thanks for following and all comments have been greatly appreciated.

Now, what's next...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 11:21:54 pm »

Yes...again all very crisp Steve......we can see the lightly distressed rivet detail etc :-))

Just one observation....a part of the Fireman's job in these craft to set the air intake scoops to maximize air movement and as such to lower the ambient air temperature in and around the boiler/engine space and commonly used in conjunction with an opened engine room skylight as the warm/hot air outlet

These air scoops [often called ventilators] are as distinct to air educators which drawer air out of enclosed spaces 

So getting back to the Fireman's role...this was the setting the ventilators direction to capture the prevailing breeze......so setting both athwart ship is questionable

[don't be concerned about a visible turning mechanism for the ventilators, these were simple telescopic rods to hand or ratchet wheels to rotate the ventilators from the lower boiler room floor space at chest height...[the level was also called the boiler flat]

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2018, 03:54:13 am »

Must have been the same guy who left the fenders hanging over the sides, Derek.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2018, 08:40:44 am »

When I first went to sea as a Cadet it was out duty to set the ventilators as per the OOW instructions. We had forced ventilation to the lower holds and natural ventilation for the tween and centrecastle decks. Windward vents faced away from the wind and leeward vents faced into the wind. This method reduced any Water/spray ingress to the compartments and maximised air change below.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:35 am »

The vents are the white ones on ships side on centrecastle deck forward of the accommodation.
Jerry.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.