Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rechargeable battery Question  (Read 2179 times)

lilgoth

• Heavy Metal pirate
  • Full Mayhemer
Rechargeable battery Question
« on: April 08, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »

so i have moved over to rechargeable batteries for my new Radio receiver, but i have noticed that they only produce 1.2v as opposed to the 1.5 that non rechargeable batteries do, so i wonder if i should / could move to a 5 cell setup providing 6v rather than a 4 cell setup that only outputs 4.8v

The same question applies for the Transmitter, givern it takes 8 batteries i only get 9.6v rather than the 12 it should have, although in this case due to limited space i was thinking about a 11.1v Lipo battery to power the transmitter, again would this work or damage the Transmitter in anyway ?
The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

The Cake Is A Lie

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Rechargeable battery Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:10:35 pm »

It all depends on the make / model of your transmitter.  Most manufacturers allow for 1.2V rechargeable batteries as otherwise you could be replacing them all almost every time you sail. 
You say it is "new", in which case I would read the manual that came with it, or if you don't have that then Google the make/model plus "manual" to read it online.

Receivers are usually powered by 4.8V so rechargeable batteries should be fine.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:52 pm »

Hi lingoth, hasn't,t your esc got a Bec ? You can use a Bec,s unit, (see component shop).
As Bob states check your instructions. I know quite a few people who have purchased the lipo
Transmitter batteries, they are a lot lighter to carry too. You will have to buy a suitable charger
For lipo,s though if you don't already have one.
What main power battery are you using?

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »

Hi Lilgoth, regarding your query on voltages.  Dry common type batteries or rather cells, have terminal voltage of 1.5 volts that is what the chemical reaction produces.  NiCad and Nimh cells are 1.2 volts. 
Lithium type cells are 3.7 volts, lead acid cells are 2volts on load.  You may have noticed that some domestic items had 3 Nicads in them to give 3,6 volts this was in preparation for Lithium cells at 3,7 volts.

Batteries or wired together cells are commonly in 4 cell format giving 4.8 volts and 6 cells giving 7.2 volts and here you can see that is close to having two lithium cells giving 2 x 3.7v or 7.4 volts. 
There are 5 cell packs giving 6 volts and the shops that deal with us will make up a set for you.  With 8 cells you get 9,6 volts which will drive your transmitter OK.
Cadmium and lead are no-no's for the environment and should be returned to be disposed of separately.
The 6 cell pack when fully charged will give an extremely high current if short circuited and could cause a fire, so be careful.  Lithium type batteries should be charged exactly as instructed.
Boeing had on board fires with Lithium batteries in their Dreamliner possibly due to charging, now they are mounted in steel fireproof containers.  These same type of battery operate our new cordless vaccuum cleaners together with the super efficient brushless motor.  Batteries are portable energy and should be respected as such.
There are other types of cell but the ones above are the ones we usually see.
Hope this helps.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:47 am »

so i have moved over to rechargeable batteries for my new Radio receiver, but i have noticed that they only produce 1.2v as opposed to the 1.5 that non rechargeable batteries do, so i wonder if i should / could move to a 5 cell setup providing 6v rather than a 4 cell setup that only outputs 4.8v

The same question applies for the Transmitter, givern it takes 8 batteries i only get 9.6v rather than the 12 it should have, although in this case due to limited space i was thinking about a 11.1v Lipo battery to power the transmitter, again would this work or damage the Transmitter in anyway ?
Most circuits are designed to work off a range of voltages because new/fully charged have a higher voltage than that stated on the label, discharging ones, lower.  RC manufacturers are aware that it is possible to put ether dry or rechargeable cells into the same size holder.  The circuits will work off either.  Some plug-in accessories must only be run on either a 4.8 volt supply or from a regulated BEC.  The instructions that come with the item explain things if read.
A BEC will usually drop voltage to enable a low voltage circuit to run off a higher voltage battery.  Unless it is a very special one, it won't increase voltage.  Transmitters have their own built in BEC to allow them to use either dry cells giving 12 volts or rechargeables at 9.6.  LiPos are within the range, so work OK, just be careful about charging.  To get the LiPo pack into the compartment might require some cutting of the case plastic and fitting the right connector, so there will be "damage".  Electrically, not a problem.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:41:10 am »

Your typical Alkaline battery is only going to give you 1.5v when it’s brand new. It will soon drop to 1.2 v and below. A fully charged NiMH will be a good 1.3v and keep to 1.2v till almost the end of its life. That’s why its fine to run RX/ servos on 6v dry cell or 4.8v NiMH. Running on 6v NIMH will make your servos move faster but potentially shorten its life.

Regular Duracell

http://professional.duracell.com/downloads//datasheets/product/Plus%20Power/Plus_AA_MN1500.pdf

Rechargeable Duracell
http://professional.duracell.com/downloads//datasheets/product/Rechargeable%20Cells/Duracell%20Rechargeable%20AA.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.