Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malwarebytes Problem  (Read 1669 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Malwarebytes Problem
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:31 am »

I know a lot of people use Malwarebytes to help guard against nasties on the computers and have used the free version myself without problems as something to be run every now an again as a PC health check. However I discovered a not very well documented issue yesterday when my Windows Mail email client stopped working and resisted all attempts to uninstall it so it could be replaced. After several hours investigation including a system restore  >>:-( I finally discovered that a Malwarebytes update had 'given' me a live monitoring trial and this apparently contains a self protection routine which can block certain legitimate apps and programs, one of which appears to be Windows Mail and Calendar. Uninstalling Malwarebytes resolved the problem but by then it was after midnight.  <*<

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Malwarebytes Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:08:54 pm »

>:-o >:-o

I use Malwarebytes premium and don't normally have problems with it, but then I don't use the microsnot calendar or email client, preferring googles offerings in their place.

What does get my goat though is Windows Defender is a particularly good virus detector, but Malwarebytes disables it for its own system  instead. No way to override it except to stop using Malwarebytes.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:12:07 pm »

>:-o >:-o

........................What does get my goat though is Windows Defender is a particularly good virus detector................

That isn't the opinion of most of the reviews that I read.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:24:14 pm »

Interesting!

I've also had that issue with other AV software installing "Free Pro trials" via a 'Pop Under', Zone Alarm, AVG pro, McAfee, etc, etc.

.... they can be a bitch to fathom out or uninstall as Colin testifies.   >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:31:51 pm »

I've recently uninstalled MalwareBytes - it had 'upgraded' itself to a free trial and then keeps bothering me with pop-up reminders to extend/upgrade. It's outlived its usefulness.
AVG just made my computer like wading through treacle - gone
AdblockPlus - slowed everything up to much - gone.
Ghostery - made page loading take forever - gone.

uBlock Origin now installed.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:12 pm »

Not Winders, but my Mac managed to find a download of MacKeeper from somewhere, not my doing, I suspect it was wrapped up with an auto update from Apple or Epson. However it made itself a total nuisance nagging me to dump files but not saying what. It also appeared incompatible with the Bitdefender scanning tool which considered it malware . The Bitdefender tried deleting the MacKeeper but could not , after quite some time of running the scans Bitdefender has just found a way and dumped MacKeeper off my machine, I assume it learnt the way to do it and gave it the big E 
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.