Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Five more for the scapyard  (Read 3433 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Five more for the scapyard
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:48:42 pm »

The rate at which the offshore industry is scrapping vessels is out of control at the moment. These 5 heading for the Indian breakers yards belong to Tidewater.

After years of an industry that seemed to have no ceiling, it all came crashing down with the economic downturn of 2010. While most of the world is back on its feet the offshore industry has turned to cheap rate ships and crews from the far east. The result is a lot of European and American companies are scrapping ships many of which are under 8 years old! Scrapping them means they don't get snapped up by these cheapo companies from the far east.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Five more for the scapyard
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:24:18 pm »

Bl oo dy tragic  <:( There's some fine shipping there. How many millions is off to the breakers there Brian?
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:39:04 am »

No idea Ian, but the three nearest the camera were only delivered from the builders in 2012! The amount of shipping going to the breakers is phenomenal in the offshore industry. I think I mentioned around xmas time that one of the biggest hitters Maersk, had sent 40 of its 60 ship offshore fleet to the breakers yards.

I accept its natural progression when fleets are 20 years or more old, but just a couple of years? I heard of one that was built in 2014, barely 4 years old but it has been sent to the scrappers. Something is not right.

In Hulls Albert dock there are 7 Toisa owned ships that have been tied up since 2011. They call it cold storage, when to be honest there will never be work for them and in time they will go the same way.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »

I am not sure if it is the same problem but there are 15-20 drilling boats like the ones below tied up/ anchored off Tenerife & Gran Canaria. They seem to be fixtures.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »

Yes it is the same problem mate. The oil/gas companies have cut way back on exploration. The problem arises in that some of these boats are now a few years old so get tied up. But the industry still commisions new ones, leaving these outdated and only fit for scrap. Its not only exploration ships like those, if you could look in the Norwegian fjiords or the Scottish sea lochs there are full size oil and gas production/drilling platforms also in storage. Eventually they'll all end up on a beach in Turkey, India or Pakistan.

RST

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »

I can’t go into politics but about 2013-14 somebody I believe now is carrying a Russian dictionary tried to claim everything “Precious” style which never worked.  That I experienced was the start of our proper demise in the North Sea though the plans then were ditched when they saw every contractor start pulling out almost overnight.  Secondly, rather than our country support an industry it’s let it conveniently dwindle away, forgetting the fact they were potentially wrong trying to claim “precious” before a certain nationally important vote which (thankfully) didn’t go their way. 
...We spent 10’s of M servicing my last DSV a few years ago.  I’ve been keeping watch and she’s apparently sitting in the knackers yard in Malta now.  I always said at last re-fit the expenditure was crazy but to be honest she was one old boat, but seaworthiness and diving reputation almost second to none!!!

I converted a newbuild before, brand new ship from the yard to a pipelayer.  I saw she’s been laid-up for a good while now on AIS.  About a year back I heard she’s such a good boat she would be scrapped rather than sold to a competitor.  That breaks my heart as 10 months on the job and 6 at least in Finland in winter (-30oC and the rest) in 2009/2010 makes allot of work we did seem not worthwhile.

As for me, I am in the 15-20 years’ experience 0ffshore bracket. Everyone else I know the same is forced out of it.  We know how to do it all but apparently too expensive to hire without asking.  Graduates to 5 years experience apparently reign now for jobs.  We ALL know the unofficial black-list for any other job existed way before it was exposed on national media and trust me work has been hard.  I never rested on my laurels from day one but while I was applying for every other engineering job on the sun, nobody will employ someone educated to at least sweep floors, labouring, industrial cleaning, basic admin to at least pay some form of bills.  DWP screwed me when I reluctantly needed them and HMRC screwed me since for no reason.  I said since I would probably rather jump off the Kessock suspension bridge then have to deal DWP if I was out of work again.  I have paid every penny of tax since year dot (no offshore tax dodges for me) and I have been hammered by HMRC / DWP sice.

As for boats laid up –it’s a changing industry.  Decommissioning is the big thing, but the foreign contractors have had it sown up for years.  I did 18 months  of it on our boat, lots of jobs going with contractors but I don’t speak Dutch or Germanic. Says allot.  Our Government doesn't  support a decommissioning industry much -why would they when the europeans have it already sown up!

It's a sad state of affairs.  Supposed to be up to 150,000 workers in the UK affected up to now.  Nobody in "higher" levels has done much.

You can no doubt tell I am somewahat bitter about the experience!!  We have to develop and change but I feel myself and my peers have been thrown out on the scrap heap unceremonianally, this suits the government figures somewhat so the extent of the issue is masked.

For myself I am working as a mech eng in a very small company which I am eternally grateful for (quite insulting for a Nav Architect to be called a mech. engineer but no bother).  HSE is non-existant.  It breaks may heart every morning and is a real struggle to get up at all though, I unblocked a sewage pumping station today -I will never eat in one of two popular chains (never did but vever will judjing by today).

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:05:56 am »

Yes it is the same problem mate....................... Its not only exploration ships like those, if you could look in the Norwegian fjiords or the Scottish sea lochs there are full size oil and gas production/drilling platforms also in storage. Eventually they'll all end up on a beach in Turkey, India or Pakistan.

A couple of the many examples at the Canary Islands. Plenty of choice here!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 10:07:47 am »

Your last photo has the right label on its side for any budding entrepreneur? {-) {-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:18:12 am »

More news from the offshore sector.

Toisa shipping have finally ceased trading and applied for bankruptcy. TWENTY SIX of its anchor handler and supply boat fleet are either to be scrapped or sold off on the cheap - there are 7 of these ships moored in cold storage in Hull docks and have been there for 2 years!

Additionally another 23 of its bulk cargo and tanker fleet are to go as well, the remaining fleet has been sold on to other companies.

Its hard times for offshore companies and their seamen as well.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 02:39:14 pm »

There's three in Birkenhead as well.

LB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »

Bloomin heck! All that steel and non ferrous scrap is going to hit the metals market. maybe that is also why the companies are holding onto them to try and get a better price for their hulls? A million or more tons of steel on the market would have an effect surely??
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:32 pm »

If memory serves me correct Toisa also ran a number of Standby Vessels - don't know whether they are still about or not - most were converted trawlers I believe.

Regards,

Ray.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:13 pm »

Here's a photo of 8 of the TOISA owned ships. They have been cold stacked ie, everything turned off and all access doors welded shut, for the last 4 years. In that time none of them have moved from Hull's docks, except for one, it was towed around from King George dock to Albert dock.

I've posted it today as I have heard a rumour that they owe Associated British Ports (ABP) a number running into 7 figures in port/dock/harbour dues. %% I reckon they'll be lucky to see any of that from the administrators.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 04:42:31 pm »

Here's a photo of 8 of the TOISA owned ships. They have been cold stacked ie, everything turned off and all access doors welded shut, for the last 4 years. In that time none of them have moved from Hull's docks, except for one, it was towed around from King George dock to Albert dock.

I've posted it today as I have heard a rumour that they owe Associated British Ports (ABP) a number running into 7 figures in port/dock/harbour dues. %% I reckon they'll be lucky to see any of that from the administrators.

Not forgetting the two/three in Birkenhead as well.
LB

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 04:52:33 pm »

Not forgetting the two/three in Birkenhead as well.
LB
Also 1 in Goole dock but that is due to be towed downriver to Hull later this week. There are also a couple up in Aberdeen as well.

mrturbo553

• Full Mayhemer
    • North Sea winches
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 04:20:59 pm »

Gone racing back in 9.5 sec
http://www.nswinches.co.uk

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:04 am »

Bri we still have the one at Goole .

http://www.humber.com/admin/ftp/Ships%20at%20Berth%20Summary.pdf
sorry not answered, I'm in UK dealing with a bereavement then to cap that a emergency hospital admission (not for me) early this morning. Been a few days since I looked in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.