Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords filler primer  (Read 2879 times)

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
Halfords filler primer
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:38:16 am »

Couple of questions,
1)  Is Halfords filler/primer  and top coats acrylic
2)  If so it safe to use Vallejo acrylics on top of the Halfords

I have had problems mixing manufacturers in the past and really don't need that now.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated,
Dave..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Halfords filler primer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:45:22 am »

Yes, Halfords automotive (and probably their other paints too) are 'acrylic' but 'acrylic can include a lot of different chemical makeups. Stavros can no doubt give you a definitive answer.

There are two types of filler primer, plastic and non plastic. The plastic filler primer seems to be considered best for model boats where it is likely to be used on GRP, ABS or wood which are more flexible than the metal of car bodies.

Colin

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »

Thanks Colin,
 I will wait over the Easter to see if Stavros or other members have tried these two paints together. Other than that I suppose it's get some and try it on some scrap.
 I can say though the Vallejo paints I have airbrushed in the past for small parts have been excellent and hope to use it for weathering over the main colour.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

You shouldnt have any problems at all....BUT BUT BUT  for heavens sake try some out first on some scrap plasticard.....These acrylics these days are so ficle tbh.....

Dave

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:15:17 pm »

Personal experience here. I use Duplicolor vehicle primer, thats all I can get hold of here. I used to use Humbrol enamel over them. However my last two builds I have gone with Vallejo acrylics with no problem- unless you have thinned them down too far! I personally don't use water as a diluent with them either, preferring Vallejo's own thinner.

For immersion in water I still use enamel clearcoat over the acrylics. I'm yet to be convinced that a acrylic based paint (Vallejo) meant for plastic static modelling is actually water proof. Vallejo say it is water resistant - that's a big difference!

Metal mangler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:24 pm »

Thanks Stavros and Brian,
As you say I think the only safe way is to curb my impatience and do some separate trials with the paints before mucking up the hull. Also thanks for the thoughts about just how waterproof the Vallejo paints are.  At the moment I have clear coated the torpedo with vallejo's clear matt polyurethane, so fingers crossed. At my pace it will probably be a few months but I will post how the paints perform.

Dave..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.